Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Freelancer TC needs your help

Due to very high contributor turnaround on the B5 total conversion project for Freelancer, work has pretty much ground to a halt. We're looking for scripters, modelers, texture artists... and managers. Interested parties, please report to [url]http://www.b5-flmod.tk/[/url].

Update: new forum url

Comments

• NorlionNorlion Earthforce Officer
    Note: This is a great project. Full 3D interactive universe. Not only can you be in the B5 universe but act as you want to and not in a railroaded mission environment. The Freelancer interface is easy so you master that Starfury in 5 minutes.

btw: I am one of those poor unfortunate souls who ran out of time for this project, but believe me this is easy to mod and the result are very satisfying. I highly recommend this project.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I'd love a freelancer B5 mod, but I'm not really good at anything considering games other than play them...
  • FoxerFoxer Earthforce Officer
    we still wait for anyone to join....sorry for posting that other Thread, I didnt see this one until now :P
  • For those the link mentioned above isn't working as well (404) try this:

[url]http://slb5mod.no-ip.com/forums[/url]
    Then click on the appearing link that forwards you to the forum.
    Still....no replys
  • If I wasn't working on my own mod, I would help as well. I've been finding it very difficult to find people as well. Moddlers and Texturer's are hard to find anymore.
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    I'm afraid my skills don't match your needs. But I am curious about how far along you guys got. It seemed like you had quite a few models ready to go and was just working on some missions to make Release 3.

I was excited to hear about this mod and now I'm saddened about the prospect of it not being finished.

Even if it doesn't have any missions nor a full load of models, maybe release the mod and hopefully the generated excitement of the release will scare up some people with the necessary skills?

What do you mean by scriptors and managers? Since I don't know what you mean by scriptor, I'm assuming I don't have the skill. As for managers, I know what that is, I'm an MIS Manager, but what specifically need managing?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rambie [/i]
    [B]But I am curious about how far along you guys got. It seemed like you had quite a few models ready to go and was just working on some missions to make Release 3.[/B][/QUOTE]

We did have several models in place, but mostly just different versions of what you might find in the B5 ships pack for Freelancer that's been going around for some time.

[QUOTE][B]Even if it doesn't have any missions nor a full load of models, maybe release the mod and hopefully the generated excitement of the release will scare up some people with the necessary skills?[/B][/QUOTE]

Trust me... there's not enough really even for that. We've been building the Sol System, which at present has several EA bases, all of which come from various canon or quasi-canon sources (AoG, Mongoose, etc.). None of these have yet implemented custom base models; they were just base models from Freelancer, with new names, and in appropriate locations. Aside from that, we have a few planets. That's it.

This project has been suffering from Chronic Restart Syndrome, associated with the high staff turn-around. I think it's managed to go through two completely different sets of staff now, and if it doesn't die now, it'll move on to the third.

[QUOTE][B]What do you mean by scriptors and managers? Since I don't know what you mean by scriptor, I'm assuming I don't have the skill. As for managers, I know what that is, I'm an MIS Manager, but what specifically need managing? [/B][/QUOTE]

Scripters are folks who are willing to educate themselves on the structure of the .ini files that power most of what goes on in Freelancer; they're responsible for setting up bases, laying out systems, scripting missions, and basically just tying everything together.

As for what needs managing: the whole project. As I stated above: if the project survives the next few days, it'll have gone into its third distinct staff. Norlion has already dropped away, and I'm basically just hanging on to bring whoever joins in up to speed. One way or another, my involvement with this project will be finished in a few days.

Despite all these setbacks, I still regard a B5 mod for Freelancer as a great project with a lot of potential -- I hope to see it completed some day, too. But I am weary of dealing with the project, and feel it is time to move on.
    Ok acctually I dont care....Rambie if you want ur in the team.....
    Anyways I started to feel I have to start from somewhere and now here are the results: You can buy starfury from earth anjd equip it with Walters WP-135 or Copeland JC444/C Plasma Cannons+it supports 6 countermeasures and 3 Mines (yummie)

Trident---> What MOD are you currently making? Are you making it alone? Is it an FL MOD? You could join us?!?! :)

As for Bekenn--->well he isnt dropping out he will be sort of manager for us

This MOD will start much like the original FL (raider problems) and ends up with the "Endgame" (u know a lot of G.O.D. Satellites etc.)

Only thing I can say even noobs in scripting are welcome you will learn MODding very fast anyway
    The scripting is pretty easy. Honestly I learned in several hours over a week period. It is time consuming.

Models- This appears to be a fairly common problem for a lot B5 projects. We need to pool our modeling resources better as a community.

Rambie was working on the B5 Space Empires IV mod. A fabulous mod if do say so myself. The ship models there are small. Maybe more of a help to an Escape Velocity Nova mod than a Freelancer mod.

One more note putting in objects (planets, stations, bases) is fun. You can mix and match parts and characters on the station what they offer, and the commodites available. The Freelancer game has a lot neat graphics already in, but the project is short on uniquely B5 stuff.

Good Luck.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Norlion [/i]
    [B]Models- This appears to be a fairly common problem for a lot B5 projects. We need to pool our modeling resources better as a community.[/B][/QUOTE]

Firstones may be able to help here, actually. Since we host so many mods we might be able to organise some coordination between them all. I'll have a chat to Sanfam and see what we can come up with.

By the way, why isn't the mod hosted here? ;)
    Given that RubberEagle's friend hosted the mod and that RubberEagle is not on the project anymore a transfer to firstones.com would be a smart and possibly needed move. Foxer is really the one to speak on that, but this would be the logical place to go when the other forum goes down.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foxer [/i]
    [B]As for Bekenn--->well he isnt dropping out he will be sort of manager for us[/B][/QUOTE]

Erm... see what I wrote above? I meant that. I am indeed dropping out, though I plan to be available for advice if it's wanted. I am certainly [i]not[/i] going to be maintaining manager status.
    Ok ok you will then be and advisor for us :p
    Anyways Mail Me! To [email]Foxer_F1@hotmail.com[/email] if you want to offer anykind of help.....as for myself--->I learned basic scripting in 3 days (Making bases, factions, weapons and custom ships)
    I learned making your own sized planets later ;)
    Join now and you will never regret
    Foxer, I'll help, I'd love to see this MOD done. I can help with scripting.

I did not do most of the B5 MOD for SE4. The models I used for it were Lightwave 3D models I found on the Internet. If they are not still available online, I have them. I'm not a modeler, but maybe I could do something if the program was easy, Lightwave is time consuming but I hear Miya (SP?) is supposed to be eaiser to learn. What prog is required to make models for FS2 anyway?

I have the textures I used for the SE4 mod. Again, I'm not a texture artist, but I can see what I can do.

I read a little about Fred2 when I was playing FS2, but that is as far as FS2 MODing as I got.
    Ok there are Good news and bad news:

Good ones first: Yes you can help us and you are in the team....I dont care how much you know, but you definently arent stupid to not understand it :) ;)

And you can help us with these things: 3D Modelling(you can download models, but if you do that you have to work with it to make it Low-Poly in Lightwave..........and I personally use 3DS Max 4 :p 5 :D 6 :) 7 :cool: Its the easiest and most perfect way to model scenes

Anyways here are bad News: WE ARE MAKING A MOD FOR FREELANCER :p NOT FREESPACE 2
    Just for you to know that.....

Ok here is the thing: Mail me to [email]Foxer_F1@hotmail.com[/email] and if you have AOL/ICQ/MSN notify me it is very important
    Also check at our forums: [url]http://slb5mod.no-ip.com/forums/[/url]

And stop by at [url]www.lancersreactor.com[/url] to get the necessary tools for modding...........If you dont have Freelancer then I will talk to you In Private (E-Mail)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foxer [/i]
    [B]Anyways here are bad News: WE ARE MAKING A MOD FOR FREELANCER :p NOT FREESPACE 2 [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, that's not bad news! I like Freelancer. In fact I like the mouse flight model of Freelancer more than the traditional joystick method in FS2.

I didn't even know there was a B5 MOD in the works for FL. woot woot! Ok, I'm sure Norlion told me, but I forgot. :)
  • I run the Babylon 5 mod for X-wing Alliance by myself for now. XWA has became stagnent, but it's the only platform that my modelling tools will work efficently on. (Autocad, Ace DXF, OptTech, Paint Shop Pro. The texturing program only supports 256X256X256 textures max, and not alot of people like that. Not sure of what help I can be, never modded FL due to the tools that need bought which I definitly don't have the money for.
    Trident, check out this forum. [URL=http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=22614&forum_id=44&Topic_Title=%2A%2A+Tutorial+%2A%2A+%2D+Making+a+new+ship+from+scratch&forum_title=Freelancer+3D+Modeling+and+Texturing+Forum&cat_title=Freelancer+Editing&M=False]Lancers Reactor's Forum[/URL] I'm totally new to FL MODing. So I could be wrong, but it looks like you won't need to purchase any tools. 3D modeling, texturing, and hardpoint editing can be done with those tools.

I'm going to try to learn to mod by making my own little star system. No custom models just a new system. But if it works out could maybe become a minor B5 system with just a tweak of the models.

If you need Freelancer, I believe Foxer said he knew someone who'd probably sell it cheap. ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I still want my black hole!

One that doesn't cause seizures, and really drags me in ;)
    Damn.....FL has a MOD where it puts a Black Hole in Manhattan, but it doesnt suck me in....it only make me dizzy
    Ok we have a new forum and you are free to check it out at anytime...the mod has now officially restarted
    [URL=http://www.b5tcforum.cjb.net/]Babylon 5 TC For Freelancer "Severed Dreams" Forum[/URL]
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Just joined up!
    Cool, so guys Join Up! like Rhett did
    Ok if anyoen is intrested then we are offering a Job for someone with web-site making experience.....so basically we need someone to make us a good working website
    The Forum is at: [url]http://s3.invisionfree.com/b5tc/[/url]
    We have a web host with unlimited webspace already so we just need someone to make the Main Site please contact me (Foxer_F1@hotmail.com) or go to the forum and register

Hope someone finds some time