Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Keyboard Settings Problem

Basically, I had my hard drive formatted today to get rid of some spyware, and as a result, a couple of things on my PC have to be changed, one of them being my keyboard.

In short, a few of the number/icon keys are back to front; from example, shift-2 doesn't come up as " but @ instead.

Is there a way of changing things so that the characters actually match what's on the keyboard?

Cheers. :)

Regards,
Morden

Comments

• ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    Do you have any special kind of keyboard, or is it you basic IBM noisykey? Have you tried plugging in another keyboard and seeing if the problem persists? Have you run through WindowsUpdate? Have you updated drivers for all your hardware?
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    It sounds like you have the wrong region set for your keyboard. Shift-2 is @ in the US, so that is probably the culprit.

In Win2k:
    Go to Settings > Keyboard > Input Locales

Not sure in other operatingsystems.

--RC
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    Hm. Misread the bit about @ and ". Yeah, sounds like you got the wrong keyboard set up. On XP:

Start : Control Panel : Regional and Language Options : Languages : Text Services and Language Options : Details

Should be able to find your way from there.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Sounds like ASCII keyboard layout.

Which is BTW very useful to have on paper, some games just don't work with other keyboard layouts, at least characters with ALT+key combinations doesn't work.

You can download one from [url=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~tuunaes/ASCII%20keyboardmap.gif]here[/url].
    (you'll find backslash from one row lower of its position in that map and left from enter... or from left side of Z)
  • AH-HAHAHA!!!

Cheers Arethusa, that sorted it out! :)

Regards,
    Morden