Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

They Should'nt be wasting there time

[url]http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1093903811720[/url]

[quote]Weapons haul on display
Martial arts stock seized at fair booth
Four in court on banned-sale charges

BETSY POWELL
CRIME REPORTER

Four members of an American family remain in custody on numerous charges after Toronto police seized an array of weapons ranging from brass knuckles to nunchakus from a booth set up at a comic book expo and fantasy fair last Friday.

It was operated by the American website SwordStaff.com, which sells custom swords and daggers online but does not ship to Canada.

It was the fifth year the company came to Toronto to peddle its martial arts-themed merchandise but the first time police moved to shut it down. They did so following a phoned-in tip by auxiliary officer Sean Shapiro, who was walking past the booth when the "push daggers caught my eye," he told a news conference at police headquarters yesterday.

Sean Martinez, 29, and Ling Martinez, 33, both of Missouri, Jarrod Martinez, 26, of Arizona and Abraham Martinez, 29, of New Mexico made brief court appearances yesterday at College Park and requested their bail hearing be put over until this morning. They are charged with numerous offences, including possession of prohibited weapons and trafficking in prohibited weapons. They were represented by duty counsel and had not yet retained a lawyer.

Also charged are two Toronto residents hired to work at a booth, Andre Mansour, 30, and Alexander Petkovski, 28. They were released on a promise to appear.

Police displayed some of the haul — including metal throwing stars, wooden nunchakus, push daggers and brass knuckles — and cash seized at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where the booth had been jammed with buyers. Some $5,000 in weaponry had already been sold in the few hours before police swooped in, Inspector Rick Stubbings said.

"Each one of these weapons is extremely devastating and (has) no legitimate purpose," said Stubbings, who stopped periodically during the news conference to hold up some of the sharp, pointy objects.

`Each one of these weapons is extremely devastating and (has) no legitimate purpose.'

Inspector Rick Stubbings

Police continue to investigate how the cache came into the country.

The SwordStaff.com website has the disclaimer: "Although all of our handmade weapons are suitable to use in combat, we in no way promote their use in this fashion." It recommends they be used for "decorative" purposes only.

Stubbings asked any purchasers to return the items to police, adding he was concerned that young people "going back to school" might be in possession of them.

Joon Chung of CKT Sports, a martial arts supply store on Yonge St., south of Wellesley St., said of the kinds of weapons seized: "A lot of kids are asking for them all the time." He tells them he can't sell them because they are illegal. He estimates he gets requests for brass knuckles 10 times a day. He believes their appeal for would-be buyers is that they make them "feel tough."

Up the street at Warriors Martial Arts Supply, part-time manager James Lee believes the continuing popularity of such weapons is a holdover from the '80s "ninja craze."

He fields many requests for illegal items, "mostly to kids up to 30, guys who look a little sketchy." Some want to look cool, but most, he feels, are people looking to "intimidate on the street." He will reluctantly direct them to the United States "just to get them out of the store." The laws on such equipment vary from state to state.

But Lee also thinks there is a lot of confusion about what is, and is not, considered a prohibited weapon and wonders why, for instance, one implement is illegal when another can do the same damage. Along with foam nunchakus and rubber throwing stars, and alongside a wide assortment of books, uniforms and equipment, the store stocks many expensive knives and swords, all legal.

Additional articles by Betsy Powell[/quote]

I think this is reather stupid, These weapons are not ment to be used, they are used for declearations, And the chances of somone using these is very unliky.... The sell Stuff simlar to this at a few stores in my city... All tho the Blades are dulled, heh. they even had a Bat'Leth on one Comic store.....

EDIT: It would take a very very stupid person to carry these weapons out in public.....

Comments

• Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I take it you've never watched Highlander. ;)
  • Those weapons are insanely deadly in the right hands. (A gun being the ultamate equalizer)

Myself, I've always wanted to learn the sword. (Yes, like Highlander, or Princess Bride...)

Someday I will.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]I take it you've never watched Highlander. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I have..