Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Morden's Retail Rant

A thread I created on the UK Airsoft Network forums, thought you guys might enjoy reading it. (Especially those who have worked in retail!)

[url]http://forums.ukairsoft.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56894&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url]

Regards,
Morden

Comments

• EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Re: Morden's Retail Rant

What do you have against Mr. Zidane? He has a considerable sum of unpaid taxes? Yay publicans! ;)
  • Re: Re: Morden's Retail Rant

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eclecticonaut [/i]
    [B]What do you have against Mr. Zidane? He has a considerable sum of unpaid taxes? Yay publicans! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Um, those two goals against England last Sunday might have something to do with it... ;)

Regards,
    Morden
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Re: Re: Re: Morden's Retail Rant

I thought the first one of them was a pretty neat goal... well, how much should he pay for these two "critical errors"? Maybe a donation of 10000 euros to the World Food Programme? :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Sounds similar to my experiences of retail work. :D
  • That's the thing, I love my job, only it's ALWAYS the idiots you remember! :D

Regards,
    Morden
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]That's the thing, I love my job, only it's ALWAYS the idiots you remember! :D[/B][/QUOTE]
    "There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots."

That's what I told myself when I was [url=http://avaruus2003.ursa.fi/en/index_en.html]here[/url] as [url=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~tuunaes/Space2003/guides.jpg]guide[/url] and people constantly asked questions like these about free posters:
    Are these free? (when there wasn't any tag about price or selling of them)
    Do you have different posters? (different pictures on different sides)

So it was really like "Did they lose half of IQ points when they stepped inside of door?"
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    This is why I want a job with very very little contact with the public.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Morden,

I completely understand. When I was a product manager for a power tool company I used to answer a number of customer service calls (my main responsibility was product development). Here's what I've found:

1) In power tools you can't update your product. According to some customers, that’s admitting that your old version was inferior and they should receive compensation because they bought the old one and now the new old is better...

2) Engineers and Machinists can be the worst people to deal with when it comes to tools. Mind you we made woodworking tools (the key word being [b]wood[/b] which is a relatively in-precise medium to work with), but I always seemed to get those who complained when their piece of oak they cut was not precise down to five - 10,000th of an inch.

3) If you have a typo in the manual, you will receive 30+ calls because there are two “a” next to each other on paragraph 4 of page 112…

4) “My scroll saw should cut just like my neighbor’s.” Oh sure, you paid $99 dollars for yours and he paid over $1000, yeah it will work exactly the same…

5) If you provide a method for doing something in the manual, someone will always call and argue that their way is superior, even to the point of being belligerent…

6) An [b]electric[/b]-powered wet/dry vacuum should never be used to suck gasoline out of a fuel tank, no matter how ideally suited to the task it may seem…

7) Every idea that any inventor comes up with is needed by everyone, has a practical use in every application and will provide millions of sales for our company, which is great because we’ve never sold a million of anything before!

Jake
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Makes you wonder what the guy who said "the customer is always right" was on at the time, doesn't it?;)

Then again, there are just as many dimwits working in retail/customer service:rolleyes: ; there just ain't no justice, as the saying goes.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by An ex-Squid [/i]
    [B]Makes you wonder what the guy who said "the customer is always right" was on at the time, doesn't it?;) [/B][/QUOTE]

He was probably a consultant, which means he was on a lot of money.
  • My parents are trying to make me get a job as a cashier/bagboy... I don't think I could stand being around normal Human beings for hours at a time, every single day.
    That's where imagination comes into it. I used to spend my time dreaming, or thinking about program design.
  • I do that all the time, even when I am doing those (or similar) things. :p

I'll probably end up doing yardwork, a much more agreeable task.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]6) An [b]electric[/b]-powered wet/dry vacuum should never be used to suck gasoline out of a fuel tank, no matter how ideally suited to the task it may seem… [/B][/QUOTE]

O.O

Mate, that's a Darwin Award nomination if I ever heard of one!

Yeah, cheers for the empathy, customer dissatisfaction, and conversely dissatisfaction *with* customers is universal. ;)

Regards,
    Morden
  • Ok, I've got one that was just funny. I work for a Hyundai Dealer. For those who don't know Hyundai is a Korean car manufacture. Now, I don't like to give out names, but it's vital to this story. My dealership is called "Go Hyundai" and it is owned by a company called Zamora Automotive. I, one day, had a customer call and ask for "Mr. Gohyundai" No joke, no computer. Live person on the phone. I ask him "Mr. Go Huyndai?" To which he replies with "Yea, you know, the owner". Took all the will power I had to transfer to the bosses office without laughing my ass off.