Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Colonizing mars

Whats the big deal about Colonizing mars and the moon. I mean why spend trillions of dollars colonizing dead planets. When we can spend the money fixing up our own planet which last I checked is still a habitual planet??????

Comments

• 1) Earth won't be able to support us forever. Even if we don't screw it up, we've got to worry about overpopulation.
    2) If an apocalyptic space rock ever did strike Earth, Humanity would be lost.
    3) The Human desires to expand, explore, and
    4) Because we can
    5) One step closer to building Babylon 1. :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    What he said.
    If you want to stay here all your life, go right ahead.
  • How did that quote go?...

The meek SHALL inherit the Earth. The rest of us will be in Alpha Centauri.

something like that.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]How did that quote go?...

The meek SHALL inherit the Earth. The rest of us will be in Alpha Centauri.

something like that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Alpha Centauri is a Trinary star system with no planet. Even if there are none of them will be habitual.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]Alpha Centauri is a Trinary star system with no planet. Even if there are none of them will be habitual. [/B][/QUOTE]

No planet, huh? You've been and checked, have you?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]No planet, huh? You've been and checked, have you? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes I have Biggles.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]Alpha Centauri is a Trinary star system with no planet. Even if there are none of them will be habitual. [/B][/QUOTE]

Who needs planets.. Can you say Ringworld or Dyson Sphere?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Just one thing...

Habitual Planets?

I'm visualizing a commercial about not doing CRACK. Which in the case of Mars is too late. There's one big one running along the equator of Mars already...

:p

:D
    Ok, seriously...

What's the big deal?

Probably first and foremost is the desire to get some room between me and people who want to micromanage my life, and plaster my senses with unhealthy input.

Make out of that what you will, but in the long run, Mars could be a pristine Earth type planet that we could start again with and perhaps do it right this time. Also, since the colonization of Mars could reduce stress and strain on the Earth, we could repair and rebuild the eco systems...

Just my thoughts...
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    Trouble is I think here will be already well overly populated (as it is in some countries already) by the time we or Mars is ready for us. We certainly couldn't transport loads of humans yet. We need the technology for that too. Unless you're thinking of starting from scratch basically.

How about Time travel? If this existed as I believe it does and worm holes, Mars won't be the only option. Infact it may be better as Humans may find a planet very similar to Earth that doesn't need terraforming. How do we know this isn't how we really got here? Or even got here by aliens?

Anyway the bottom line is we do need to expand abd we do need to clean up the mess here.

:alien: ;)
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Dubya's hoping to find the Iraqi WMD....

:P
  • Simmonds does have a good point though. [sarcasm]Not spending the money on the space program, and instead throwing it at social problems on earth is the key to curing societies ills. [/sarcasm]
    My dear friends...

We will never truely be able to realize and solve our problems here on Earth while we are hip deep in the mire.

We must take an objective look at the problem from outside, and that does mean physically as well as any other association you want to attach to that statement.

Exploring and expanding our world and horizions...

We moved into the new world, then we went west as the pioneers, next will likely be Mars, The Belt, several hospitible moons of other planets, etc...

can't do that if you sit on your hands and never spread your wings and take that chance...

;)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]2) If an apocalyptic space rock ever did strike Earth, Humanity would be lost.
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    It's not IF, it's WHEN.
    It's just a guestion of time how long it will take, ten years from now... fifty... hundred... thousand... it doesn't matter, but it will eventually come. (unless we can clean solar system from this "excess debris")
    I think that much of the technology that could be used to fix the Earth would actually be developed while either building enclosed colonies on other bodies, or by attempting to terraform another planet.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    biggles: correct :)

(at least I think so..)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [url="http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Planet-Killers.html#Asteroid"]This[/url] is why.

Thanks, Simmonds, for the original link (the pictorial review of Nemesis); I spent hours browsing around that site.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]It's not IF, it's WHEN.
    It's just a guestion of time how long it will take, ten years from now... fifty... hundred... thousand... it doesn't matter, but it will eventually come. (unless we can clean solar system from this "excess debris") [/B][/QUOTE]

Which makes it truly amazing why human kind haven't started to develop a system to prevent that since the day we realized it's possible that an asteroid could hit earth and make it inhabitable.

- PJH
    The same reason we arn't living on Mars by now. The odds are not high enough to convince the selfish masses to think beyond their own lifetimes.
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]It's not IF, it's WHEN.
    It's just a guestion of time how long it will take, ten years from now... fifty... hundred... thousand... it doesn't matter, but it will eventually come. (unless we can clean solar system from this "excess debris") [/B][/QUOTE]

Where asteriods are concerned I don't think they know the best way to tackle this prob. But they should definitely be doing something instead of predicting. We're due for one in 2058 I believe. Doubtful it will hit here but it will be very close. Close enough to worry.
    Whenever it happens IF it happens, I don't think we'd be wiped out. Not the Governments anyway! They'd be locked safely underground I am sure of that. They won't give a stuff about us.
    And I think not spending the money on this is more due to ignorance than selfishness. And that is a big problem on alot of issues.

:)
  • Not just that, who knows what other forces exist in the universe that could wipe us out in the blink of an eye, how about a black hole, or . Once in history class the point about the race to the moon came up, and the profesor said he could not see the justification in spending the money when the world was and still is so full of problems. I said because if we don't someday everything we love, everything we have built through all that misery and pain will vanish, and no one will be left to speak for it, humanity itself would be nothing but a failed experiment. All he could say was "by that time we will all be gone, its too far away to matter" funny what happens if that day is tommorow?
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Yeah.

We don't really know when a big one hits Earth, so we should get ready for it just to be sure. Sure we can follow SOME of them and predict their headings, but not all. And when we notice one coming our way it's already too late to do anything with current tech.

So lets build a planetary defence grid ala B5 and some Starfuries like those maintainance Furies from B5, so we can fly up there and move the smaller ones away from us. Here's one volunteer to pilot one. :D

- PJH
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheEXone [/i]
    [B]Not just that, who knows what other forces exist in the universe that could wipe us out in the blink of an eye, how about a black hole, or...[/B][/QUOTE]
    GRBs would be good example.
    Well,actually scientist are now more optimistic and don't think anymore that it would wipe out all life in same galaxy. Now they think that only everything in route of those radiation cones/beams will vaporize up distance of thousands of light years.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [B]Close enough to worry.
    Whenever it happens IF it happens, I don't think we'd be wiped out.[/B][/QUOTE]
    It will happen, it's just matter of time.

[url]http://spaceweather.com/[/url]
    [i]On 3 Feb 2004 there were 569 known Potentially Hazardous Asteroids[/i]

[url]http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/Planet-Killers.html#Asteroid[/url]
    [i]Ballistic impact ejecta. A large asteroid impact tends to produce more melted and vapourized particulate debris than a nuclear explosion, and much of this debris is hurled upwards as a hypervelocity plume. Much of it is hurled well beyond the atmosphere and into space, whereupon it eventually falls back into the atmosphere due to gravity at speeds similar to its ejection speed (up to 5 km/s). Like any other hypervelocity atmospheric entry object, the condensed and coalesced debris particles will ablate from air friction, thus re-heating them and the atmosphere. These processes have the effect of converting the kinetic and thermal energy of ejecta into globally distributed thermal radiation and elevated upper-atmospheric temperatures, thus igniting global firestorms and altering the climate. Extremely large impacts (tens of billions of megatons) can produce so much high-energy ballistic ejecta that the entire atmosphere will be radiatively heated beyond 1500K, in which case all other damage mechanisms essentially become irrelevant because the planet is completely sterilized.[/i]
    Newest Tähdet ja Avaruus had article about chixculub impact.
    There was that impact debris falling down could heat atmoshpere so much that it would vaporize one meter layer of water from every ocean and lake and boil one more meter of it.

BTW, try this to calculate crater size for different objects.
    [url]http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/tekton/crater_c.html[/url]

For example lets use Hale-Bob as impactor so size is 50km velocity can be found from list, same density as ice and so on.
    For result you would get pretty nice hole in earth. :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheEXone [/i]
    [B]All he could say was "by that time we will all be gone, its too far away to matter" funny what happens if that day is tommorow? [/B][/QUOTE]

I hope you pointed out that that was a rather short sighted view for a history professor to have.
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    [quote]
    Industry officials said yesterday that they see a huge boon to business in Bush's "renewed spirit of discovery," which set a mission to Mars as a long-range goal after astronauts build a science base on the moon. Among the companies that could profit from the plan are Bethesda-based Lockheed Martin Corp., Boeing Co. and Halliburton Co., which Vice President Cheney headed before he joined Bush's ticket.
    [/quote]

and

[quote]
    An industry official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the oil and gas industry, including Halliburton, would benefit considerably from technology that was developed for drilling on Mars, including the tools, the miniaturization, the drilling mechanism, the robotic systems and the control systems.
    [/quote]

[URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21186-2004Jan15.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21186-2004Jan15.html[/URL]

Guess we know why the sudden interest now, hmm?
    Yeah. :(
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Of course industri is happy about this:
    Now they could develope new technologies with citizens money instead of their own money. (after that they'll keep those moneys what they can get using those new technologies developed by using others' money)
  • [QUOTE]"Is it worth it? Should we just pull back, forget the whole thing as a bad idea and take care of our own problems at home?"
    "No. We have to stay here and there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu and Einstein and Morobuto and Buddy Holly and Aristophenes .. and all of this .. all of this was for nothing unless we go to the stars."[/QUOTE]
    - Mary Ann Cramer interviews Cmdr. Sinclair in Babylon 5:"Infection"
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MartianDust [/i]
    [B]Where asteriods are concerned I don't think they know the best way to tackle this prob. But they should definitely be doing something instead of predicting. We're due for one in 2058 I believe. Doubtful it will hit here but it will be very close. Close enough to worry.
    Whenever it happens IF it happens, I don't think we'd be wiped out. Not the Governments anyway! They'd be locked safely underground I am sure of that. They won't give a stuff about us.
    And I think not spending the money on this is more due to ignorance than selfishness. And that is a big problem on alot of issues.

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

A big enough rock and its not gonna matter how far underground you are, EVERYTHING is screwed ;) rember the moon is ejected material from just such an event ;)