Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Battlefield 2

CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
So, (once again, I think) who of you play it? I just got it for a good 300 pesos :D

Comments

• TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    I play, but mainly single player :( Stupid Dial Up...

About once every two weeks though I get to play it on a T1... niiiiiice :)
  • Haven't played it in a while, I got sick to death of having to perpetually uninstall the game and download new patches for it. The game works fine now, but I just don't have the will to play it. (That and my old gaming buddy up in Scotland who used to be my pilot can't get the game to work.) Besides that, Rome: Total War has been the sole game to sap my free time over the last year. (Barbarian Invasion and the Total Realism mod have ensured that it will continue to do so for a long time yet.)

Still, I really do miss, popping off chaps at long range with semi auto and blasting Cobras from the sky with the MEC chopper's 20mm cannon. Happy days... :D
  • I'd LIKE to get it, but my lowly PC can't handle it, and its too expensive to basically rebuild the majority of it, as it would need a new video card (At present a Geforce 4 Ti-4200), probably a new motherboard if PCI-E is the way to go, a new processor and probably new memory as well. :(
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B](That and my old gaming buddy up in Scotland who used to be my pilot can't get the game to work.) Besides that, Rome: Total War has been the sole game to sap my free time over the last year. (Barbarian Invasion and the Total Realism mod have ensured that it will continue to do so for a long time yet.)
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh Rome is completely sucking me in at the moment... So is Barbarian Invasion worth the 30 bucks? And Total Realism is worth a second install on the HDD?

Back on topic (sorry about the sidetrack), do you all think that Battlefield 2 is worth it? Im still getting my FPS fix playing NS :)
  • i kinda stopped playing weeks ago, it was all fun and stuff but i rarely had the chance to squad with people on teamspeak (which is essential to the game, especially if you're piloting a blackhawk). i should give it a try again now with the new patch (but im not sure if i want to get the expansion)

i much prefer planetside again these days :cool:
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    I played single player with a downloaded version for a while after it was released, got boring pretty fast. But the online experience is something completely different, it's serious addiction material :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]Ahh Rome is completely sucking me in at the moment... So is Barbarian Invasion worth the 30 bucks? And Total Realism is worth a second install on the HDD?

Back on topic (sorry about the sidetrack), do you all think that Battlefield 2 is worth it? Im still getting my FPS fix playing NS :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Barbarian invasion has been complained about by many for not being as expansive as Rome in certain aspects of the gameplay or in the number of factions and territories you get. Still, IMO, it's well worth it for the new Units you get. Plus, I didn't mind its apparent shortfalls, it still sucked me in. Playing as the Eastern Empire (latterly the Byzantines) was a fantastic experience. The three units that really made it for me were Plumbatarii (Legionnaires who throw large Iron darts which never seen to run out), Cataphractarii heavy cavalry, (the Easterners inherited them from the Seleucids) and Carriage Ballistae, which are basically Scorpions mounted on chariots. Their accuracy and rate of fire will decimate any unit in seconds.

On Total Realism, when it actually works, it's amazing.

Being a fan mod, bugs are its curse. For example, the game critically freezes when I tried playing as Rome in the latest 6.2 version, but I conquered the entire world as the remade Seleucids when I used 6.0 a few months back. That kept me glued to my PC for weeks. All the new units and ease of gameplay (no families, just you as Rome!) make it a must-have mod. In addition, you don't have to wait sodding ages to get all 3 Republican units, (Hastati, Principes and Triarii), you're able to recruit them straight off!

If I were you, I'd wait for Realism 7.0, which will be released (probably) in February. Another thing, 7.0 will use the Barbarian Invasion engine instead of Rome's, so to kill two birds with one stone, buy BA, and play that until R:TR is released. :)

On BF2, wait until it comes down in price. If you're honestly satisfied by a game you currently own, there's no need to be a new one. Pragmatism, my friend, pragmatism. ;)

Hope that answers your questions! :D
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Haha nice post Morden, I like the last line of advice (pragmatism indeed). And honestly, being in college has cut down on my gaming time so significantly it doesnt really matter. But over Christmas Im hoping to catch up. I probably will wait till version seven for RTR, and might pick up barbarian expansion after I play through the original a few times. They really got the tactical battles right for rome, Ive enjoyed them much more than the ones for medieval.
  • NP! :D

I'm actually having a grand old time playing as (mighty) Carthage on the newly-released R:TR version 6.3. I've had no freezes as of yet, and hopefully that'll be the same if I started a seperate campaign as the Romans again. (I have the perfect Roman "model army" I like to deploy.) ;)

I'll let you know how I get on, if I experience any bugs, it'd be best to wait for 7.0. On that note, the devs may expand Rome's transformation into the empire, R:TR only deals with the Republic and goes until 1 A.D. Details are sketchy atm. Still, 7.0 should be a stonker. :)