Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

France Bankrupt!?

TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
[url]http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8EG2F4G0.htm?campaign_id=apn_euro_up&chan=gb[/url]

their debt is about 1 trillion dollars, if you add in unsecured pensions your looking at over 2 trillion
dollars of debt, compared to US's 8.1 trillion... (without the social security debts its only about 6.9 trillion or so)

comparitivly its 200% of their annual GDP
where as the US debt is about 70% of its GDP..

Meaining, in relative terms, france is even more broke then the US?

This does firmly back up the a belief held by many americans, that no mater how incompentant our government is, the French government IS always worse! :eek:

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    oldie but a goodie

France only wins when America does all the [URL=http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html]fighting[/URL]
  • Yes the 3rd american to post..

It is amazing that a country the same size as some of our States has so much debt, If they do go bankrupt it will definitly effect us in a bad way.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Cheeper Wine?
  • Re: France Bankrupt!?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]their debt is about 1 trillion dollars, if you add in unsecured pensions your looking at over 2 trillion
    dollars of debt, compared to US's 8.1 trillion... (without the social security debts its only about 6.9 trillion or so) [/B][/QUOTE]

Not surprising, considering the EU subsidies their farmers get to keep their agricultural practises back in the 19th century. Their agrarian economy is a joke. If the government tries to reform it, the farmers bring out the combine harvesters and gridlock every road from Toulon to Calais. If any culture has a proud history of social unrest, it's the French.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Smells of the beginnings of the french revolution to me... government in way over its head in debt, and ignores/incapable of utilizing methods to pay down the debt. I know its an oversimplification (by alot) but still kinda comedic.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    200%? That's pretty impressive. Good job, France!

What Morden279 said is probably a very good point. France is land of the unions even more than the USA, and their farm subsidies are to the point of stupidity.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]Smells of the beginnings of the french revolution to me... government in way over its head in debt, and ignores/incapable of utilizing methods to pay down the debt. I know its an oversimplification (by alot) but still kinda comedic. [/B][/QUOTE]

You're not oversimplifying things at all mate. Cultural stereotypes exist for a reason, and the French, having a history of revolution and social upheaval, view mass protest and disruption as a legitimate aspect of the political process. It's a stark contrast to what us Brits have gone through in the last few hundred years. We've had a fairly stable evolution of authority since The Restoration. (1688 was almost completely bloodless as well.) Revolution's just not in our nature, old boy. ;)

Biggles is 100% correct on the unions as well.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Cheeper Wine? [/B][/QUOTE]

i prefer south african or new world personally....but i wouldnt complain!:D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]i prefer south african or new world personally....but i wouldnt complain!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh, a man who knows his stuff. I only drink wine from the southern hemasphere. (Chile, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) I find French reds quite bitter.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    i wouldnt say i know my stuff really, but i agree french is a bit too bitter. what with my usual budget these days, a bottle of wine is a once a month treat:rolleyes:
  • I mooch off my dad, he always has a few bottles in the rack. A bottle each Saturday after a hard day at work always hits the spot. ;)
    if my folks werent living near aberdeen, then i too could scrounge a couple of bottles of my dad. unfortunately 3hrs on the train just for a bottle of (knowing him, cheap) wine isnt worth it *sigh*
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    We just walk down to the local store and buy all the NZ wine we want. :D Plus we have a friend who spent some time working on a vineyard in Australia (Seven Hills, I think it was called) and he provided us with a few bottles.
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    Yeh I just walk down to the local pub for some good wine,never had any french stuff.
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    One Security Council member down 4 to go:)