Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Interview With Ed Wasser (Mr. Morden)

PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
Worf and I took a list of questions to the London Expo and here are the replies we got from [b]Ed Wasser[/b]. Yes, we did get an interview. He's really nice and agreed right away. These are the questions he answered. I wasn't able to get everything word for word so this is a paraphrase, however parts in italics are direct quotes. Enjoy :D

[b]When you were in The Gathering, did you think that you would be called back for your minor role and were you surprised to be offered a more challenging role?[/b]
When the series got picked up after the pilot Ed was asked to play another minor role, that of a maitre'd in the resteraunt (Worf thinks it would have been in 1x03, "Born to the Purple" when Sinclair takes Talia to dinner). He turned this down [i]as politely as humanly possible and asked if there was something a little darker and more pivotal[/i]. But did not have [i]a fucking clue[/i] that he would be offered the role of Mr. Morden. As he said, he [i]got down on his knees and praised Allah[/i]. :)

[b]Do you feel that Babylon 5 has helped or hurt your career?[/b]
[i]It's ruined my life. *laugh* No, actually it's opened up great opportunities for myself and family[/i] both to [i] to travel and meet the fans[/i].

[b]How did you meet JMS? Was it during production of "The Gathering", or years earlier, when you played "Man #1" in an episode of "Murder, She Wrote"?[/b]
Apparently he didn't meet JMS on "Murder, She Wrote". Before The Gathering he asked the Babylon 5 casting director (whom he is friends with) if there was a role for him, he was told that there wasn't, but he could come in and read parts. He met JMS there.

[b]How do you pronounce Straczynski?[/b]
[i]Strazynski[/i]. (silent c)

[b]How do you feel about the fan reaction? Have you ever had any "psycho fans"?[/b]
He said he really likes meeting fans, talking to them. As for the second half, he said: [i]I think we've all had some psycho fans. I remember a few strange people, and one someone a bit more like a stalker. They followed me around and tried to find out about my family and where I lived.[/i] (That wasn't us! Really...)

[b]On the Babylon 5 set, did anyone play tricks on you?[/b]
[i]No, no tricks. I think they were too scared of me, or my shadows.[/i]

[b]Did they make a cast of your head to make the disembodied one we saw on a pike in Into the Fire, or was that made freehand?[/b]
It was a cast. He described how they covered his head with stuff and made a mold for the model then covered it with hair.

[b]Do you prefer to play "good guys" or "bad guys"?[/b]
He said that comedy good guys were fun, but good good guys were boring (not his word). [i]Playing a jerk is more fun[/i].

[b]Did you feel that Mr Morden was truly evil, or was he doing what he thought he was the best for the whole?[/b]
[i]Clearly there's not an evil bone in his body. *smile*[/i] He went on to say how Morden's character was all due to JMS's excellent writing. He had great admiration for JMS's creativity, and claimed that all he had to do was be on time and know his lines, the rest was in the writing.

[b]Have you heard about the new Babylon 5 project in the works and are you likely to be involved?[/b]
He had heard of it, but didn't indicate that he knew much more than that. As for his involvement: [i]Yeah, sure of course, why wouldn't I [be involved in it] *smile*[/i] He went on to talk about how Mr. Morden was the one character who was always pivotal. Any scene or episode he was in, was part of the story arc. And how [i]it would be cool to see Morden incorperated into the [b]movies[/b][/i] Yes, he said movie[b]s[/b]!!! Let the speculation continue :) His hope was that they'd tell the story of the Icarus, though he was aware that there is a book about it already.

[b]Do you have any pointers for aspiring actors and actresses?[/b]
[i]Yeah, don't do it. *smile*[/i] More seriously, he spoke of the importance of staying [i]as authentic as you know how to be. Don't live life with blinders on, live as much as possible. Grow, do other things. Don't become self-absorbed like some do. Acting is not the end all, make your life part of your work.[/i]

[b]And one more question. Green or Purple?[/b]
[i]*pause* Purple, of course. *classic Mr. Morden smile*[/i]

:D

-Φ and Worf

EDIT: A few bits added that we remembered later.

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Re: Interview With Ed Wasser (Mr. Morden)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]And one more question. Green or Purple?
    [i]*pause* Purple, of course. *classic Mr. Morden smile*[/i][/B][/QUOTE]

He was wearing a green shirt though :D

Worf
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Front page! Front Page! DAMN IT POST IT ON THE NEWS PAGE BEFORE I SING THE AARDVARK SONG!
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    [COLOR=purple][SIZE=4]PURPLE!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
  • Language of HopeLanguage of Hope Elite Ranger
    Well done... and thank you for meeting him for us. :)

There was planned a science fiction convention by a fellow local B5 fan in Germany nearly 2 years ago. Ed Wasser was already booked but unfortunately the plan wasn't working out due to financial problems (not Mr Wasser but the whole convention). It would have been great to meet him ... I guess ;)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Nicely done! And, of course he chose purple... Hes evil you know... ;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Re: PURPLE

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]

[b]Have you heard about the new Babylon 5 project in the works and are you likely to be involved?[/b]
    He had heard of it, but didn't indicate that he knew much more than that. As for his involvement: [i]Yeah, sure of course, why wouldn't I [be involved in it] *smile*[/i] He went on to talk about how Mr. Morden was the one character who was always pivotal. Any scene or episode he was in, was part of the story arc. And how [i]it would be cool to see Morden incorperated into the [b]movies[/b][/i] Yes, he said movie[b]s[/b]!!! Let the speculation continue :) His hope was that they'd tell the story of the Icarus, though he was aware that there is a book about it already.
    [/QUOTE]

Hmmm.... *drools* :eek:

Though...he could be refering to the TV movies.

[QUOTE]
    [b]And one more question. Green or Purple?[/b]
    [i]*pause* Purple, of course. *classic Mr. Morden smile*[/i]
    [/QUOTE]

YES! PURPLE!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: Re: PURPLE

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]Hmmm.... *drools* :eek:

Though...he could be refering to the TV movies.[/b][/quote]

They have been made already, so he couldn't be hoping to be in them.

[quote][b]YES! PURPLE! [/B][/QUOTE]

Just further proof that purple is evil and must be eradicated from the universe.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    You interviewed him.....[b]AND YOU DIDN'T INVITE HIM HERE?![/b] What's wrong with you?!

;)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Thanks for the notes, Worf and Phi (worfphi, worfy? :D). How long did you get to talk with him?
  • Mr.GaribaldiMr.Garibaldi Earthforce Officer
    THANK YOU PHI and WORF!

Thats cool that he loves to be open and friendly with fans, I hope maybe he is curious and visits this site... and he can see how much we appriciate him and his contributions to the show.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    cool...
    soon time for the announcement I hope...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Worf and Phi thanks for doing the interview for us, very cool! :) And you asked one of my questions! Woot! :D

Good interview, liked the comments he made, esp the one about nobody playing tricks on him, classic! Now about those "films"... hmmm
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Thanks Worf and Phi!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Cool! :D
    Thanks Worphi!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Pictures!!

[URL=http://pinups.firstones.com/userpics/Phi_Morden_Worf]Phi, Mr Morden and Worf[/URL] <-- GREEN shirt!

[URL=http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~angelus/Worf_C3P0_Phi.jpg]Worf, C3P0 and Phi[/URL]

[URL=http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~angelus/gaglaxy.jpg]A Local Laundrette[/URL]

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B][URL=http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~angelus/gaglaxy.jpg]A Local Laundrette[/URL][/B][/QUOTE]

I am seriously shocked.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [B]Pictures!!

[URL=http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~angelus/gaglaxy.jpg]A Local Laundrette[/URL]

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL! We have to work that picture into this site some how, perhaps as a new smiley for all the spelling error threads? :D
  • MartianDustMartianDust Elite Ranger
    Ha Brilliant! Thanks Worf and Phi! Wow thought my quests were pretty crap compared to everyone elses so thanks for chosing one of mine. :)

He's gonna have to ditch that green t-shirt though!! Still I daresay its probably a cover! ;)

That laundrette pics funny. You didn't take your jeans off in there did you like that ol ad?! If you remember. heh soz just made me think of that, thats all. ;)
  • *smacks Phi with the Technomage Trilogy*

Thanks. :)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [B][URL=http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~angelus/gaglaxy.jpg]A Local Laundrette[/URL]

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

OMG!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]*smacks Phi with the Technomage Trilogy*

Thanks. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

*randomly smacks exile with several big heavy geology and oceanography textbooks*

whose covers are purple incidently:D