Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

CD buring tips.

I'm wondering if anyone can help with this. It seems that anytime I try and create an Audio CD it never works right. Anything from the Final Fantasy7 soundtrak to the ITF track to a mix CD to play in the car, everything either fails, skips, or has weird distorted chirping noises when I play it.

I'm using 52x compatible CDs on a 24x burner, but i've lowered my write speed down to 16x. I'm not touching the computer when I'm doing it and I've even disabled my screen saver. Can anyone give my any advise on how to write a clean CD?

Comments

• hmm....

does it play well on a different CD Player?
  • No, both CD players I have, Home Stereo DVD/CD player and car stereo the cds have the same problems.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    As painfull as it may seem, I recommend lowering the burning speed even further.

Try 8x, 4x, and then finally 1x.

Audio CD's run a 1x when playing. With highspeed burning the CD unit you created it in should be able to play and read them, but a standard issue low tolerance audio CD drive may have trouble keeping on track and stuff...

;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Does it play back fine on the burner? If so...could be it has some sort of alignment problem.

Can you read your data CDs on other computers?
  • AlexAlex Earthforce Officer
    Try using a different brand of CD-R's.
    Some (especially the verry cheap ones) are of low quality, and can cause problems while reading. Sometines the laser can't read a section correctely.

With data-discs that doesn't matter since the CD-rom will simply go back and read the section again. You won't even notice that it happened, but on an audio disc the music will skip every time that happens.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Try using CD-Rs rated for a much lower speed than 52x.
  • I recommend a bit of gasoline.
  • What?
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    4x is the best for me when I'm Burning Music, That I have not Downloaded Illegaly;)
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    The problem is the spacing of the bits on the CD. The faster you burn, the tighter they will be. Newer set-top players have a better time reading CDs burned at high speeds, but older ones have a hard time or outright refuse to.

For instance, I burned a copy of the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack (LEGALLY, I have a store-bought copy.) and it plays fine on my DVD player, in my stereo, but refuses to play past the first couple of tracks in my mother's stereo.

I'd burn it at about 4 - 8x maximum. You could also try looking for some old 650MB CDs. Some players have trouble reading the 700MB kind.
    The spacing changes at different burn speeds? I don't think that's right. That would imply that burning faster would allow you to fit more data on the disc. What changes at different burn speeds is the intensity of the change in the dye in the disc, which is why writers that can burn faster and discs that can be burnt faster rely on faster-changing dye. When you put a disc burnt fast into a stereo (for example) it often won't be able to read it because the dye change isn't enough for its laser to handle.
  • Well, my players only like 3 months old so I don't think thats the problem. I'll try again at a lower speed and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Not sure if this is a right program for the right job but: Google for Exact Audio Copy.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]The spacing changes at different burn speeds? I don't think that's right. That would imply that burning faster would allow you to fit more data on the disc. What changes at different burn speeds is the intensity of the change in the dye in the disc, which is why writers that can burn faster and discs that can be burnt faster rely on faster-changing dye. When you put a disc burnt fast into a stereo (for example) it often won't be able to read it because the dye change isn't enough for its laser to handle. [/B][/QUOTE]

...and burning the music at slower speeds does help in this situation.
    Yes, because it gives the laser more time on the dye, and so the dye can change more and provide a bigger contrast between changed and unchanged parts.
  • Well, I tried burning at 4x and got the same result. In fact, it was kind of odd. One, 4x was the lowest setting I could choose, and when it is burning it shows me Selected Write Speed (4x) and Actual Right speed which would constantly hover anywhere between 6x and 13x with occasional spikes up to 16 and drops to 3. Anything except what i set it for. I'm running out of ideas, asside from shutting down everything in my task tray, even my ati and logitech stuff.

Edit: originally I said i selected 5x
  • My vote is for checking error correction on the burner.
    Have you tried them in someone else's stereo, or even better a cd walkman that specifies it supports CD-R's (as mine does)?
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    do you burn from a CD image ?

your burning software is ?

whats your Harddrive spindle speed ?

In fact, may I suggest you list all your hardware, perhaps thier is a glithc that will show when you do.

remember also that a simple ordinary CD burner is ludicrously cheap... if you have a spare bay... it may be worth it to get a second burner. Having two optical drives is great in my machine, I 'tag team' install software from multipile discs etc... its all good
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]do you burn from a CD image ?

your burning software is ?

whats your Harddrive spindle speed ?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Um, lets see

no, I'm attempting at the moment to burn the ITF track to CD

Easy CD Creator (came with burner)

7200 RPMs.

This is actually my fiance's computer because my burner doesn't even finish a cd let alone one with errors.

ok,
    Dragon MoBo P4 lite
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 512 cache
    samsung DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
    512 megs of memory, PC 2700 I think
    ATI 7500
    Sound blaster live 5.1
    WD 80 gig harddrive. I think it has the 8 megs cache, I don't remember to clearly.

I think thats it
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i use to have problems too, and i felt it was due to the color of the disc, my car stereo had trouble with blue cds but the ones rated for Music worked fine.
    yeah, it's got to be the dye then...

Different kind of blanks for that unit might do the trick.

:)
  • hmmmmm. Thats an interesting suggestion. One that i am unable to test anytime soon unfourtunatly.
    It is a distinct possibility.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]Easy CD Creator (came with burner)[/B][/QUOTE]
    Crap... crap... (not enough features)

But what CD-Rs you use?
    There's very big differences between them.
    If you can, buy Plextor's those are one of the best.
    Also Werbatim Datalife [b]Plus[/b] should be pretty good. (without Plus and it's made in B-class factory)

You can check factory with CD-R Identifier.
    [url]http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_2.shtml[/url]

Here's good, but little old page:
    [url]http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml[/url]
    Unfortunately Kodak quited making CD-Rs.
    Imation make very good quality ones. Second only to Verbatim and Mitsubishi (both of which are too much more expensive for the little extra quality, in my opinion).
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i like coasters :D
  • LOL coasters are nice, but I'm starting to get to many of them.

I honsestly think it's not a read error, but the distoritons are actually being burnt onto the disc. I played it back in the burner I used to create it with and got the same chirps and bllips in the same places I did in other CD players. I'll have to try a different medium when I get the Chance. I did get these discs for like 5 bucks for 50 at an Office Max sale.

[QUOTE][I]Originally posted by E.T. [/I]
    [B]But what CD-Rs you use?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

They are Memorex by the way
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    It could also be the color of the dye. Some units won't read the green CDs while some won't read the blue ones. I've been using Verbatims for years and never had a single problem with them. Not a single coaster. Maxell is so-so. My mp3 player has a hard time reading some songs on them.