Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Internet image problem

Ok, basically, a few days ago I noticed that for some strange reason, every single image file/picture I view through my Internet web browers (AOL and Internet Explorer) are of drastically lower quality than normal. (Such as JPEGs, etc.)

My signature pic, which used to be perfect, now looks blurred and of very low quality compared to EXACTLY the same image which is saved on my computer, which is pristine.

Not only this, but only a few minutes ago, I found out that I cannot successfully save pictures from the internet. The save window now only gives me [b]two[/b] options (*ART and *BMP) compared to the half dozen I used to have. I can't even save them as JPEGS!
What's more, even if I save the pictures as either ART or BMPs, I can't view them afterwards using Paint or Internet Explorer; they seem to be corrupted and don't appear.

Even more worrying, is that System Restore doesn't seem to affect it, even if I go back a couple of weeks!

I'd REALLY apreciate any help with this one, guys. :(

Regards,
Morden

Comments

• The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    Solution dont use INTERNET EXPLORER

Use FIREFOX!
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]Solution dont use INTERNET EXPLORER

Use FIREFOX! [/B][/QUOTE]
    He speaks the truth!
  • Ok, here's an update taken from an identical topic I posted on UKAN.

I just tried deleting all of my Temporary Internet Files, and it worked! Everything's back to normal!

Can any of you guys offer an explanation as to why a buildup of TIFs could have caused the above problems? Can I avoid this in future?

(Problem occurs again.)

Ok, the problem is intermittant, and deleting the Temporary Internet Files no longer works. I've also tried restarting, but again, no joy.

I bet this is a f*cking virus.

EDIT

Ok, I closed down my browser, deleted the TIFs, and everything is normal. However, I'll bet that after a few minutes browsing I'll start to have the same image quality/saving problems again.

EDIT

Oh look, I was right...

I don't have the same problem on the computer downstairs, which is what makes this all the more infuriating. Guess I'll have to get the technician round...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    A friend of mine is having the same problem. I haven't gone over there in a while to look at it. For now I suggest trying other browsers such as firefox. But I'm interested if you find any solutions and I'll let you know if I find any.

BTW, virus and spyware scanners all updated and done full scans?
  • *Laughs bitterly*

I've got AOL and Firefox open simultaniously, and on AOL I have the poor quality image/saving problems, and on Firefox, everything is PERFECT. This is totally [b]absurd[/b].

(However, big thanks for recommending FF to me, guys.)

Croxis, Last time I downloade spyware and virus protection (McAfee) from AOL, it froze my computer, and I was lucky to get away with it.

Can you recommend any free alternatives?

Regards,
    Morden
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    go with AVG
    [url]http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1[/url]

They have a freeware version of it.

for spyway, get Spybot S&D
    [url]http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/[/url]

and of course, AdAware:
    [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/[/url]
  • Cheers mate, I'll test these out, and I'll see what the technician has to say.

On that note Croxis, if the chap has anything useful to say, I'll make sure to pass the information onto you for your friend.

[b]**EDIT**[/b]

Ok, firstly, I can't post/edit messages in any internet message boards (including Firstones) using Firefox. I can only post using AOL or IE. (When click "submit", the progress bar stays blank and nothing happens.) In addition a message comes up in the bottom left corner saying "waiting for forums firstones.com..."

Oh yeah, AdAware crashed my PC. I think forking-out for Norton is in order. :(

Regards,
    Morden
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    How much drive space do you have left? Maybe a worm?

Sounds like a cache setting in the browser might be too small...?

or both...

fucking AOL... these people think they invented the internet or something...

Anyway, good luck on the solution. ;)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]Cheers mate, I'll test these out, and I'll see what the technician has to say.

On that note Croxis, if the chap has anything useful to say, I'll make sure to pass the information onto you for your friend.

[b]**EDIT**[/b]

Ok, firstly, I can't post/edit messages in any internet message boards (including Firstones) using Firefox. I can only post using AOL or IE. (When click "submit", the progress bar stays blank and nothing happens.) In addition a message comes up in the bottom left corner saying "waiting for forums firstones.com..."

Oh yeah, AdAware crashed my PC. I think forking-out for Norton is in order. :(

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I can tell you the problem isn't firefox, it is something else. I do not know the compatability of firefox and aol however. Also these free programs should NOT crash your system (and studies have found the free anti-spyware does a better job than the paid software).

I suggest two things: make sure you have at least 200 mb free on your drive and you run anti-viral BEFORE anti-spyware. Also what version of windows are you running, have you installed any service packs if its xp, and have you done any automatic updates? Also when was the last time you re-installed windows (with or without format).
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Also what version of windows are you running, have you installed any service packs if its xp, and have you done any automatic updates?[/B][/QUOTE]
    I would rate one thing over those all: firewall
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Well I can tell you the problem isn't firefox, it is something else. I do not know the compatability of firefox and aol however. Also these free programs should NOT crash your system (and studies have found the free anti-spyware does a better job than the paid software).

I suggest two things: make sure you have at least 200 mb free on your drive and you run anti-viral BEFORE anti-spyware. Also what version of windows are you running, have you installed any service packs if its xp, and have you done any automatic updates? Also when was the last time you re-installed windows (with or without format). [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm positive this has something to do with the new internet connection we've recently had installed, and my own PC networked to the Internet as well. (It was all done last Friday.) The image problems are occuring with JUST my PC, not the family one.

In addition, I can't seem to bid for stuff on eBay, on my PC. Bloody annoying.

I'm also having problems using FTP programs, and a can't upload files anymore; the progress bar goes up to 20% and the bitrate drops down to 0.00. (The FTP problems occurs on [b]both[/b] the family and my own PC.) I've tried taking down the firewalls, but this doesn't help.

What makes this so infuriating, is that my PC is pretty much top-spec; with Windows XP Professional and Service Pack 2 installed into the bargain. (My 200GB HD is 62% free.) As a result, I've never re-installed Windows on it, as I bought the machine last October. (I also downloaded an automatic update last night.)

[b]JackN[/b]

How do I change the cache setting? What would this do?

[b]E.T.[/b]

After McAfee Antivirus and Firewall crashed my PC after a Downloaded them, I'm bot going to do so again anytime soon. All we have on both computers is windows Firewall.

Regards,
    Morden
  • SON OF A BITCH!

Ok guys, it's definately the new network internet connection that's causing the trouble; at least with uploading files. I plugged in the old Broadband modem to the family PC, and I had no trouble uploading stuff to my FTP server.

Regards,
    Morden
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]SON OF A BITCH!

Ok guys, it's definately the new network internet connection that's causing the trouble; at least with uploading files. I plugged in the old Broadband modem to the family PC, and I had no trouble uploading stuff to my FTP server.

Regards,
    Morden [/B][/QUOTE] Macs dont have this problem. :D

Id suggest making sure they are all on the same network neigborhood n all have the same updates. Windows is the most picky operating system when it comes to networks. Sometimes you may not even see the other machine(s) on the network when everything is in perfect shape!
  • Again, I'm getting a technician round; so he should (hopefully) be able to sort things out.

It's weird, since everything worked fine with my PC including the FTP after it was hooked-up to the 'net last Friday. It's only been since... Tuesday, I think, that things have been going wrong. :(

Regards,
    Morden