Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

I saw...

CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
A lightning strike twice in what seemed to be the same area. The first time the flash seemed to turn dark green. The second time it first turned dark green, then orange. Any of you storm-fanatics know what that could be?

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    THE ALIENS! THEY'RE INVADING!

There may have been some abnormal gasses in the air at the time to cause the colors, or perhaps some sediment was floating and got vaporized, producing the colors you saw. As for striking twice, it happens more often than the saying would imply. In fact, lightning is somewhat likely to strike in the same place twice.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Llort.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The colors are retina burn and after image shadow. It goes away after a bit.

The brightness of the lightning overwhelmes your rods and cones, and the brain interprets colors based upon that.

The same thing happened to those army guys used in the A bomb tests in the 50's.

;) :p
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]The colors are retina burn and after image shadow. It goes away after a bit.

The brightness of the lightning overwhelmes your rods and cones, and the brain interprets colors based upon that.

The same thing happened to those army guys used in the A bomb tests in the 50's.

;) :p [/B][/QUOTE]

Definitely wasn't bright enough to play tricks with my eyes, it was far away and the lightning itself was obscured by clouds.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Having seen a lightening strike from about 1/4 mile away, what I remember about it, in the moment after the bolt dissapated, there appear to be line of sparks in position of the bolt that very quickly faded away.

Jake
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Sorry.. It was my latent mutant powers starting to work. Was testing them a bit.

Wait a few weeks... I'm gonna blast one building sky high with one single concentrated lightning blast of enermous energies.

The Earth is starting to fight back against humans now.

Long live Homo Superior!

Flee while you still can!

:shadow1:
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Definitely wasn't bright enough to play tricks with my eyes, it was far away and the lightning itself was obscured by clouds. [/B][/QUOTE]At least if there's something between, like rain, hails (dust should work also) in air lightning can get different color casts.
    Could have been Copper and Iron oxides in the air that were burned by the bolt?
    [B]Could have been Copper and Iron oxides in the air that were burned by the bolt? [/B][/QUOTE]

See, that's what I was thinking (see above). It's quite possible that the act of burning took enough time for there to be a delay between the appearance of the colors, possibly due to variances in the temperature at which they individually combust.
  • Whatever it was its damn sexy at least it wasn't that OTHER dasdardly color!
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Yes, even Thor prefers green :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]Whatever it was its damn sexy at least it wasn't that OTHER dasdardly color! [/B][/QUOTE]

What?!?

J_A_N_E_W_A_Y Pink?

:p
  • I think it has to do with the air getting ionized with the electicity
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [B]What?!?

J_A_N_E_W_A_Y Pink?

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

AHHH he said it...stone him, stone him, stone him...

Jake
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Yes, even Thor prefers green :D [/B][/QUOTE]

No, this has been disproven. "I like the yellow ones."