Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Apples new 30 inch monitor

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
yummy.

[url]http://www.apple.com[/url]

Comments

• A2597A2597 Fanboy
    two words:
    ME WANT.

now, where DID I leave that 50,000 laying around.....

oh yea, I don't have have that.

Bad side:

It REQUIRES A NVIDIA CARD.

screw you mac....
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It requires an NVIDIA card because it needs two DVI ports, apparently.

[url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6628[/url]
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I'm waiting with bated breath for the demo models to come out so I can gawk at them in the local Apple store. I'd never buy one, of course. I mean, it's a $3000 monitor, which would require me to buy a $2000 computer and a $600 graphics card to make it work. That's just a little insane.

Of course, If they halved the price of the 20 inch monitor, I'd jump on that like a horny dog on the last leg on earth. Metaphorically speaking. ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    $3000? Nah. More like $3300.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    heh... dang... they just can't stop making drooly stuff... gawd.. talk about real estate... mind you, trying to run two of them at once would have to be a pain in the arse. How on Earth do you hook up two monitors for a total of 4 input plugs ?
    Dual dual video cards ? Is that possible ?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    hm, well if i remember correctly, the new quadro's (the higher end ones, that also support SLI) can use up to 4 displays...
    but then again, it could be just my brain reacting to too much orange juice...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]heh... dang... they just can't stop making drooly stuff... gawd.. talk about real estate... mind you, trying to run two of them at once would have to be a pain in the arse. How on Earth do you hook up two monitors for a total of 4 input plugs ?
    Dual dual video cards ? Is that possible ? [/B][/QUOTE]

The new fancy video card that you need to use has two of the duel-port connectors. Also, from my view of the keynote, Steve seemed to imply that the one duel port was (somehow) different from two normal ports, so presumably you could [i]not[/i] use the card to plug in four monitors at once. But, I could be horribly wrong, and you can use four monitors at the same time with the new card. I wouldn't bet my first born on it, though.
    From what I gather, it's just a standard dual head video card.
    Well, you tell me.

[url]http://stream.apple.akadns.net/[/url]

Steve talks about the duel-duel-link at 19 minutes, 40 seconds, if you want to cut right to the chase.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [quote]duel-duel-link[/quote]

*imagines a Bemani swordfighting game featuring Link and Gannon*
    The way I understand it (and this is also based on knowledge about another monitor that works in the same way), the display works like having dual monitors under windows does. You have a single desktop spread across two displays, and so two frame buffers. However, in this case the two displays are placed right next to each other on the same monitor. So effectively you have dual display from a dual head card, it's just being put on one monitor. I could be wrong though. :)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    well thats a really crappy way to do it.
    Lets just ignore the gamers, since most games don't DO dual monitor
    Until they produce cards with bigger framebuffers, that is the only way to do it.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]well thats a really crappy way to do it.
    Lets just ignore the gamers, since most games don't DO dual monitor [/B][/QUOTE]

If you'll watch the keynote demonstration I ever-so-helpfully linked to, you can see [i]why[/i] they did it that way. Because, it was the only way, unless you only want to see half the screen at one time. Unless, of course, you can think of some other, practical alternative. I'm sure the boys at Apple would love to hear it.
    A2597 is just bitter because it currently only works on an NVIDIA card, and as everyone knows NVIDIA are the [i]devil[/i].
    Really? I've been out of the loop. I've been considering upgrading to a new graphics card, and I'm not exactly sure what to look for. I have an NVIDIA card now (a GeForce2 MX, for the morbidly curious), and I'm wondering what to replace it with, as my current card....

Well, it, um....

It displays images in rapid succession upon my screen, but not as fast as on some other computers I've seen. As I am but a simple prosumer, I would appreciate any help in choosing a new card, hopefully avoiding the Prince of Darkness, if possible.
    Well, A2597 tells me that ATi are video goodness and care for consumers in its purest and most untainted form. NVIDIA, on the other hand, are evil people out to suck all the happiness and joy out of the world who wouldn't know the first thing about video card design and who cheat at benchmarks, something that ATi would never stoop to, no never.

In other words, go read reviews at places like ars technica and hardocp and make up your own mind from the average opinions across many different (professional) sites rather than listening to the fanatics. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]well thats a really crappy way to do it.
    Lets just ignore the gamers, since most games don't DO dual monitor [/B][/QUOTE]??? My entire group of geek friends does dual. :p
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I must say that my next 3d-card will be a Nvidia unless ATI get's their drivers good enough. It's just that I've heard so many people having problem with their ATI cards in games, and I've never had a single glitch with my GF4 ti-4400.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by C_Mon [/i]
    [B]I must say that my next 3d-card will be a Nvidia unless ATI get's their drivers good enough. It's just that I've heard so many people having problem with their ATI cards in games, and I've never had a single glitch with my GF4 ti-4400. [/B][/QUOTE] Maybe that's because physics work differently up in the North Pole. :p Quite the opposite over here in Geekland.