Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

General Franklin Dead at 62

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
Paul Winfield the actor who played Dr. Franklin's Father in GROPOS has died at the age of 62.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113644,00.html[/url]

Comments

• :( What a shame. At least ten years too young.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    More "not so good" news. :(
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    indeed:( i always liked his perfomances
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    :(

I liked his performance also.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    :( His performances were great.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    He was great in Star Trek 2. He was also a guest once on Gargoyles.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    :eek: u know, i completely forgot about his part in ST2........granted i havent seen it in about 6 years, but still.....
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    I mainly remember him as the detective in Terminator.
    really got to watch that at some point:rolleyes:
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]He was also a guest once on Gargoyles. [/B][/QUOTE]

Three times to my knowlege. Played the blind man "Jeffery"

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/09/obit.winfield.ap/index.html]CNN[/url]
  • Rust. Rest in piece, mate. :(

Regards,
    Morden
  • Whoa, and I just watched GROPOS last night to boot... :eek:

I've only seen him in ST2 and GROPOS... I'm in agreement with everyone, he was a very good actor.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    :(
    sad.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    He was in Mars Attacks aswell, first person to get zapped after he welcomes the aliens to Earth.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    btw, Greg Weisman (series creator, and co-producer of Gargoyles) posted a little eulogy on his website.

[url]http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/response.html[/url]

[quote]Spalding & Paul

We lost two greats yesterday.

Actually, we lost Spalding Gray over a month ago, we just hadn't confirmed the loss until yesterday.

I was (and continue to be) a huge Spalding Gray fan. His acting was decent, fun. But his monologues were always brilliant. I remember once laughing so hard at "Gray's Anatomy" during the Indian Sweatlodge riff that I thought I was going to die of asphyxiation. Everyone should rent his seminal "Swimming to Cambodia". Everyone. Then move on to "Monster in a Box" or some of his other great filmed monologues. They're amazing. But nothing like seeing him live. He will be missed.

As will Paul Winfield, a truly amazing actor. I met him twice when he came in to perform the roll of blind novelist "Jeffrey MacClain Robbins" on GARGOYLES. It was a joy to watch Paul and Ed Asner play off each other. Winfield brought tremendous dignity and humanity to Robbins. And he helped us tell our tale of literacy without making it too preachy. I still remember fondly the following exchange when Hudson is amazed at how Robbins can find Macbeth's address in the phone book.

Hudson: Magic book.
    Robbins: Aren't they all?

Simple, but mighty.

Spalding, man... Paul... You left us too soon. [/quote]
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Xerxes Chi [/i]
    [B]Whoa, and I just watched GROPOS last night to boot... :eek:[/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, I had been making finnish subtitles for TKO-episode (in which Rabbi Koslov comes to station to talk to Ivanova about death of her father and to get her perform mourning ritual) just few days before my [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5967]grandfather[/url] sleeped away.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]:eek: u know, i completely forgot about his part in ST2........granted i havent seen it in about 6 years, but still..... [/B][/QUOTE]

See i was just the opposite, As soon as i heard he died, i thought Oh No, Capt Terrell is dead! i totally forgot that he played Gen Franklin,
    *sniff* no.....he was always....the General.....to.....me....*sobs*

joking aside, i really did see him as the General more than any other character. not to say that i didnt find his other performances believeable, just being a B5 fan i always like that role the best