Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Road Rage and Psychos

TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
While Riding with a friend today, it looked like I was going to be a victom of road rage.

The whole story is at

[url]http://www.livejournal.com/users/tyvar/[/url]

but for the lazy I will quote the relevent portion here.

Then things get weird. Zeb goes to take me home, and were on the highway and it narrows down, and all I know is we have this car that doesnt want to let Zeb merge, but Zeb merges anyway. So far normal, then Zeb turns onto the road I live on. Not a big deal The car is behind us as we approach my driveway which is damn near impossible to spot unless you know where and what it is. And even if you do see it, it looks like a driveway out of a steven king novel, nobody sane goes down there uninvited. But Zeb being paranoid decideds to gun past my driveway, so I give directions to zeb and we take a series of turns and drive around in a loop, which the other car followed us all around . By that time some distance had been opened up behind Zebs car and the car behind us so were able to duck down my driveway.

The second the car stopped, hell I dont know if it had stopped yet, I was out of the car and running into the house, I got to the weapons and broke out my witness first, threw the ready mag in chambered a round, grabed the phone book and went downstairs I gave zeb the , gave becky the phone book to call the sherrifs department. I then grabbed both the M1A and the Garand and loaded them up and handed the M1A to Zeb, while I kept the Garand. Then we waited. The guy drove up and down the road like three times looking for us, and it was kinda tense. Eventually time passed and he didnt come by again, so they decided to head home.

All's quiet now thank god, but again, it was really tense there for a bit.

So yeah, That was my Sunday Afternoon.

Oh and for the reason why we armed instead of just relying on the cops. Is that unless the Deupty that lives up the road is home and ready to go, response time is about 15 minutes.

And you guys wonder why I take self defense so seriously.

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    besides big dumb idiots are less likely to get out of the car with the business end of a vintage assult rifle pointing at them.

what all do use your Garand for? Mine just sits in its nice case on the wall. (gift from the Marine Corps, I won it in competition shooting) I dont think I will ever fire it.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    My garand was an service issue weapon. The reciever on mine was made in 1942l but its been rebarelled at least once in about 52, and then not seen much usage till I aquired it in 2000.

I pretty much use it for target shooting, since it is a very sweet shooter. I probably will take it elk hunting eventualy with the 2 and 5 round clips to make it legal in terms of ammo capacity.

And dont let the apparent age fool you, guns with nickle iron steel frames DONT suffer frame fatigue like aluminum or stainless steel guns. Ive got a 1911 thats now about 80 years old and while Ive replaced every spring in the gun at least once now and the barrel about three times, its still a phenomanal weapon.

All in all Im more comfortable with "vintage" assualt weapons, due to their heavier rounds they throw, there is a reason why infantry squads in Iraq now have one M14 assigned to them ;)
  • Bloody hell, that sounded like pretty scary stuff. The adrenaline must have really been pumping when you broke out the hardware. Makes me wish I had a few .45/.577 rounds for my Martini Henry.

Regards,
    Morden
    I was pretty scared, but It was nice to be able to know that if things went bad I could at least a credible attempt to defend myself.

I think you might be in some legal trouble with the Martini Henry rounds though considering the general laws in your country ;)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]I was pretty scared, but It was nice to be able to know that if things went bad I could at least a credible attempt to defend myself.

I think you might be in some legal trouble with the Martini Henry rounds though considering the general laws in your country ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

"Credible" attempt? By God, sir, your house would have been a veritable Alamo. ;)

I'd need a firearms certificate to own live rounds for the Martini, but it is legal, and perfectly possible. However, I hear they come in at $200 for a box of 20, since the chaps who manufactured them in the 60s have since liquidated. (Kynoch?)

Regards,
    Morden
    Heh, a veritable Alamo, that statement makes me think. I need cannons now ;)

As for the cost of the martini henry rounds, if you did go that rout perhaps you should look into reloading, although assembling those rounds could be a bit more difficult then modern rounds :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Heh, a veritable Alamo, that statement makes me think. I need cannons now ;)[/B][/QUOTE]

And a racoon skin hat. :cool:

As for MH rounds, I have some empty, intert solid brass cartridges for the weapon, but they're a bit too big to fit the breach owing to expansion. There are a couple of bulletmakers here in Britain that blank produce Boxer Henry cartridges for re-enactment, so they'll probably able to manufacture the real deal as well.

Regards,
    Morden
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]All in all Im more comfortable with "vintage" assualt weapons, due to their heavier rounds they throw...[/B][/QUOTE]5.56x45mm/.223 Remington : 1786 joules

.30-06 Springfield M2: 3357 joules
    (book says Garand accepts only M2 "version")

This sounds nice, doesn't it?
    .338 Lapua Magnum: 6782 joules
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Weapon crazy americans I say.....if it had been in Florida you could have shot to kill in self-defence.....If you really NEED to have a weapon then that in itself is proof of a society out of control. And assault weapons?

Ah well, suppose its nice to have when the time to revolt against the government comes (read something regarding that the american people had the right to revolt against its own government when the time was right)
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    .45/70 = 4293 joules

308gr projectile (minimum) which expands to approximately 7/8"

(you can get upto around 475gr)

Lapua is only 250gr and even with the best expansion is not even going to get close to that of the .45/70. The Lapua is also going to be a much greater fragmentation and deflection risk, especially at closer ranges.

There is no point to massive velocity and penetration, if you can't actually impart the energy on the target.

There also alot to be said for good ole fashioned inertia.

I'd rather hit you with my big sorta slow sledgehammer, rather than hit you with a engineers hammer....:)