Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Fermionic condensate, the sixth form of matter

Solid, liquid, gas, plasma and Bose-Einstein condensate got a new friend, a fermionic condensate: [url]http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994619[/url]

Researchers hope that this new condensate will make possible to produce superconductors that work at room temperatures. Very ambitious project they have there... :cool:

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Just a tad, given that they have a slight difference between their current required temperature and room temperature. :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Bookmarked.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    great.. someones actually (re) discovered illudium fosdyke....

and I was all out of shaving cream

:D

the whole superconductor bit has always facinated me... everyones so obsessed with making 'room tempreture' SC's... if you want to do research into superconductivity... do it in space with all that lovely 'free' cold hard vacuum..:)

if SC based computing is your goal.. cool... have a massive super fast 'puter in orbit... I cant think of a better place for one in terms of access...

(until of course the Aliens steal it to play thier version of Atari games..:D)
    Yeah, and maglev trains are going to be so very useful in orbit rather than on the ground. So will our power lines. The reason people are obsessed with room temperature superconductors is because they have plenty of applications on earth.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]great.. someones actually (re) discovered illudium fosdyke....

and I was all out of shaving cream

:D

the whole superconductor bit has always facinated me... everyones so obsessed with making 'room tempreture' SC's... if you want to do research into superconductivity... do it in space with all that lovely 'free' cold hard vacuum..:)

if SC based computing is your goal.. cool... have a massive super fast 'puter in orbit... I cant think of a better place for one in terms of access...

(until of course the Aliens steal it to play thier version of Atari games..:D) [/B][/QUOTE]

And what exactly is your argument against developing superconductive materials (for use) here on earth?
  • Funny Ironic Considerate...

sounds like me.... :D :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I just wish it didn't sound like something out of Star Trek ;)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I just wish it didn't sound like something out of Star Trek ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I think it's more of a reference to Enrico/Enrique Fermi (SP?)

Fermi Labs... etc
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Still sounds like something out of star trek :D
    Don't forget the narrowband polaron beam! And remember kids: When in doubt, reverse the polarity!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Yeah, and maglev trains are going to be so very useful in orbit rather than on the ground. So will our power lines.[/B][/QUOTE]
    SB seems to be having negative attitude against all new things. (remember fusion thread)

Room temperature SCs would remove losses in transmission of electricity and in that way reduce stress of environment. (is this good enough reason for their research, SB?)
  • nah, he IS the master ranter...to rant you need to get worked up about something...

he has that down pat :D

(Expects a rant about this post) ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]SB seems to be having negative attitude against all new things. (remember fusion thread)[/B][/QUOTE]

I noticed. :D
    Bump; I'm interested in SB's reply.
    You're not the only one.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    lol....

really guys... its the extreme boffinage that I find amusing...

regardless of just how wonderful SC's are or arent...

no scientist seems happy without 4000000000volts/amps/mhz and its GOT to have dry ice.... yeah... lots of dry ice... or its simply not cool enough to work on, and yeah... its got to have a huge polysyllabic name too

reading that article I couldnt find much that seemed to be even close to the realms of practical application...

making one tenth of a poofteenth of bugger all of some super exotic 'stuff' does not maketh the world go 'round. I'd get excited if I believed it's going to go much further

the KISS principle is one I live by and very much believe in.

I know what advantages an RTSC has...

and you guys really do have selective memories.... 6 of you posted in my FRC thread... now THAT, was something very new...
    [B]reading that article I couldnt find much that seemed to be even close to the realms of practical application...

making one tenth of a poofteenth of bugger all of some super exotic 'stuff' does not maketh the world go 'round. I'd get excited if I believed it's going to go much further[/B][/QUOTE]

Most of your post didn't seem particularly coherent, so I'm limited to this little chunk. :)

There is absolutely no way to tell what pratical applications anything may have when you're at the early stages of research. That's no reason to not do it. The practical applications are found by later scientists once how it works/can be created is known.

[b]the whole superconductor bit has always facinated me... everyones so obsessed with making 'room tempreture' SC's... if you want to do research into superconductivity... do it in space with all that lovely 'free' cold hard vacuum..:)[/b][/quote]

[B]I know what advantages an RTSC has...[/b][/quote]

Is it just me or do these two separate statements not go together at all? In the first you sound like you don't understand why people are obsessed with creating room temp superconductors, and yet in the second you claim to know what the advantages of them are.

[quote][b]and you guys really do have selective memories.... 6 of you posted in my FRC thread... now THAT, was something very new... [/B][/QUOTE]

So?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Well, getting away from all this negative PC ranting...

I should think that advantage and uses for a RTSC is self-evident and a no-brainer.

If the end result allows for mag-lev, high efficiency power transmission, and about a half billion things I can already apply my mind to for it... at a cheap price and wide availability, then it's worth all the trouble.

The average consumer won't be able to monkey/fidget with low temperature coolants and what not if they stay in the realm of the lab.

;)