Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Look out Gulf Coast!

Best wishes to all the folks about to be hit by Katrina. Even the world economy is going to feel the effects of this one I fear. :(

People were foolish tempting fate by living and building in New Orleans but I'm getting ready to cut a check to the American Red Cross for this one anyway.

Comments

• Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    Wow.. Never live in a place thats below sea level!
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Reaver4k [/i]
    [B]Wow.. Never live in a place thats below sea level! [/B][/QUOTE]

Not everyone in New Orleans can afford to move or live elsewhere.
  • The images of the distruction is amazing. So sad.

Several of my clients have been on the phone crying not sure what to do and where to go. :(

I am very upset about some of the criminal activity going on. :mad:
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Konrad [/i]
    [B]I am very upset about some of the criminal activity going on. :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]Yeah, sometimes old fashioned lynching would be really approriate.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I was rather bothered by the looting too. I was hoping that after what has happened to this country in the past few years, people would recognize each others value and help keep order.

I get the feeling that if New York had suffered a similar fate, there would be a much more positive outcome...

Jake
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I heard that there have even been shootings, including someone shooting a police officer in the head. It's disgusting.
  • I honestly can't believe how serious this disaster is. I first thought I was mistaken when I heard the Mayor of New Orleans speculate that the death toll may be in the thousands.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Brother said hotels that haven't been damaged and those in surrounding areas have trippled their prices.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    It is not like there was no warning, If the U.S. President goes on TV and says get out of the storms way and keep your family safe, I would be hail tailing it out of there. Boarderline cat4/5 hurricane you won't have to tell me twice.

I was in New Orleans back in 2000, It is shame with all those historical buildings, but historically the city was under water before and it always came back. the dikes were built in the 1920's and I am sure when they built it it wasn't for 80 years.
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    Somthing must not be right with me becuase I have the same feelings as I did about the Tsusami... I wont say what they are.... Because I cant. Does show how the Humanity in me is dead.
  • Tis bloody sad:( I dont know why people stayed there and if they had no means of getting out then surely the government could have tried to evac them no matter how hard it would have been.:(
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Brother said hotels that haven't been damaged and those in surrounding areas have trippled their prices. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly the same happened after the London bombings in July. It's absolutely disgusting that people can be so despicably exploitative.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by whitestar90 [/i]
    [B]Tis bloody sad:( I dont know why people stayed there and if they had no means of getting out then surely the government could have tried to evac them no matter how hard it would have been.:( [/B][/QUOTE]

Many of them stayed because of distrust of the goverment, or fear of loosing their property.
    Why? because they knew that many people stayed to take advantage of the situation and profit.

of course, Im really cynical.
    As well as people shooting at each other and police officers, they're also now shooting at the people who have come to help, including those trying to get all those people in the dome out and military helicopters trying to survey damage and rescue survivors.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Indeed. Just read in the paper about rape gangs in New Orleans. :mad:
    Evacuation at a hospital is being prevent because of a sniper
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Frankly Im not suprised by all these Hijinks. Louisiana is the most corrupt state in the union, its goverment is throughly corrupt, and the feds have a hell of a time keeping it down. This corruption translates into incompetancy on behalf of the City and State governments, who ultimatly call the shots even during times like this.

Frankly the Feds need to walk in say "our house" and take control of the whole place.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Well, take basic infrastructure, supplies and law enforcement away from a people and see how long they stay civilized. Frankly, I'm not surprised all of this is happening. Not to say it isn't a god damned shame.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Evacuation at a hospital is being prevent because of a sniper [/B][/QUOTE]

You have got to be fucking kidding.
  • I'm watching the news right now. It's absolutely horriffic. Jesus f*cking christ...
  • I'm glad my family members got out of NO beforehand. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll have much to go back to between the wind, water and looters. It's going to be a mess for a very long time, a month before they get the toxic gumbo out of the streets and who knows how long until the water and power come back.
    It's going to affect the rest of us too in things other than gas prices, insurance companies will have to charge more, farmers are going to have trouble getting their crops/livestock out, a lot of internet traffic went through NO.

A blog of a guy trying to keep his system running in NO.
    [url]http://www.livejournal.com/~interdictor/[/url]

It's depressing, seeing all the destruction, whole towns in lower Miss. washed away, NO degrading into savagery.
    :(
    I hope as many as possible will rebuild, NO was such a fun town.
    I hope if they rebuild it they do it somewhere higher than sea level.

I'm still wondering why the national guard wasn't ready to go in in advance.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I hope if they rebuild it they do it somewhere higher than sea level.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I believe I heard thats exactly what is now being considered. Thats what happens when you build cities in swamplands and other places they don't belong.
  • From Fark:

[quote]First off I wanted to post what REALLY is going on in this city. Please don't get this thread locked people. The news stations are only showing a minuscule of reality. This post may offend some people but I will post what I saw, like it or not it is REALITY.

Well last night I was watching the 6pm news when they announced the 17th street canal pumps failed as well as another break in the levee. My house is right off St. Charles Ave. and up to 6pm yesterday is was the only part of the city that was dry. Since the pumps failed and the new break St. Charles Ave. would be under 9ft of water in the next 12-15hrs. My brother and I felt if we wanted to save anything we had to leave NOW. We loaded up flashlights, rope, our medical ID's, both our .45 Glocks, 2 shotguns and rode out. En-route we listened to the radio which broad casted all the news about the looters and what not, in hindsight it was a mistake. My mother didn't want us to go by dad who is a Vietnam vet told to be safe and "shoot to kill" if it ever comes to that.

One the way we had to pass 5-6 checkpoints to allow entry into the city. We stated we were medical personnel who were activated, showed our ID and off we went. On the radio reports were coming in about the officer who was shot in the head, the 2 gunman who opened fired on the NOPD station, and how looters were carjacking cars to get out of the city. This started making my brother nervous and giving seconds thoughts.

Anyway we get to the city and it looks like a freaking war zone. The best visual I can give is the movie "Blackhawk Down" when all the Somalians are rushing the city. They are people EVERYWHERE, they are pissed off, and all have weapons, 2X4's, Axes, and guns. If this wasn't bad enough we are 2 white boys in a truck in a sea several hundred armed pissed off blacks. There wasn't a white person to be found. I couldn't get over the little 8-10yr old kids with weapons, I ever saw one carry a claw hammer!

These people were absolutely nuts rammed trucks(stolen I'm sure) in to jewelry stores stealing items, they were tearing apart Wal-Mart carrying out TV's, Playstations, DVD players, etc. One lady was wheeling out an entire rack of merchandise, not sure what it was but sure wasn't clothes for food. They were all laughing and carrying on like it's freaking Christmas.

We got stuck in traffic when we see the group of guys walking down the street w/ AK-47's, at that point the "pucker factor" kicked in, a couple Glocks and shotguns were no match for that. We haul azz trying to get to Uptown when we see these people chopping down the front door w/ an axe of this $4-5 million dollar mansion on ST. Charles Ave. I was just in total awe because it was so surreal. Making matters worse it's 11pm at night there is no electricity and you really can see anything or anyone until they are right up on you.

Our plan was to be in and out in 30min, this included putting his Harley on the trailer. It would have taken me 5-10min tops to get my stuff, all I wanted was my pictures from college, my clothes/shoes, and my computer tower. Well he got scared saying we are going to get jumped while putting the bike on the trailer. Keep in mind this is the only area in the city that is dry. So just like rats who move to higher ground these people were doing the same. Word must have gotten out that Uptown was dry so there started to be a large influx of people.

Needless to say he wanted to go home rather than take our chances. While it was the smart thing to do I was beyond infuriated w/ him because we made it this far. He just kept saying our lives aren't worth it. So we turned around, our next challenge was getting out of the city while not getting jacked. Reports came out that people were jumping in the back of truck holding the drivers at gunpoint. Traffic started to slow so I just nailed it got out as fast as I could.

Even though he was the voice of reason I'm still pissed. All I have is my life and the clothes on my back. I lost my house(which is now 9ft underwater) ALL my clothes, TV, computer, furniture, and photo albums and videos from childhood and college. What makes this worse is my brother owned the house and I was a tenant and I didn't have renters insurance, hindsight is 20/20.

I also hope everyone of the farking looters get Tetanus, E-Coli and F*(KING drown. I'm serious I really hope the all die for what they were doing to the city, killing people, and destroying homes. Never in my life have I ever seen people act live savages, it was truly sicking.[/quote]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [B]You have got to be fucking kidding. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure that one is one of those unsubstantiated rumors that started flowing.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [B]I hope if they rebuild it they do it somewhere higher than sea level.

I'm still wondering why the national guard wasn't ready to go in in advance. [/B][/QUOTE]

Though not to make inappropriate for humor from the situation, but...wouldn't that make it New New Orleans?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]I'm pretty sure that one is one of those unsubstantiated rumors that started flowing. [/B][/QUOTE]

From CNN email alerts I'm signed up for

-- New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under
    sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says.

I'm just...... I've cried over the things that have been happening.......
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    sad indictment of US culture to a degree, all the 'have not's' rising up and ransacking the 'have's', this sort of anarchistic mentality isn't native to human beings, it's a result of the environment in which they are brought up in.

When civility is gone, all thats left is brutal survivalist and nihilist.

Just remember people, over 100,000 people died in the Asian Tsunami. The hardship, death and destruction was and still is, vastly larger than New Orleans. The hardship will be short lived and in some way repaired within the USA. The countries smashed up by the Tsunami will spend many many years recovering. Granted, New Orleans is a mess, yes there are scums of many shades in the flooded streets, but its a long way from the scale of that suffered elsewhere.

A 1000 media crews does not a disaster make.

Dont let the media convince you that the sky is falling.
    The sky is still falling, SB. It's just falling over a much smaller area, which I believe is the point you were trying to get across.
    The people in the regions hit by the Boxing Day tsunami were poorer than those in New Orleans before the tsunami, and have far less support to rebuild.

I found [url=http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372455,00.html]this[/url] to be an interesting read, although it sounds a little one-sided and biased so it may have left some facts out.
  • From what I've seen on the news and read on various media websites, some testimonies of what's going on inside the city are beyond belief.

[QUOTE]Tourist Debbie Durso of Washington, Michigan, said she asked a police officer for assistance and his response was: ''Go to hell - it's every man for himself.''[/QUOTE]

This account was particularly disturbing:

[QUOTE]At one point, up to 30 British students huddled among the thousands in the squalor were forced to set up a makeshift security cordon to fend off abusive locals.
    Zoe Smith, 21, from Hull, told how students set up a security cordon when the power briefly went down in the Superdome amid fears they were going to be attacked.

"All us girls sat in the middle while the boys sat on the outside, with chairs as protection,'' she told the newspaper. Marisa Haigh, 23, from Guildford, and Claire Watkins, 23, from Bradford, were in the Superdome when Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc.[/QUOTE]

If what Fark said is even partly correct, Sod the National Guard, the authorities should send in the Marines with bloody armoured support.