Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Putting Together A Computer

After planning on buying a pre-built computer last December, I finally bought all my un-put-together components last night.

The motherboard will have the CPU and fan already attached together, and pre-tested, but that's about it. Everything else has to be hooked up by me. And while I don't have an anti-static wristband, I plan on buying one soon.

Anyway, is there any step to putting a computer together that a layperson might miss?

My understanding is I just

A) Plug in the RAM, Optical Drive, Hard Drive, and Power Supply when the motherboard and processor are in the case (or out of it if it's easier)
B) Turn on the computer so that I can insert the Windows XP install disk
C) Install Windows XP
D) Easily configure anything that needs configuring when my computer asks me
E) Shut it off
F) Plug in the 3D card
G) Turn it back on and update drivers; then shut it back off
H) Plug in the sound card
I) Turn it back on and update drivers
J) Restart
K) Name my creation
L) Break a bottle of wine on it
M) Enjoy

Did I miss anything?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    1) You just about always want to install the CPU onto the motherboard before putting the motherboard in the case these days. The heatsinks are so chunky that it really is much easier. The only exception is if you have a heatsink that mounts onto the case through the motherboard.

2) Install all the hardware, then do windows. I can't think of any good reason to install windows before half your hardware.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Re: Putting Together A Computer

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]
    Anyway, is there any step to putting a computer together that a layperson might miss?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Insert Tab A, into Slot B, thats all there is to it.
  • I agree with Biggles, if it's all the same to you, install ALL of the hardware before Windows setup. Lets windows find everything the first time around, and less time spent in the guts.

Remember, if you have front case lights (HDD, Power) or powerswitch isn't woring, check to make sure the plugs for those aren't reveresed when you plugged them into the board. It's as simple as just turning them around. Consider this as a possible solution if you have any firewire or USB ports that are supposed to be plugged into the MB...if they don't work, you may just need to flip the plug over:-)

Need any more help, I'm sure this is the place to go!

OH YEAH. ONE MORE THING...IF THE CPU AND HEATSINK WASN'T ON THE MOTHERBOARD WHEN YOU RECEIVED IT. (made this mistake when I built my first computer); often times there is a patch of bonding silicon on the bottom of the CPU heatsink...BUT IT WILL BE COVERED by a protective tab...if your sink has this, remove it BEFORE you seat the heatsink onto the CPU...or else you'll have overheat errors;-) If the CPU and sink were attached when you got it...don't worry about it.

That's it...enjoy!!
  • Some notes:

-- Sometimes, it can be more convenient to install RAM modules on the mainboard *before* putting the mainboard in the case.

-- If you have disk drives on the same cable, one must be configured as "master", while the other is supposed to be either "slave" or "cable select". This is usually done by setting jumpers on the disk drives. The drive generally has a label telling which jumper is which.

If you have drives on different cables, let them all be "master".

NB! This certainly applies to parallel ATA. Since I haven't used a serial ATA drive yet, I cannot be certain about those.
  • serial ATA no longer requires configuration of jumpers. :D
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Attaching the heatsink onto the CPU tends to be the worst part, because you need to use force, and I personally hate using force on such sensitive components (putting aside the incidents where windows does something stupid :D). All I can say is, be aware of every single move you make during that process, because one slip of a screwdriver can damage something expensive to replace.

Oh, and if your heatsink isn't pre-installed on the motherboard, use Arctic Silver instead of that crappy stuff they give you by default! It's worth it.
  • And remember, the idea of Arctic Silver or other paste is only to displace air between the core and heat sink (air is a weak heat conductor and the paste is too when compared to copper or other metal) so a very thin layer will do the job.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Yeah, it's better to plug in every component and then install windows. One silly reason for it is if you don't have a monitor output on the motherboard you won't really see much if you have not installed the 3d-card. :D :p
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Attaching the heatsink onto the CPU tends to be the worst part, because you need to use force, and I personally hate using force on such sensitive components (putting aside the incidents where windows does something stupid :D). All I can say is, be aware of every single move you make during that process, because one slip of a screwdriver can damage something expensive to replace.[/B][/QUOTE]If I can build a computer without putting a hole through the mobo, anyone can. :D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sleepy_shadow [/i]
    [B]-- If you have disk drives on the same cable, one must be configured as "master", while the other is supposed to be either "slave" or "cable select". This is usually done by setting jumpers on the disk drives. The drive generally has a label telling which jumper is which.[/B][/QUOTE]Wrong, you better either configure them fully manually or then use cable select, when drive's position in cable decides which one it is.
    That's why cable's have texts telling where to connect that certain connector. (mobo/master/slave)

And in case of SATA there's no need for configuring because you can't put more than one HD to one cable. (meaning also double amount of cables if you have two HDs)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by C_Mon [/i]
    [B]Yeah, it's better to plug in every component and then install windows. One silly reason for it is if you don't have a monitor output on the motherboard you won't really see much if you have not installed the 3d-card. :D :p [/B][/QUOTE]Yep... I really wonder how it took so long before anyone told this "insignifact" little fact because I noticed it immediately.
    Installing OS without any picture might be little hard.:D
    I was assuming his motherboard had onboard and he was planning to use that. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    Wrong, you better either configure them fully manually or then use cable select, when drive's position in cable decides which one it is.
    That's why cable's have texts telling where to connect that certain connector. (mobo/master/slave)[/QUOTE]
    When using a cable without a connected CS line (pin 28 not pulled to ground for either drive) to my knowledge, setting the drive jumper to CS should always result in the drive going "slave".

However, I really don't know which percentage of currently on-market cables have their CS line disconnected vs. connected to both drives vs. connected properly.

So indeed, thanks for reminding. I should have included that it is preferable to avoid using CS, and thusly avoid chances of needless confusion.
    I've never bothered using cable select. It's too finicky and can change depending on your cable. Setting the jumpers explicitly is much better, in my opinion.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    And for god's sake watch the CPU temperature for the first few minutes before you do anything extensive like install and OS.

Most BIOS have an option to see the CPU and System temp (as long as the sensors and fans have been plugged in). This will tell you if you are having issues with the heat sink before you move on to some other part of the project and burn it up.

;)

BTW, if you were to install say... Mandrake 10.1 as an OS for example, boot from the CD...

:p

Right Biggles? :D
    Yes. But don't forget to tell your computer you want to boot from a CD first. :D
  • MTMT Ranger
    For the RAM, do I put the chips in one pair of those slots, or do I put one chip in one of the paired slots, and the other in a slot in the other pair?
  • It depends on the pin size see if it fits. ALSO DO NOT PUT THE RAM IN BACKWARDS! YOU WILL SMOKE THE RAM & THE MOBO! I know from experience. :D

To avoid it make sure the gap on the ram lines up with the gap in the mobo.
    [B]For the RAM, do I put the chips in one pair of those slots, or do I put one chip in one of the paired slots, and the other in a slot in the other pair? [/B][/QUOTE]

It depends on your motherboard and chipset. From your description, it sounds like you have a chipset that can support dual channel. Guessing from my own experience, this means if you have two sticks of RAM, put one in each of the paired slots. If you only have one, it doesn't matter where you put it.

To be sure, read your motherboard's manual and see what it says for different combinations.
  • MTMT Ranger
    Yeah, it's an nForce 4 board and dual channel RAM.

Thanks.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    you forgot to add a prayer to the machine gods, and a libation of sacred mineral oils...:)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]you forgot to add a prayer to the machine gods, and a libation of sacred mineral oils...:) [/B][/QUOTE]
    And if you forget this important task, your PSU will almost certainly release the sacred blue smoke in order to placate the gods. :eek:
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    and as we all know electronics all work on smoke, release it and they no longer do.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Come on guys... Your machine has to occasionally give incense offerings you know...

;)
  • MTMT Ranger
    (Please forgive my lack of knowing the jargon.)

Well, it turns out that the two cables that go from my power supply to my motherboard are too short, so I have to wait till tomorrow before I turn on my masterpiece (if Comp USA has the extension cables I need -- please God let them have it).

Anyway, there was one of those 4 pin connector things. My motherboard manual calls it an EZ_Plug. I'm sure you know what it is. They're all over the place. This one is the one with the pins rather than what pins are shoved into. And, again, it's attached directly to my motherboard.

Am I supposed to connect my powersuppy to it? Because I have enough cables from my ModStream to connect one to it, but I might need another extension cable to do it. Or do I plug a device into it? I have a case fan right next to it, which has both ends of the 4 pin thing, so I can either plug it into my power supply or into my motherboard. Right now it's plugged into my powersupply.

I have a Temjin 6 case. Only the front is aluminum, unfortunately, but the reviews regarding cooling were good so I figured it was ok. Anyway, there's a wire attached to the back. One end is a little switch, and the other end is something I'm guessing gets plugged into something but I don't know what. None of the manuals mention it. The connector end is labeled "INT SW." I'm guessing it's for a case light, if I had one.

And those cables from the front for the switch and activity lights and stuff... does it matter how they're plugged in? They fit where they're supposed to, but I'm just wondering if them being oriented wrong will cause problems. I'm guessing no, but considering everything you've just read, it's pretty clear I'm too clueless to make a call like that.

I'm going to plug in my old hard drive to transfer all my digital photos to my new SATA hard drive as soon as everything is set up with the operating system. This was a piece of cake with my mom's computer, which had the same cable. Is there anything I need to know about doing this?

My copy of Windows XP comes with an "OEM Preinstillation Kit." It's also has service pack 2 on it. So it's a bit confusing which I use first. I'm guessing I use this CD second. Tell me if I'm wrong, or if you know what else it's for (besides installing serivce pack 2).
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [B]And those cables from the front for the switch and activity lights and stuff... does it matter how they're plugged in? They fit where they're supposed to, but I'm just wondering if them being oriented wrong will cause problems.[/B][/QUOTE]Switches like reset and power can be connected any way, but power and HD leds are propably sensitive to polarity... and there's polarity markings in their connectors so it best to check from manual which pin of mobo's connector is which.

For different power connectors...
    [img]http://www.enermax.com.tw/upload/clgcable1111.jpg[/img]
  • Are you sure there to short? That really doesn't sound right did you check to see if the cable is tied by a little plastic strip? it should be clear or black. You will have to cut that to get your full length either that or you have an unusually large case.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    very strange for your cables to be too short unless your power supply is in a different computer case. I would check to make sure its not tied up anywhere like cable guy said.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    This one is the one with the pins rather than what pins are shoved into. And, again, it's attached directly to my motherboard.

Am I supposed to connect my powersuppy to it?[/QUOTE]
    Power connectors with pins are more frequent on power-consuming devices -- while connectors with holes are likely on power-supplying devices (more difficult to accidentally short out).

However, some fan connectors on the mainboard... are indeed an exception.

If a connector appears unconventional... I would check first and connect things later. Does it have a label or number printed next to it?
    If the connector isn't in the list given by E.T, can we get a photo of it?

I agree that it sounds odd to have cables that are too short, and they may just be tied up somewhere. What model motherboard do you have?
  • MTMT Ranger
    I have an Asus nForce 4 SLI. My powersupply is an OCZ ModStream. The cables are too short, probably because my Temjin 6 case has the hard drives between my motherboard and power supply, and the motherboard is oriented so that those power inputs are at the bottom of the case. They aren't tied up by anything.

I have a combination 20 + 4 pin main connector, the top middle one, as well as the 12V 4 pin, bottom left.

I can plug both into my motherboard if only I had extension cables. I'll be getting them soon.