Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

buying a new pc

AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
Hi

I have £500 earmarked for a new PC.
This could be a ready made piece of kit or a home build from various parts.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to get & where to get it.

I need the system unit + monitor +keyboard & mouse. I already have printer & scanner.

So, suggestions anyone?

Comments

• EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Re: buying a new pc

With such a small budget, why not try Mac Mini?

[url]http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/[/url]

If I was buying a new PC, the cheapest hardware available wouldn't be my choice.

Keyboard and mouse are easy to pick up: Logitech UltraX Flat and MX518. You just can't go wrong with those beauties.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    I guess it depends what you are doing. If you are just doing spreadsheets then you can save half of your doe. Since you need everyting and not bare bones , I would just go with a Dell UK. I would go as low as possable too bank what is left over. Make sure it is upgradable for future tech and upgrade at your own pace. It took me 8 months to buy a new computer and in the end I just got monitor and stuff seperate over a few months then got a nice rig bare bones.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Dell? Don't make me hit you.
    I know, I know.. they do have warrenties though. The new longhorn is going 64bit so I would definitly suggest have it ready for that. I have seen Dells in business and for that stuff, it all depends what is the end use and budget. Low end is £279. Not bad for monitor and everything. My box alone was £500. Custom built but with no monitor or keyboard or mouse.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    I will be doing remote support and a bit of vb programming, (& learning Java ) and staying in touch with folks using this box. its a working-from-home machine.

It isn't to be a games machine, I have a playstation for that if I feel the need! :)
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    I have looked at the Dell site and the prices seemed reasonable but I wondered what is achievable by shopping around.

A mac isn't really an option for what I need to do although I have used them on occasion and quite like the interface.
    You have a wide selection then. I use mine for gaming and junk like that, my last game console was SEGA CD.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Dell? Don't make me hit you. [/B][/QUOTE]Well, I'm quite satisfied with the [url=http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=producthighlights&sku=30906&spagenum=&category_id=6198&brandid=&k=&c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&mnfsku=&orderby=&searchtype=&pageb4search=&page=productlisting.aspx&instock=&refurbished=]UltraSharp 2405FPW[/url] I bought two months ago... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That'll be relabled. Dell monitors are almost always relabled somethings. I have a Sony Trinitron at home with "Dell" stamped on the front. :)
    This one has a Samsung PVA panel. The monitor itself is assembled in Limerick, Ireland.
  • Pay for my ticket and I'll come build you a system. :D

Also, I'm looking at buying [URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824005039&ATT=Monitors+LCD+Flat+Pa&CMP=OTC-C173T]this[/URL] LCD monitor to replace my two five-year old CRTs. The dead-pixel count is approaching triple digits. :D
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Why that monitor in particular?
    I'd say it has a very good price/quality ratio.