Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

minor TMoS news

Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
colonyearth posted this on b5tv.com forum:
---
Yesterday my inside source told me that last Friday, WB and JMS approached ILM for bids on the SFX for TMoS. Reportedly, they have also asked WETA to bid.

Given that they are now trying to lock in an FX company, then we should hear an announcement soon. If they are, indeed, this far into pre-production. This should also mean that at least any portion of the shooting script that includes FX should be done.
---

Comments

• PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Go WETA! :D

• The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    daddy whats WETA?
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]daddy whats WETA? [/B][/QUOTE]

WETA is Peter Jackson's FX studio.

They -- obviously -- did the FX for the Lord of the Rings films.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If weta does it, that would rock. :) They're rather busy at the moment with the new King Kong movie and the evangelion live action movie ([b]ug[/b]) some time in the future as well though, so they might not.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I think it would be good to see WETA doing the fx too ;)

JMS has also said that Dr Franklin won't be recast.

Worf
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]JMS has also said that Dr Franklin won't be recast.[/B][/QUOTE]

When I first read this I had one of those DUH! moments... :D

But then I realized what that actually meant...

As for WETA, well, maybe I should start hitting up some contacts in NZ... :)

I might come and crash at your place Biggles... :p
    Sure. We have a spare room somewhere. The commute might be a bit long though. :D
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]daddy whats WETA? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Fear the [URL=http://awcmee.massey.ac.nz/nzinsects/auck-weta.jpg]WETA[/URL] :shadow1:

They tend to be quite big, too.
  • Is that some kind of grasspideroach?
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta[/url]
    Wow, we have bugs over here in the USA called Jerusalem Crickets that look like those...

:)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    with Weta, they might be able to (though i'm not sure if they would) make a CG Dr. Franklin.
    There's arguments for both doing it and not doing it.
    If Richard Biggs was looking forward to doing the movie, they could say that this way he kinda got his wish.
    The other side should be pretty self-explanatory.

(ILM.... i'd be majorly interested in seeing what they'd do with B5... boy, would that kick any of the last (after FC) Trek-movies effect-wise)

It'd be also quite cool (imho) if they'd do a bit of work on the ship-designs etc, as now the technology is far more advanced, and it's now for the big screen (kinda like the refittet enterprise for TMP (which for me is still one of the most beautiful ST-designs ever) )
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I hope the SFX are still going to have the "kicks" they had on B5. It's no so much the quality, it's the way the SFX scene plays out. The camera angles, the color - Old, and shabby - but still breathtakingly exciting. As for WETA, does JMS plan to use CGI creatures then? I'd of thought ILM would be better suited for space scenes.
    Well, just because WETA hasn't done any Spaceships in their latest movies doesn't mean that they can't do them ;)
    In dact they might be able to perform "better" than an experienced effectshouse, as they are used to have to make their CGI stand side by side with real footage.

Though it's quite normal nowadays to have more than one effectshouse to work on a movie, so it might be quite possible that WETA would do creature effects and ILM do the Space ships...

i just had an exciting thought (at least for me): ILM still uses physical modells for some shots...
    now think about a 3m filming modell of an Omega or Hyperion :D :D
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imhotep [/i]
    [B]Depending on when TMoS effects would need to started ILM may be a little busy. Seeing as they have to finish SW: EP 3 by May 05 and from what I have read in interviews with them they are working 24/7 until then to complete all the needed shots. Just a thought... [/B][/QUOTE]
    SW3 isn't their only project. For example they are doing Sky Captain.
    Well if both are busy (with King Kong and SW3 respectively, among other things) then I think we can assume JMS is doing the smart thing and getting the bids lined up early. Meaning we might have a bit of a wait for TMoS...

• I know this will probably sound silly, but, whats wrong with the people who did the effects for the show? Do they not exsist anymore?. I'm sure with a film budget and time they could pump out some realy spectacular shots, plus they are already familiar with the B5 ship and the ways they move and such. and even if it was subpar, it would match the show even better, which actually be better than some ultra realistic look.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The two houses that did Babylon 5 and Crusade no longer exist (sadly). I really liked the jump effect from crusade, that was uber.
    Ah Croxis, you beat me to it! :D :p

;)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Goo Goo Ga Choo!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I'd like to see Weta get this. Considering what they achieved for LOTR it would be a good challenge for them to try out sci fi. Even if they don't though ILM will still be great for the job.

Now if we could get JackN a job with either of em then we surely would have a "man on the inside" ;)
    Ok so the dream line up for me is:

Director: Mike Vejar
    CGI Effects: WETA
    Soundtrack: Chris Franke

:cool: :cool:
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Director: Mike Vejar
    CGI Effects: WETA
    Soundtrack: Chris Franke
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd say:
    3: 95% probability
    2: 55% (both jms and WETA wanted to work together, so i'd say it's a bit higher than ILM)
    1: 75% (though this really depends on wether they can use a "TV"-director for the movie.... (though they should be able to.. joss whedon is directing the firefly movie too..))
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    Director: Mike Vejar
    [/QUOTE]
    I agree with RubberEagle, i would rather use 'feature director'. Biggest concern is that Vejar hasn't done 2:35:1 stuff before.
    Josh Whedon is a good director, any of the eps he did for Buffy/Angel and Firefly were good.

Since Vejar has only done tv movies/series, this would be ideal for his break onto the big screen.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sigma13 [/i]
    [B]I agree with RubberEagle, i would rather use 'feature director'. Biggest concern is that Vejar hasn't done 2:35:1 stuff before. [/B][/QUOTE]
    nononononooooo.. you misunderstood me. I'm for Vejar, as he directed the most memorable B5 episodes. A feature director could make problems, as in features, the director has more control over the movies as in TV, so picking the wrong director could result in ongoing battles between him and jms...

(and re: joss whedon: i totally agree;))
  • AAAAaaaaaaaargh no no no Not Joss whedon. That's like hiring Paul Anderson to do EPIII. Gaaaaa...

Mike Vejar is a good choice but I would personally like to see someone else give it a go, someone who hasn't touched that universe before. Like Irvin Kershner for ESB. Chris Cunningham would be awesome but maybe to extreme. Would be great with someone with a new approach to things.. Nudge the whole quality of the show up a few levels.
    eh...... no one said anything about joss whedon directing tmos..
    I only brought him into it as someone who directed episodic TV and now directs a movie...
  • Uh, this may sound crazy, but how about Jonathan Franks? directed the second best trek film? Eh?

Actually, can anyone name some of the episodes that vejar did? I haven't followed who directed which episodes.