Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Automotive Sexyness

SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
I just had to post these two news items for today. Probably only of interest to freejack, SB, and I...so yeah.

Let the oogling commence!

[url=http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12745]Return of Duesenberg![/url]

[url=http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/21/new-images-of-the-2006-dodge-challenger-concept/]Dodge Challenger "Spy" Shots[/url]

I'm in love. I imagine SB is, too. The Duesenberg's new engine just may do him in.

Comments

• ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    I saw the Challenger. Thoroughly unappealing to me, but I get the feeling few will feel this way. Personally, I find it far too retro, and virtually nothing at all has been done to update its aesthetic. I'm not a Mustang guy, but I could definitely appreciate the 05 Mustang (though there are things I feel could have been done a fair bit better). Felt about the same way about the Charger. But not the Challenger.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I think it's best treated like the Porsche 911. Don't fix it if it ain't broke...even if this one's been off the road for just about 35 years :p
    Yeah, but the 911 has been changed considerably over the last 35 years. The overall shape is distinctive, but the aesthetic is more streamlined and the details sharper and more modern. This is basically the same damn car. A lot of people are in love with it. Personally, I just think it's lazy, and the same distinct lack of aesthetic inspiration that plagues Dodge (though they are hardly alone in this).
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]Personally, I just think it's lazy, and the same distinct lack of aesthetic inspiration that plagues Dodge (though they are hardly alone in this). [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure, but I'd still love to own a 911 Carrera S :)
    Actually, my point was that the refinements to the 911 design, while not necessarily inspired or mind blowing, have been nice. Sure as hellw ouldn't throw one out of my garage. The Boxster, on the other hand...
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    You strange persons...

I would rather have this one for my ride:

[url]http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9190/sheki5rb.jpg[/url]
  • SquidgySquidgy Earthforce Officer
    Pish-tosh! Mere quad-wheeled scribblings. REAL men drive [url=http://www.carver-europe.com/]Carvers [/url].

Or would, if they had 50,000 euro, I mean.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squidgy [/i]
    [B]Pish-tosh! Mere quad-wheeled scribblings. REAL men drive [url=http://www.carver-europe.com/]Carvers [/url].

Or would, if they had 50,000 euro, I mean. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've liked those ever since I saw the reviews a couple of years ago.

but then there's this [url]http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/bugatti1.htm[/url]
    the bugatti veyron

:indycool:
    And holy moly, the Veyron may actually possibly see some form of measurable production this coming year. but probably not.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I like the looks of the Challenger, but I am more excited to see the resurection of the American pony car and RWD performance cars in general, really lead by Chrysler's access to the Benz parts bin. There are leaked pictures about of a revive Camaro also. Hell even Pontiac will have 2 rwd performance models now, the GTO and the Solstice.

Jake
    Well, the Pony War certainy has me fascinated, too. I can't wait to see whether or not asia will jump in. Rumor has it, there may be a V8 variant of the 350Z on the way priced to compete in that segment...

And toyota just may make the leap and get a V8 coupe out into the field, too. Hooo man, this'll be fun.

Also, seen the new solstice wagon concept? I'm liking it!
    I really like the Nomad concept that was based on the same zeta platform as the Solstice, kind of a RWD version of a Mini. Unfortunately the I think the HHR got the nod instead, and that car I haven't figured out yet. Seems like they are 5 years too late to the retro small car game...

Jake
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I want the new VW Golf R32! :P

[url]http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/r32/flash/[/url]

Looks like a 100% improvement over the rather flawed Mk4 R32. Now if only I had £24k spare..... :rolleyes:

Btw the Veyron is an amazing car! Supposed to drain its fuel tank in 15mins if taken to its top speed from 0.... insane!!! They tested it on Top Gear on the BBC a few weeks ago. Jeremy Clarkson rated it as probably the best car he will ever drive! I hope they consider production, not that I can afford one but because of the landmark VW have made in getting it built.

The Dodge looks interesting but it will probably be yet another massive engine muscle car with "0" efficiency.... i.e. a V8 engine producing around 425bhp. Will need to be better than that. I'm sorry but a 6.1lt engine producing 425bhp is lame. Give it to us Europeans and we'll get 600bhp no problem.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I like Dodge and dodge products, I really do. My wifes current car is a Nascar edition Intrepid with the 3.5L V6, big ass fat tires I have to special order from dodge to replace and absolutely awefull gas mileage. My truck is a stipped down 4 door dakota with the older 3.9L magnum V6. They ride nice, are comfy inside, but both get shitty gas mileage.

We have been shopping recently, trying to find something else, the car is paid off, the truck isnt (although Im not but 2k upside down on it). Because my vehicle is my service vehicle and hers is the family car, we are looking at switching platforms.

She wants an suv that can tow the boat, yet still be a comfortable ride, and I want a small car with super great gas mileage that I dont mind driving.

The catch is, we have to get hers first, because if we get rid of my truck, we have nothing to tow the boat. So far, top on her list is the VW Touareg. Its not bad, if not a bit pricey. Were saving up some cash to make the payments be somewhat reasonable. We have driven one, and I can honestly say Im impressed with it as well. Its not so overly bulky that it feels like your driving one of the huge SUV's yet it sits you up high enough, and its nice enough inside that you feel like your driving a nice car. In fact the only thing we could really find that turned us off to it was if you dont get the powered seats, there is a funky wheel to move the back of the seat. Kind of hard to use.

If she gets that though, then I get my toy car. Volvo s40. Its sporty enough that I dont mind driving it, and the 2.5 non turbo models get over 30mpg. I havent decided yet completely though, depending on the VW feels, I might look at one of those too. I originally thought about that Toyota Prius, but I dont think I want it, strange as it may sound, its almost too complicated to drive. They really should have put less thought into designing certain features like the gear shift mechanism. I know its all cool and shit, drive by wire, but I dont want to have to think about how to get the car to move, when I need it to move.
    If you are really interested in the S40, make sure you check out a Mazada 3 (also as the Focus), same basic chassis but definitely a few dollars less.

Jake
    the Mazda 3 is a fine car, but perhaps more inline with the S40's size-class is the 6. My family is days away from purchasing a Mazda 6i with the 2.3L I4. the 6s Gran Touring package (with the V6) is simply one of the most fun cars to drive (in and around its class), and also can be quite functional in hatchback form. It also means you don't have to worry too much about the N/A 2.5 in the S40. Maintenance is low and fun-factor is off the charts.

Hell, most of Mazda's lineup is a winner in its segment. the Mazda 3s is REALLY fun to toss around, and the Miata is as good as it ever was, though perhaps smaller than you may want. I suspect that by toy, you don't mean an actual toy ;) And now there's the Mazda 5, which feels quite a bit like the 6, but holds a lot more cargo and passengers. the Tribute doesn't exist and only tarnishes the lineup. :p
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Me? It'll take a re-release of the 'Cuda to make me spew in this thread ;)

-R.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    toy probably isnt the right word for it. I just have an overobsession with Volvo's, just like I do many other cars I really cant afford.

I have had the joy of actually driving a few vovlo's before, and Ive really gotta say Im incredibly impressed. There are things volvo does that ford doesnt though, I would never in good concious buy a focus. Yes I know they share some parts, but the volvo s40 is a superior vehicle to the focus by leaps and bounds.

Basically, if we do any of this, I just want a vehicle that I dont go "Gee, I shoulda gotten (insert something else) instead" because thats what Ive done pretty much every time I have bought a vehicle.

Even in my truck. I should have gotten the one with the V8 instead of the V6. The V8 is the newer engine with better specs and gets about the same mpg as the 6, dont know why I bought the 6 I just did. $500 difference.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Me? It'll take a re-release of the 'Cuda to make me spew in this thread ;)

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the Challenger will be a close as you can get, unless you can get Chrysler to revive the Plymouth line...

Jake
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]the Mazda 3 is a fine car, but perhaps more inline with the S40's size-class is the 6. My family is days away from purchasing a Mazda 6i with the 2.3L I4. the 6s Gran Touring package (with the V6) is simply one of the most fun cars to drive (in and around its class), and also can be quite functional in hatchback form. It also means you don't have to worry too much about the N/A 2.5 in the S40. Maintenance is low and fun-factor is off the charts.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Sanfam's right, if you do look at a Mazada, the 6 is the car to take a look at, plus there is the MazadaSpeed version, 2.3 Turbo, AWD, basicly WRX/EVO fighter without all the boy-racer looks.

My hope is the drivetrain package will find its way into the Fusion, which has to be the best looking car to come out of Ford in ages, save the GT.

Jake
    More important than that is the question of whether or not we'll ever see a fusion wagon or hatch. now that Ford is killing the Freestyle (another fine car lost due to poor marketing...though it'll return as the Mercury Meta One so it's not all bad), they'll have no more wagons left! If the 6 can do it, then so can the fusion. go CD3! ;)

Though...seen the V30? mmm...purdy...
    Here you go Sanfam, some newer shots of the Challenger:

[url]http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=9&article_id=3104[/url]

Jake
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I really dont like it. But thats me. I guess it tickles the nostalgic nerves on some though..
    And if you like the Challenger, the new Camaro should stir you a bit:

[url]http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index.php?showtopic=46131&hl=camero[/url]

Scroll down a ways, the two shots at the top are someones photoshop, the shots futher down appear to be leaks.

Jake
    That camaro's appearance is likely far out of date. It's a pair of design studies that showcased different tweaks of one of the then-confidential design mockups. It's quite likely that some traits will be shared by the soon-to-be-unveiled camaro, but most likely nothing too closely resembling that.

It probably will remain that size, though.
    Camaro. Bleach.

I want my 71 'cuda.

:)
    Actually the chassis shots are what I find most interesting, such as the lack of a lower A-arm on the front suspension, in favor of a single control-arm, trailing linkage arrangement and the tight integration of the IRS on the rear, indicating no chance for a live axle.

Jake
    Well, it was rumored for a long time that the camaro would drop the live axle and go with IRS, but the idea seemed to have come and gone with the announcement that chevrolet wanted to compete at the lowest possible price point, perhaps undercutting the mustang on every model. Assuming this is up to date enough, it's probable that GM dropped said configuration. of course, maybe they'll consider offering a variant of it under the pontiac lineup with Live Axle, as the chassis still may have the capacity to be reconfigured as such.

Of course, I'm also a live axle fan myself. ;)

Anyway, the front suspension looks suspiciously like the early days of Kappa's production development, given a bit more of a performance twist. It's more likely a Zeta or Zeta-lite chassis we're viewing, but that particular breed of chassis' future in the 'states is so unbelievably unclear... ("Zeta is dead. Long Live Zeta! Ha-ha! It's dead. Really. Yep. Dead. Gotchya! It's on again. No, It's off again! No, it's back! Well, we lied. It's cancelled. Wait! Kidding! It's really on. Or not! Ok, It's back, WITH FREE CANDY FOR ALL! We lied. But there's still candy! Oops, no candy either, but Zeta's back! Or is it?" -Bob Lutz on Zeta, 2003-2006)

What I still can't believe is how tightly GM has kept this secret. That mockup is one of the few leaked pieces from its entire development cycle...which may or may not have been started as far back as 1999.

Edit: Random interesting find...

GM to resurrect Chevrolet Sting Ray with 2008 model?

GM is reportedly prepping a third Kappa-platform sports car under the Chevrolet Sting Ray name, according to the February 2006 issue of Motor Trend. Its target? The BMW Z4 and Porsche Cayman. “Like the Corvette, the Sting Ray would transcend GMs old divisional order,” the article explains. If it gets the green light, the Sting Ray will be a well-equipped, high-spec model, priced “far above” the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. which are also built on the Kappa architecture. The car is expected to come with a choice of engines, including a new V6, and possibly the same I4 engine featured in the new Pontiac Solstice GXP, announced this past Sunday

[url]http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/02/gm-to-resurrect-chevrolet-sting-ray-with-2008-model/[/url]
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord Refa [/i]
    [B]You strange persons...I would rather have this one for my ride: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure, but at least I could probably afford to keep a 911 Carrera S :)
    Actually, if Refa rode that, he'd end up in jail....waaaaay too expensive :)

-R.