Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A thought about hyperspace...

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
I've always wondered this, does hyperspace have enough gassious substance to cause drag? The reason's why I question:

- It appears gassy
- Almost all races of ships, save humans, have some resemblence of aerodynamic functionality in the design.
- Several times though the shows, there was a command for best speed, seeming to indicate that there was some sort of drag-induced velocity constraint
- Finally, in a couple episodes, there were concerns about drifting off the navigational beacon, indicating some sorts of currents.

Anyways, discuss...

Jake

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    We know there are currents in hyperspace. We don't know if there is any sort of physical drag force, but the currents would certainly have a similar effect. They could, however, be something like gravitational currents or some other force that isn't transmitted through a physical medium.

When they say "best speed," they could also mean "accelerate constantly till we're half way, then decellerate the rest of the way," giving the fastest possible time to get there.
  • The only explanation of hyperspace I've ever read that came close to making any sense at all (regardless of its questionable basis in scientific fact) was that hyperspace is basically a smaller version of our galaxy, meaning that distances are shorter.
  • No gases ever seemed to come through jump points or gates.

But then as its a [I]different[/I] place the rules in hyperspace are all different, aren't they?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I would have thought some gasses did when the whitestars jumped inside of Jupiter and Mars atmospheres.
  • If some matter can pass through, all matter can pass through. If anything else is true then we're dealing with magic.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]I would have thought some gasses did when the whitestars jumped inside of Jupiter and Mars atmospheres. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I meant, but the other way around - we never saw gas coming out of hyperspace.
  • Maybe the jump point suck matter in, so gases can't exhause.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    As I recall, there's a "current" flowing into or out of a jump point, depending on which way it's going. You can't enter hyperspace through a jump point that was just used by another ship to exit, for example.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]As I recall, there's a "current" flowing into or out of a jump point, depending on which way it's going. You can't enter hyperspace through a jump point that was just used by another ship to exit, for example. [/B][/QUOTE]

That would certainly be consistent with the sudden acceleration of ships when in transit through a jump point.

(Look at us taking it all serious-like :p )
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    well theres often talk about the gravitational incline and eddies, so i figure thats what causes this 'drag'
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I still get haunted by Besters up and coming bit-on-the-side putting the mundane out the airlock ;)
  • I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that the currents were gravitational in nature, possible when the explorer ship or Delen and Lenier's white star was disabled. I can;t remember for sure though and have to go to work so i do not have time to research at this moment.
  • Work?

That's where I post most often!

:shadow1:

(Still do my work tho!)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    "Gravitational Eddies"? ;)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HuntSmacker [/i]
    [B]"Gravitational Eddies"? ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

They're regular guys named Eddie, who are so big that they have a noticeable gravitational field. :D

(Was funny through an alcohol fueled haze...)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MeadDrinker [/i]
    [B]Work?

That's where I post most often!

:shadow1:

(Still do my work tho!) [/B][/QUOTE]

Used to be able to do that at my last job, but my current one trackes web use. (Damned gov agencies)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Reminds me of a memorable passage from one of my Scott Adams books. (paraphrased) "In an interview, ask your prospective employer if their company has unmonitored internet connections. If they say yes, jump up, pump your fist and shout, "Yes!" It's important to show enthusiasm.

"Then ask if the company offers in-office chair-massages. If so, strip to the waist and insist on having yours now. This is the kind of company you want to work for. Don't settle for less."