Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Just heard something odd about automotive travel...

TycoTyco RangerTexas
According to a friend, she heard on the radio that various state governments are contemplating a tax for distance traveled in a vehicle. When you fill up, a chip in the pump communicates with a chip in the vehicle and tallies a tax for the distance you have traveled. Says Georgia has already initiated this, but I have yet to have heard a thing about this so called Chip.

Anyway, any confirmation or denial on this subject matter?

Comments

• I believe that was tossed out in California, ergo: Not happening.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    This is the last I heard about it, from 4 days ago:

[url]http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/15/201217&tid=158[/url]
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    She said that California and Texas were both up for the possability of this tax, but i would have thought that with something this... insane, the news would have broadcasted something about it. Huh. Especially if it was effective in any state.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    If I remember correctly, I thought that's partly why gas wasn't free ;)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    If we are paying taxes on gas, arent we already paying taxes for how far we drive?

wouldnt that be taxing us twice?

thats pretty fucked up, I did 46k miles last year driving across texas for my job, that would be a serious hit to the pocketbook.
  • It sounds irrational.
    No way.

Taxing the economic transaction of buying fuel (which companies have to record in accounting) is easy -- and practised worldwide in many countries.

Artificially raising the price of fuel, gasoline excise can remind people of the importance of conserving non-renewable resources.

--------------

Oppositely, taxing distance traveled... might not only contradict laws... but would create measurement problems *nastily* difficult to adequately solve... and would promote anti-sustainable behaviour.

Taxing gasoline per liter... supports vehicles which travel further, and consume less liters. Taxing a kilometer makes it irrelevant if you travel alone in a two-floor bus... plow the road with a tank... or buzz about using an ultralight 0.05-liter moped.

To my knowledge, no country taxes distance traveled in motor vehicles -- and the first to attempt will notice *quickly* how foolish an action it has undertaken.
  • I could actually see this causing one JackN's Civil war scenarios. Hell probably outright revolt. Imagine how much truckers will have to dip into their earnings.
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Heard on the radio that Oregon's thinking of putting GPS devices in cars to track the mileage.

What about all those people buying hybrid cars? Isn't this more of a punishment for them? Oregon's looking at replacing the gas taxes with this thing. Sounds like a gift to Hummer owners to me.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    The point is they want to make up for lost revenues that Hybrid owners are taking, or at least thats how its sounded in articles. And of course I think that is complete BS because Hybrid owners deserve that break from taxes, they buy less gas and are helping transition away from a gas based transportation sector (which is good as far as Im concerned). So basically it sounds like a way to make sure that hybrid owners "pay their fair share" :rolleyes: Im not even a hybrid owner, but it still sounds pretty assbackwards to me.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    You can imagine how electric car owners are likely to feel about the idea.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i think the appropriate response to that is :f*ck that for a laugh!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]I could actually see this causing one JackN's Civil war scenarios. Hell probably outright revolt. Imagine how much truckers will have to dip into their earnings. [/B][/QUOTE]

Better not pass in any state that hosts the I-40 Freeway before I move to TN.

:mad:
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Its a Gov. fear that they will lose revenue. With the advent of fuel cells, the hydrogen economy and ordinary electric cars... taxing petrol isn't going to work... so they are trying to shoehorn this new tax into the system before the electric revolution really takes off.

Trust me, they are going to try and find a way to get back a rather large chunk of revenue somehow. If they try this chip dealy.. screw them... I'll make sure my chip gets 'damaged' somehow. I wouldnt mind so much, paying road based taxes, if the fucking tax went into making/maintaining/making roads safe. It doesnt, it just goes into general revenue to be spent on crap...
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]I wouldnt mind so much, paying road based taxes, if the fucking tax went into making/maintaining/making roads safe. It doesnt, it just goes into general revenue to be spent on crap... [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly. The roads I take into and through Dallas have probably been some of the worst roads I've been on since the last time I ventures north to Oklahoma.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]Exactly. The roads I take into and through Dallas have probably been some of the worst roads I've been on since the last time I ventures north to Oklahoma. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, every road in and around Dallas sucks. Although my kids really enjoy all the "Dips" on I-20.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SpiritOne [/i]
    [B] Although my kids really enjoy all the "Dips" on I-20. [/B][/QUOTE]

Which ones? The ones driving or the holes in the roads?

:p
    There are these spots on I-20 southeast Dallas where they put a sign that says DIP or BUMP and you get that rollercoaster feel for a second. Its nothing more than a pain in the ass, Highway 80, and I-30 blow the potholes are nuts.

On the upside, traffic usually moves pretty smooth throughout the city even at rush times, but the roads really suck.
  • That whole double taxation thing pissis me off.

That whole World One thing made U.S. federal income tax. You think we paid for it allready?
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Re: Just heard something odd about automotive travel...

Wouldn't that be inversely effective. If you want to discourage gas-guzzling environmentally polluting SUVs you should do 1/miles per gallon.

And don't they already get you with a tax just based on getting gas?

And how would they tax you on electric cars when you use your home electrical outlet? purple
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [B]I agree, every road in and around Dallas sucks. Although my kids really enjoy all the "Dips" on I-20. [/B][/QUOTE]
    LOL, too true. Its mostly the east-west routes, though. 45 (esp 75 north) and 35 are shaping up nicely.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PSI-KILLER [/i]
    [B]That whole double taxation thing pissis me off.

That whole World One thing made U.S. federal income tax. You think we paid for it allready? [/B][/QUOTE]

In the UK at least 75% of the price of petrol goes straight to the government, we pay about the same per litre of petrol as you guys pay per gallon.

On top of that you also have Road Tax.

Then there's the increasing popularity of congestion charges to try and force cars off the road. This of course ignores the large number of buses that run at a fraction of their capacity.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    [B]There are these spots on I-20 southeast Dallas where they put a sign that says DIP or BUMP and you get that rollercoaster feel for a second. Its nothing more than a pain in the ass, Highway 80, and I-30 blow the potholes are nuts.

On the upside, traffic usually moves pretty smooth throughout the city even at rush times, but the roads really suck. [/B][/QUOTE]

The 635 between Dallas and Irving, now THAT'S a trip. Road construction juts the road to one side, and some people well.... fail to realize this. Atleast down there the highways are more than two lanes. Anything north of Lewisville is two lane, and bottlenecks into one large headache. If they were to tax for the usage, make it a 5 lane expressway.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anla'Shok Douglas Nicol [/i]
    [B]In the UK at least 75% of the price of petrol goes straight to the government, we pay about the same per litre of petrol as you guys pay per gallon.

On top of that you also have Road Tax.

Then there's the increasing popularity of congestion charges to try and force cars off the road. This of course ignores the large number of buses that run at a fraction of their capacity. [/B][/QUOTE]

we just voted on congestion charges here in ebinburgh last week. it'll be a while before we hear how it went tho. personally i really dont see the point here in edinburgh, we have a great bus system that runs on time and the roads are rarely very congested (apart from the usual rush hour, but even that aint too bad). all it'll do is raise blood pressure and raise more money for the scottish excutive to waste on more stupid projects in the central belt instead of using it for something worthwhile like schools etc.

for an example of the sorts of wastes of money im talking about look up the new parliament building for the executive (over half a billion pounds, god knows how long behind schedule, and with the majority of the population opposed to it) :rolleyes:
  • ShadowDancer, I agree, the Executive building is a grade A eyesore (what was wrong with using either an existing building or getting a half sane design from a Scots architect?), and what's in it doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
    the funniest story i heard about it was that some of the offices for the MSP's were in little protusions on the outside of the walls. however, when the building was nearly finished they discovered that the designers hadnt left enough room for the MSP's to get their 'ample' girths round behind their desks, so they had to innitiate a redesign of those offices at cost to joe taxpayer