Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Tech Help

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
So i put in a 2nd hard drive into my old, 866mhz Dell 4100, Win2k machine and while the Bios and Windows Device Manager both reconize it, windows wont for some reason and its startin to piss me off. does anyone here have any idea what i should do?

The jumpers are properly set. does it have anything to do with the fact that it is a used HD from an old mac, and now im trying to put it into a PC?

Or that the master drive is at the end of the IDE ribbon and that the slave is in the middle of the ribbon?

Help please!

Comments

• AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Is the drive partitioned and formatted?

When you go to Manage the drives on the computer, can you do anything with it?

If it's not been formatted to use with a winbox, it will not get a drive letter.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management

Make one or more partitions on the drive and format them (preferably with NTFS).

I've been having my own fun time with computer maintenance today, producing results such as [url=http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/gallery/random/IMG_0049]this[/url].
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    As Biggles said - you can also get to that control panel by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Manage. Then inside that select Storage > Disk Management

--RC
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I've been having my own fun time with computer maintenance today, producing results such as [url=http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/gallery/random/IMG_0049]this[/url]. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is that like Cat hair or something?

:p
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I've been having my own fun time with computer maintenance today, producing results such as [url=http://www.ece.auckland.ac.nz/~gbig005/gallery/random/IMG_0049]this[/url]. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Nice to see that also others use filters to prevent fans from sucking all dust and shit to inside case.

I've myself used filters in those about five years, after that I havent found any dust inside case... when all other cases I've looked have had lot of that inside.
    Actually, I had to clean out my CPU and vid card fans as well today. I was a bit confused why for a while, until I found another inlet (non-fan) on the front of my case. It now has another filter taped over it. That should fix the problem.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Is that like Cat hair or something?

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope, it's all fine dust.
  • heh....speaking of PC problems...

my sisters PC died. In Windows, every time I tried loading something, I'd be flashed an error message and the PC would restart. I assumed windows corrupted itself.

so, started a format/reinstall. got to 3% formatted and it froze. hard.

so, restarted......and the windows CD couldn't load the DLLs needed to start the windows installation/partitioning. Great. I assumed failed hard drive.

got new hard drive. same problem. Crud.
    so, used fdisc to setup a small fat3d formatted section for it to copy the install files to. nope. tried NTSF via maxblast. nope. then in lost the partition data. :confused: numerous other errors etc....and then a hours later I find out that one of the sticks of ram went bad.

Ram kept the hard drive from formating?!? and deleted partition tabels? WTF?
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]In Windows, every time I tried loading something, I'd be flashed an error message and the PC would restart. I assumed windows corrupted itself.

so, restarted......and the windows CD couldn't load the DLLs needed to start the windows installation/partitioning. Great. I assumed failed hard drive.

so, used fdisc to setup a small fat3d formatted section for it to copy the install files to. nope. tried NTSF via maxblast. nope. then in lost the partition data. :confused: numerous other errors etc....and then a hours later I find out that one of the sticks of ram went bad.

Ram kept the hard drive from formating?!? and deleted partition tabels? WTF? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Exactly same symptoms as in my friends PC whose motherboard cooked little by little. It started from random errors, after couple month installing OS was impossible because system corrupted it instantly.

It corrupts everything because PC "recycles" everything through memory, when you start program its loaded first to memory and CPU runs it from there so faulty memory corrupts programs data even before processors runs it.
    Same way everything goes through memory before it's wrote to HD, which also corrupts bits which go through faulty memory adress.
    Also you used program which plays directly with HD's partitioning info so it's logical that data would be also corrupted.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Macs use the "HFS" system... the way the data is cut to the disk is different. Whatever format you use, it will have to be very low level, if it works at all. I'm not 100% sure but I think you may not even be able to format the sucker to work on a PC. I'm a bit hazy here cos I've never had cause to think about such heresy. Put it this way, I've never heard of anyone doing the frankestein job youre doing...

..'sides, the drive will commit seppuku the moment Windows accepts it..:D
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]heh....speaking of PC problems...

my sisters PC died. In Windows, every time I tried loading something, I'd be flashed an error message and the PC would restart. I assumed windows corrupted itself.

Ram kept the hard drive from formating?!? and deleted partition tabels? WTF? [/B][/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me when I had some RAM go south on me. Everytime I'd get into any heavy rendering/CPU usage, it would either crash the program or BSOD on me. Atleast I thought it was bad RAM. Turns out that the shim I put on the processor was too thick, so the processor wasn't making good contact with the heatsink. I didn't think it was dead, but I sent it back anyways just in-case. Got a brand new one, and a shiny new heatsink to go with it. ;) (I never sent in the old one...even though I was supposed to.)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Macs use the "HFS" system... the way the data is cut to the disk is different. Whatever format you use, it will have to be very low level, if it works at all.[/B][/QUOTE]If drive supports ATA standard then differences are just in file systems, not in "hardware".
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Macs use the "HFS" system... the way the data is cut to the disk is different. Whatever format you use, it will have to be very low level, if it works at all. I'm not 100% sure but I think you may not even be able to format the sucker to work on a PC. I'm a bit hazy here cos I've never had cause to think about such heresy. Put it this way, I've never heard of anyone doing the frankestein job youre doing...

..'sides, the drive will commit seppuku the moment Windows accepts it..:D [/B][/QUOTE]

The filesystem is entirely software. If the drive supports ATA, as mentioned in the post above, then all you need to at a minimum is format the partitions with a windows-compatible filesystem. Clearly, the drive does support ATA since windows recognises it as a device, so it just needs the filesystem made.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    thanks biggles and the rest, this solved a problem that was giving me a major headache!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Same thing happened to me when I had some RAM go south on me. Everytime I'd get into any heavy rendering/CPU usage, it would either crash the program or BSOD on me. Atleast I thought it was bad RAM. Turns out that the shim I put on the processor was too thick, so the processor wasn't making good contact with the heatsink. I didn't think it was dead, but I sent it back anyways just in-case. Got a brand new one, and a shiny new heatsink to go with it. ;) (I never sent in the old one...even though I was supposed to.) [/B][/QUOTE]

I get BSODs occassionally...but mine are much different symptoms when they occur. Generally it happens when there are 2 programs doing lots of disk access (say recording a TV show while doing a deep level file search). However, I think I traced it down to disk access related to file searching (such as DIR * /S) - it seems that when I do DIR /S without limits on entire partitions it gets a buffer overflow that crashes my system. Of course...I have virtual drive linking...so when you do the /S from my F drive you are scanning about 200GBs of drive space (~120GBs used) across 4 partitions on 2 physical drives and 2 controllers (1 ATA, 1 SATA). :cool:
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]Generally it happens when there are 2 programs doing lots of disk access (say recording a TV show while doing a deep level file search).[/B][/QUOTE]

Are you specifically [b]trying[/b] to make your recording drop frames? :D
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    When you get BSOD's, what's the error message? (please be specific)
    That means purposely crashing my system again :)