Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I never knew how professional the US army is.

How very professional.

[url]http://www.foggymyst.com/DontLoot.wmv[/url]

Comments

• I think it would have been fair to show the whole context of that situation, maybe show the looting taking place or something like that. I assume though that those soldiers were disiplined for that kind of behavior, and I really hope that kind of crap isin't tolerated in the future.

I would blame the leaders though, for assigning a tank group that is trained specificaly for ground combat against other tanks to stop looting in Bagdad. If we are going to conduct operations like that, we should have MPs or a new MOS trained to do peacekeeping operations.

I just joined the Army National Guard, and I plan to pursue a career as an officer in the next few years, I am proud of 99% of the work done by our troops, and I think it would be unfair to judge the whole army on the basis of one squad. For many people whatever we do is going to look bad, I remember people complaining that the troops should be tougher on the looters to save Iraq's precious art.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheEXone [/i]
    [B]...and I really hope that kind of crap isin't tolerated in the future.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Yeah, especially that shooting car with pistols.
    Why the hell you have to shoot it with pistols if your going to run over it with tank?
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Err...is any of this even real?

Honestly, there are ALWAYS going to be idiots like this in the military...and it is NOT limited to just the United States either. If this were real those soldiers most likely have been arrested and are in the process of being court-martialed. Contrary to certain beliefs, the United States military just don't go around doing stuff like this for fun.

I'm rather sick and tired of people making out our armed forces to look like some undisciplined school yard gang...and I am REALLY sick of certain people on this board trying their hardest to make it seem like that.

No, I am not saying the United States military is infallible, but I am saying that the military does NOT APPROVE of actions such as this and those responsible will be disciplined as the rules dictated in the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
  • That won't matter to people who want to bash the military because of a political grudge they have against the President and his foreign policy decisions. Its just another way to makes us all look like a bunch of bullies in the world.
  • The best thing to do here is to just let the thread die. Don't post a reply and bump it up again. There are a handful of instigators on the board who take every opportunity to rant and start flame wars. They are not interested in logical counter points – and you’re not going to change their minds – because their minds are not open.

I posted a topic not so long ago about a lawsuit settlement check I got. The next thing I knew posters were slandering Texas and vomiting up all kinds of anti free market drivel. It was totally unrelated and inappropriate. So I let the thread die.

“Just don’t look… Just don’t look…” These are the guys who sit alone on the PC on every Saturday night and hate the world for rejecting them – if you don’t give them the attention – they’ll go somewhere else. You might even be helping them in the long run…

“Just don’t look… Just don’t look…” :)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Just dont look the other way. Denying things that exist because you dont like it, is wrong.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Striker [/i]
    [B]Honestly, there are ALWAYS going to be idiots like this in the military...and it is NOT limited to just the United States either.[/B][/QUOTE]
    That applies to everywhere.
    I think best examples are schools.

BTW, What's the first rule of fanatic?
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Re: I never knew how professional the US army is.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]How very professional.

[url]http://www.foggymyst.com/DontLoot.wmv[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Didn't you learn from the last time you pulled something like this? Here's a tip: Learn to phrase your posts so that you don't lump everyone in the same category as the assholes in this video.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Actually, I think it was a very proffesional way to deal with the situation.

War zones and areas without functioning government such operate outside the routine course of what we consider "standard operating procedures", you can not have trials, judges, juries, lockups, rules of evidence.

The typical method of dealing with looters in a combat zone is shooting them, and yes this still applies and its actually considered a norm of wartime conduct.

Frankly this just shows to me the applaing lack of understanding about the coniditions necessary for a functioning legal system.

Running a society in the "polite" manner requires a damn large amount of hardwork and stability, which I hate to inform you, doesnt exist in large swaths of the world.

In the case of looters, simply denying them their vehicle and tool of trade is a form of "lenient" justice delivered on the spot when something has to be done to show that such behavior can not be condoned.
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]Yeah, especially that shooting car with pistols.
    Why the hell you have to shoot it with pistols if your going to run over it with tank? [/B][/QUOTE]

I dont know, Wast of ammo. Somthing for kicks?

If people tryed somthing like that in the canadian army some how it would be all over the CBC for a week.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I suspect that if the canadian army did the same thing in the same situation, then we would be seeing exactly the same thing as is happening now.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    You mean some Canada-hating moron would post it an no one else would care?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I suspect that if the canadian army did the same thing in the same situation, then we would be seeing exactly the same thing as is happening now. [/B][/QUOTE]

I doubt it mate. Unlike as with this instance, Firstones doesn't have a politically biast member who unquestioningly hates Canada enough to take the time to post a thread like this.

Regards,
    Morden
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well, OK assuming we had someone like that. :)
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    We have people who hate the French.
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [B]We have people who hate the French. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you ever know when not to talk? ;)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    apparently not. :D :D :D

*Ducks*
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    I'll just reply to one thing...

[QUOTE][b] I never knew how professional the US army is.[/b][/QUOTE]

And you still don't. Case closed.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [B]We have people who hate the French. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, we don't. We have people here who like to talk [i]as if[/i] they hated the French (myself sometimes one of them), but unless I'm sorely mistaken, it's a friendly rivalry kind of thing, as happens between friends who like to rag on each other. Nobody here has ever posted a serious message declaring France to be the root of all evil, not even MT. I seriously doubt anyone here genuinely hates France.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i dont hate the french.

but i wouldn't be sad if they one day just didn't exist. :D ;)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]And you still don't. Case closed. [/B][/QUOTE]

:D

Bekenn has hit it on the nose, I doubt that anyone on this forum *hates* the French.

Regards,
    Morden
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I hate the french...

...testing nukes in the Pacific because its cheaper than computer modelling of Nuke explosions...

...thats evil.

...blowing up the Rainbow Warrior was pretty unclever too.

I'm sure there are nice French people out there but as a nation... I dunno...

and the Canadian French, French Canadians... hoooeeee... talk about major sholder chippage...:)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]and the Canadian French, French Canadians... hoooeeee... talk about major sholder chippage...:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I never understood certain parts of Canada being dominated by the French, didn't Wolfe win at Quebec?

Regards,
    Morden
    Ppl hating france vs. ppl hating u.s. = Well, from my point of view both sides have said about the same things, you say you dont hate france and its just joking, though you seem to be absolutely certain that Simmonds hate U.S.

Doesnt make sense to me.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Ppl hating france vs. ppl hating u.s. = Well, from my point of view both sides have said about the same things, you say you dont hate france and its just joking, though you seem to be absolutely certain that Simmonds hate U.S.

Doesnt make sense to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, we may say the same things, but the people who "hate" France, certainly don't make it their primary pusuit and actually *mean* what they say.

Regards,
    Morden
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    the only people i really hate are the chinese for what they did to Tibet. but again i dont hate all the people, just the government. theres a chinese guy living in my halls and hes actually really quite a cool guy, i dont think i could hate him if i tried.

as for the french, well its tradition that we English hate them, but i dont 'hate' them if u see what i mean. get pissed off and exasperated by them yes, hate no.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]Yeah, we may say the same things, but the people who "hate" France, certainly don't make it their primary pusuit and actually *mean* what they say.

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE]

What I mean is : How do you know that Simmonds actually *means* what he says, you do speak the same words, to say that you are different than he when you say the same thing is pretty dumb.

There is a great phrase that fits here "Clean your own porch before you complain about your neighbors'"
    [B]What I mean is : How do you know that Simmonds actually *means* what he says, you do speak the same words, to say that you are different than he when you say the same thing is pretty dumb.

There is a great phrase that fits here "Clean your own porch before you complain about your neighbors'" [/B][/QUOTE]

He's Simmonds. 'nuff said.
    [B]What I mean is : How do you know that Simmonds actually *means* what he says, you do speak the same words, to say that you are different than he when you say the same thing is pretty dumb.

There is a great phrase that fits here "Clean your own porch before you complain about your neighbors'" [/B][/QUOTE]

The difference is, we all actually SAY that we don't mean it, we actually *have* deniability. Simmonds [b]hasn't[/b] done this. Until then, we're all perfectly entitled to take what he says seriously.

And please, don't imply that we're "dumb" because of what is a simple issue of what's said and what's meant. That's insulting, and no-one likes insults, especially me.

I also have a good phrase, although less of a maxim; "Try seeing things from OUR position."

Regards,
    Morden
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]The difference is, we all actually SAY that we don't mean it, we actually *have* deniability. Simmonds [b]hasn't[/b] done this. Until then, we're all perfectly entitled to take what he says seriously. [/B][/QUOTE]

I see you saying it in this thread, and this thread only.

Im tired of everyone pecking on Simmonds. If you wanna thrash someone, thrash me for a change.