Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

pOwned!!!!!!!!!

DUDE!!!!!!!

Just spent the last two days playing Unreal Tournament 2004 online round my mate's house, and it was pure pOwnage!!!

I remember this time Si basted a Raptor from the air with with a shock rifle, pOwned!!! And by God does Onslaught ROCK!!! The Goliaths are fantastic, especially if you've got someone on the minigun, and at one point, we had an entire SQUADRON of this things, and everyone was pOwning everyone else, pure machine-gunnage!!! :D

LOL! Getting the scythes out on the buggy is fantastic as well, VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER!!! Many a person got pOwned that way, and don't get me started on the LEVIATHAN!!!! :eek:

Bloody hell, those things are near unstoppable! This one time, the other team had one and were attacking our base, and I was desperately firing and reloading my AvRil, hiding in the ruins "Saving-Private Ryan" style, but then it deployed it's Ion cannon, and all of us got pOwned accordingly.

Anyway, I still haven't calmed down yet, and UT2K4 is going to be the primary basis for my getting a new Pc in time for my going to Uni in October.

Anyway, any thoughts? pOwning? :)

Regards,
Morden

Comments

• A2597A2597 Fanboy
    yea, ONS does rock. :) Every map is different.

I STRONGLY recommend finding a map called "ONS-JungleHill"

one of the best custom ONS maps I've played, with ONS-Chainsisle"

oh, and do a hunt for Vehicle Invasion...AWESOME mod!

and UT2004-RPG mutator...sweeeet.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: pOwned!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]Anyway, any thoughts? pOwning? :)[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. Learn proper english. :)
  • Re: Re: pOwned!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Yes. Learn proper english. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

It's "pwning" or "owning," not an amalgam of both. :p

Yeah, UT2K4 is pretty awesome. I haven't tried out a whole lot of custom maps yet, but from what I've played (and I won't even talk about the other game modes, because as good as they are, ONS is by far the greatest of them all), ONS-Torlan (the demo map) and ONS-ArcticStronghold are pretty fun maps.

Mayhap FirstOnes should get a server going... :p
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    hey, Assault, DM, and CLASSIC Domination (Mutator) and Vehicle Assault are all SWEET gametypes.

and I'll assume you all have downloaded ONS-Icarus (Semi official) and the ONS XP Bonus pack maps (Semi official, meaning original mappers for UT2k4, that just didn't get the map out in time).

also, MORE ONS map goodness shall soon come from the Unreal Playrground mapping contest. [url]http://www.unrealplayground.com/[/url]

check out the forums for some map screenies....look like 5-6 GOOD new ONS maps will come from this contest...maybe more. (It ends the 18th, so 5 days until judging begins...but the maps should be available on the site before that)
  • it's fun if you have enough teamplay on a server.. 4 guys healing the only goliath in the game while it blasts away everything in sight, that guy got a "wicked sick" by the end of round 1 :)

name a server and we can play, i'll try to get it running at uni next week so i can play US servers too if need be ;)
  • Re: Re: pOwned!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Yes. Learn proper english. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I like to indulge myself in l33t speak occasionally. :p

Anyway, the_exile, I'll keep to "pwned" from now on, but phonetically, we were shouting "pOwned!!!" every time we got a sweet kill. ;)

Guys, I'll tell Si to download some of the mods you mentioned, but there seems to be a lack of material on the interet for UT2K4, but I guess it'll be widespread in the next few months.

Regards,
    Morden
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiseguy [/i]
    [B]it's fun if you have enough teamplay on a server.. 4 guys healing the only goliath in the game while it blasts away everything in sight, that guy got a "wicked sick" by the end of round 1 :)

name a server and we can play, i'll try to get it running at uni next week so i can play US servers too if need be ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehe, on most ONS maps you don't need anyone healing you to get WICKED SICK in a Goliath... but yeah, the whole teamplay element of the game does rock. With voice chat, you're able to coordinate rushes and sneak attacks and such, and it's so awesome when you can get several allies to stick grenades onto your Manta. :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]With voice chat, you're able to coordinate rushes and sneak attacks and such, and it's so awesome when you can get several allies to stick grenades onto your Manta. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, two of our guys had mics and were expertly co-ordinating our attack, especially the Goliath squadron we were part of. (Typing "RAPTOR!!! TIME ON TARGET!!!" when a Raptor attacked us and all three of our mingunners responded with an unassailable wall of firepower was legendary.)

There were also some great laugh-out-loud moments as well, especially when at one point one of the mic players coughed, and the other replied; "Dude, you'll give our position away!" :D

Seriously, UT2K4 is the most fun I've had with a mouse, monitor and keyboard since I first played X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and that's saying something!

Regards,
    Morden
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    Good lord. I can't believe you guys are critiquing the spelling of [i]intentionally misspelled words[/i].

There's no "correct" way to spell any word using l33t speak.
    Absolutely. Hence, they should learn proper english. :)
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I'd just like to know the genesis of the 'p' part of pwned... I can't see the connection between it and 'owned'.... unless it just a stupid adopted typo like 'teh' the l33t speakers 'the'. If that's the case it sucks..

Sam.... english is a living language... you watch portions of l33tspeak enter a dictionary or two over the next few years...and then I'm sure you'll have to kowtow to one version of 'pwned'. Lexigraphers simply work by majorities, whichever spelling is most common gets the gong...(sometimes with additional supporting entries but not often ) I know all this 'cos I had a word in contention for acceptance... it didnt go through in the last round..:)

The word is 'terruth' [I]teh-rooth[/I], an amalgam of [I]terra[/I] (earth) and [I]ruth[/I] (friend) : meaning any entity or concept which places the value of the environment as high as possible. (I get sick of spouting 'environmentally friendly', a mouthful which embodies such a simple concept, in other words something that was dying for a new word to describe it.

All that has to happen for a word to be legitmised is usage, lexigraphists are the last great bastions of popular democracy, they only ever listen to the masses. The words used by the people end up in dictionaries, not those decreed by any organisation.

:)

you learn something new every day
    I think the p did come in as an adopted typo.
  • Guys, I only said pOwned/pwned for God's sake... :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is about killage on a titanic scale, not a discussion of language. :p

Regards,
    Morden
    No. Firstones effect. Thus, it's about discussion of language. :)
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]I'd just like to know the genesis of the 'p' part of pwned... I can't see the connection between it and 'owned'.... unless it just a stupid adopted typo like 'teh' the l33t speakers 'the'. If that's the case it sucks..

Sam.... english is a living language... you watch portions of l33tspeak enter a dictionary or two over the next few years...and then I'm sure you'll have to kowtow to one version of 'pwned'. Lexigraphers simply work by majorities, whichever spelling is most common gets the gong...(sometimes with additional supporting entries but not often ) I know all this 'cos I had a word in contention for acceptance... it didnt go through in the last round..:)

The word is 'terruth' [I]teh-rooth[/I], an amalgam of [I]terra[/I] (earth) and [I]ruth[/I] (friend) : meaning any entity or concept which places the value of the environment as high as possible. (I get sick of spouting 'environmentally friendly', a mouthful which embodies such a simple concept, in other words something that was dying for a new word to describe it.

All that has to happen for a word to be legitmised is usage, lexigraphists are the last great bastions of popular democracy, they only ever listen to the masses. The words used by the people end up in dictionaries, not those decreed by any organisation.

:)

you learn something new every day [/B][/QUOTE]

The whole idea of "l33tspeak" is that it's NOT a structured language. There are no set rules on how to spell words. If I want to spell "owned" as "pwned", or "p0wned", or "pwn3d" or whatever, none of those are wrong.

It doesn't matter what version of a l33tspeak word enters the dictionary... no one has to kowtow to anything.

[quote]No. Firstones effect. Thus, it's about discussion of language.[/quote]

A bit arrogant to name such an effect after this forum when it goes on in just about every discussion group out there, don't you think? :)
  • Rust, looks like my thread has been pwned by the language police... :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Morden
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Ok so by that rationale Sam, you're going to attack the next dictionary you buy with a big black sharpie and delete all the words you find 'offensive' or based on an organic sort of basis of not having a very strict formalised way of spelling words ??

Had you noticed that in alot of dictionaries they often list three or four differing ways of spelling the exact same word with the exact same meaning ?? Is it impossible for the l33tspeakers alternative spelling for 'the' et al, is not going to make it in just because its recent and limited mostly to a smallish subculture/demographic ?

How do you define 'structured' ? L33tspeakers use some common themes and threads in thier use and definition of thier little subcultural language, I've already cited some common usages, there are also some common conventions like trying to use as many numeric characters as possible as replacements for alphabetic ones. There IS a loose structure to l33tSpeak, much as there is a structure to English...

...the only differences are scale of use and established length of use.

The only totally structured language in existence is Latin, because it is a DEAD language. It's conventions don't change.

English being a living language means that by default it is volatile and subject to constant change. Blowing off l33tspeakers as just deliquency is foolhardy.

Put it this way, I'm sure if I snatched Shakespeare from his timeline and dumped him in modern London, I'm sure he would be totally blown away by how much the English language has changed since his day.

Perhaps l33tspeak will die out alltogether, like some passing fads and phases do... but to discredit and decide l33tspeak is just digital scrawlings is rather snobbish and elitist if you ask me...

... what [I]will [/I] you do Sam when you're 105 and some pimply kid insists on 'teh' instead of 'the' when she writes you an old fashioned arcane and anacronistic 'e-mail' ? Whack her with your walking stick ??

By the way, who made you Lexigraphist General to the UN ?
    ~~~~

Also, I feel the Firstones effect is a little too loosely defined in some minds, not only does the entire thread change topic completely overtime, but it is both a subconcious and concious derailment of every thread... no Sanfam fearing FO would ever contemplate sticking tightly to a topic. On other boards there are attempts to correct, attempts to remain on track... FO's go out of thier way to bend every thread...

[B]THATS[/B] the FO effect.

Hence I dont regard Biggles' statement as being arrogant in the slightest, just a statement of fact.
  • can you please make a new thread if you want to talk about language and the derivation of 1337 and pwnt? we are trying to have a serious discussion of ut2k4 strategies here :D
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    some nice UT2k4 screenies I took....

My UT2k4 screenies...

[url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00108.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00111.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00115.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00116.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00128.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00132.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00129.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://www.b5-blender.com/temp/Shot00098.jpg[/url]
  • going to contribute to the unreal art thread on the atari forums eh? :)

unreal related, check out this video of the unreal 3 engine, presented at the launch of the nv40:
    [URL=http://www.hanners.nildram.co.uk/unreal3_0002.wmv]save me! (12.7mb, wmv)[/URL]

:eek:
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    btw, what kinda mods and map(packs) would you guys recommend?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by samuelk [/i]
    [B]A bit arrogant to name such an effect after this forum when it goes on in just about every discussion group out there, don't you think? :) [/B][/QUOTE]

You know as well as everyone here that name is only ever been a joke. :) I'd be seriously worried if people started expecting the rest of the web to use it as well.
  • A#, I love the bottom screenie and the top one of the Goliath being pwned, although it should never have happened if someone got on the minigun. 9Which reminds me, the first thing I type when I get in a Goliath is; "Someone get on the 50 Cal!") :D

Anyway, I'd love to see someone do a Space Marine skin for UT2K4, that would just rule.

Regards,
    Morden
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I prefer shot 32. :D

makes a good wallpaper....she doesn't stand a chance. :D Even though the flak can take out the manta, the explosion....bye bye. :D