Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Hyperspace

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
came across [URL=http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/mg18925331.200]this[/URL] earlier. it makes for some interesting reading. it'd be cool if it actually worked!

Comments

• FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Glad you found that, I saw that copy of New Scientist at Barnes and Noble and didn't have time to pick it up. Great article!

What is interesting (besides the hyperdrive stuff), is that Heim just about captured the holy grail of physics but so few know about him.

Jake
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Finally, an article with some decent details.

[quote]settled for adding a new two-dimensional "sub-space" onto Einstein's four-dimensional space-time.[/quote]

Woo! Planespace!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yes. Interesting.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    3 hours to mars isnt bad is it? still not perfect for long range interstellar travel, but beggars cant be choosers
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Well...a few months or a year or two (depending on the distance) would be a lot better than the lifetimes required now.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It's not like people got from London to Auckland in 24 hours a century ago, either. If it works, then I don't expect the technology to stop improving there.
    Just the other night there was an interesting program on the Science channel about Einstien and the quest in his later years to link gravity and electromagnitism, or what he called "the Theory of Everything". Apparently he began to ignore much of the study that was coming out of quantum physics to attempt to complete this equation, but was never able to before his death in 1955. While the show made no reference to Heim, but it is facinating that at about the same time Heim successed where Einstein failed, linking gravity and electromagnitism.

Jake
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    last I checked gravity, EM, strong and weak hasn't been linked into a theory of everything.....
    No, noone has created the theory of everything, what I am saying is that it appears that it appears that Heim succeeded at doing something that Einstein spent many of his former years attempting.

From the New Scientist article:
    [quote]In Heim's six-dimensional world, the forces of gravity and electromagnetism are coupled together. Even in our familiar four-dimensional world, we can see a link between the two forces through the behaviour of fundamental particles such as the electron. An electron has both mass and charge. When an electron falls under the pull of gravity its moving electric charge creates a magnetic field. And if you use an electromagnetic field to accelerate an electron you move the gravitational field associated with its mass. But in the four dimensions we know, you cannot change the strength of gravity simply by cranking up the electromagnetic field.[/quote]

And given the accuracy of Heim calculations in predicting particle mass, it would seem he was on to something.

Jake