Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Rant time

OKey I was just thinking about Space Traval.. I have noticed now, In this day and age when somthing Fails everone just gives up on it. Like when the first space shuttle blew up and killed everone, That almost shut down manned space flight in the US. This like pisses me off big time... Back in the early days of airslight planes crashed all the time and people got killed, yet people still went on and made better air planes. In this day and age, when somthing fails on us.. We are like... "Lets not try to fix the problem, Lets just forget it and not try anyone"... FUCK!! If people were like that in the past we would be still in the fucking Darkages.... NASA noone seems to care about NASA these days. Everone seems to care more about there military and Bombing the shit out of countrys that cant defend its self, FUCK!!1!!11!1111!!one!!!!

Comments

• FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Simmonds,

One counter-point to your question. In the early days, building a plane cost little more that building a small barn and actually required many of the same skills. Anyone with a little bit of extra gumption and cash could hobble together an aircraft and fly it to his death; the government could have cared less.

In comparison, space travel is one of the most technologically challenging activities humanity can undertake and therefore the burden of space travel falls on organizations that have the size and funding of a federal government. That same investment of time, money, sweat and humanity requires that any failures be thoroughly reviewed, investigated and avoided.

Jake
  • The_exile is made to understand that By some estimations, we bcould've been on Mars back in the 70's (using nuclear pulse propulsion) if political pressure hadn't prevented NASA from going in that direction.
  • Well, since no one cares about NASA, I guess we can always count on the Canadian Space Program instead.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]Well, since no one cares about NASA, I guess we can always count on the Canadian Space Program instead. [/B][/QUOTE] .

What Canadian Space Program?
  • *Feels the same shock he felt when he learned Canada had a warship*

And yet another reason to vote Bush....he's at least trying to get NASA off it's rump....Kerry said he thinks space travel is all but a waste of time.

(Hehehe.....how's that for changing the topic! :) )
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The problem with comparing space travel and flying is, as Freejack said, the enourmess technical difference. Space travel is, to put it blunty, just about fucking impossible. It takes a shitload of things to go perfectly in perfect order for a space mission to succeed, and that's just a simple orbital mission. Getting to another heavenly body, even just the Moon, is even more difficult. Naturally, modern techinology is making things easier, but it's still hard.
    The other problem is that because of this requirement for high tech, only governments have so far been able to provide the resources to achieve it. Governments are accountable to their people for what they spend taxes on, and people are ultimately short-sighted about what they want taxes to be spent on. When people see their taxes being spent on space flights which result in 17 deaths with no obvious gains (there are thousands, if not millions, of gains from space travel but most people don't think about where velcro came from), they tend to make noises about not wasting money on killing people "futily" and spend it on health care or schools instead.
    Also, politicians are typically to much more interested in being re-elected (or elected in place of the current administration) to be willing to start or continue long term projects like full-blown space missions unless there is another good political reason for it (like, say, communists). In other words, the US must get there first, before those damn communist chinese do! Hate to break it to you, A#, but that's all Bush really cares about with regards to space travel, and ultimately it means there will not be a proper space program from him, just noises.
  • Bush just wants to put weapons in space, thats about it.

I think more then 17 people have died... Russia lost alot of people too.

and its true, they would say anything to get people to vote for them. Most politicians are just a pile of liers not matter what party they are in.

[quote]*Feels the same shock he felt when he learned Canada had a warship*p[/quote]

heres another shock, we have 34.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B](there are thousands, if not millions, of gains from space travel but most people don't think about where velcro came from)[/B][/QUOTE]

Probably because it has nothing to do with space travel. Velcro was invented years before Sputnik, even, and was modeled on those annoying little burrs that stick to your pant leg or sock.

Now, teflon nonstick coating, there's something that came about from the space program.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    also a crap load of medical tech has come from the space program.
  • Also, Neil Armstrong's walk on the moon, possibly the single most triumphant moment in Human history.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B].

What Canadian Space Program? [/B][/QUOTE]

That's exactly why you should shut up about how other countries spend their money on space travel.
  • the_exile finds MT's avatar highly appropriate at the moment.
    [B]That's exactly why you should shut up about how other countries spend their money on space travel. [/B][/QUOTE]

You guys dont mind telling us we should spend alot more on defence spending.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]the_exile finds MT's avatar highly appropriate at the moment. [/B][/QUOTE]

That movie (Office Space)... Is a Classic as far as I am concerned... :D

"I'm not going to work today..."

"What? Your quitting?"

"Nope"

"You're gonna call in sick?"

"No, I just don't feel like going today..."

"In fact, I don't think I'm gonna in tomorrow either..."

heh heh heh...

That movie has our captain from Crusade in it by the way... ;)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]You guys dont mind telling us we should spend alot more on defence spending. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's because we're tired of carrying you, and/or the possibility of having to carry you. And by "you," I don't mean you specifically; I mean everyone else that won't ditch Canada.

Besides, we have a well funded space program and you pretty much have nothing. That was the basis if my argument on why you should shut up. That line of reasoning validates American criticism about Canada's defense spending within that context, considering we have a well funded military. It's like Canada being able to criticize the United States on our lack of funding towards dog sleds, and the US not being able to criticize Canada on universal health care funding.

You should really think before you type, Simmonds. Or is that why you hate America so much -- because you don't think.
    [B]

You should really think before you type, Simmonds. Or is that why you hate America so much -- because you don't think. [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate America becuases I was actly able to think and see what America was doing to the world. When I was Younger I loved the USA...
    Didn't you post some pictures not so long ago that you claimed to have drawn when you were 7 depicting much hatred towards the USA?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Didn't you post some pictures not so long ago that you claimed to have drawn when you were 7 depicting much hatred towards the USA? [/B][/QUOTE]

One was of the Fake Moon landing, and the Other was me taking over the world....

Had nothing to do with me hating the US
    Strange, they featured the US in a prominant position of doing bad things or being blown up.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Strange, they featured the US in a prominant position of doing bad things or being blown up. [/B][/QUOTE]

YEah and the earth was being blow up. and there were NAZI's damn it!!