Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

D&D turns 30!

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
check out this CNN column about it.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/10/16/dungeons.dragons.ap/index.html[/url]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Ah, if only there were decent people to play with around here...
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    Some people at school play it... But I dont, I should try some time.
  • I thought only Satan-worshippers played that... :rolleyes:
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by the_exile [/i]
    [B]I thought only Satan-worshippers played that... :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

when we were cleaning out our new apartment in NYC when we moved in, we found a whole stash of D&D books hidden behind a drawer built into the wall, the previous tennant was an orthodox jew, i guess her son didn't want her to know he had it.
    [B]I thought only Satan-worshippers played that... :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

why do people think that
  • You can practice the "Dark Arts" in D&D, causing a lot of people to associate with Wicca and Satanism. Basically, for the same reason that people associate video games with real-life violence.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Because a lot of people have trouble separating the concepts of "pretending to do something for fun" and "wanting to do something in real life" and so believe that just because you pretend to do something in a game, you will also do that in real life.
    [B]You can practice the "Dark Arts" in D&D, causing a lot of people to associate with Wicca and Satanism. Basically, for the same reason that people associate video games with real-life violence. [/B][/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with Wicca and Satanism... I dont see anything wrong about those Religions.

Edit: Also you dont get Satanists and Wiccas Knocking at your door.
  • You really are just a naive, innocent child, aren't you? ;)
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Damn whish I had known that last week, we could have played D&D instead of shadowrun!

Anyways, yes yes, media hype, but thats all dying out, after all its Video Games that really turn people into mass murders!!

Anyways, the only problem with wicca is alot of its followers are as deluded as christians are. The religion is only 50 years old, not a secret faith that laid dormant for millenium. Hell, the last "eath goddess" pagan cultures in europe died out 2 millenia BEFORE the birth of christ. The pagans that the Christians eradicated were all panthiests. Serious occultists, consider them more then a joke, then again, how seriously can you take "serious occultists"?

As for satanists, I dislike them all in general, cause they are either, stupid, evil, evil and stupid, or just plain nihilistic, or some are good but simply obnoxious. Depends on what "flavor" of satanism they are practicing.

In general, Im eventually going to go inquisitorial on em all and burn them all at the stake to get them out of my way.

Cause nobody expects the Tyvar Inquisition!