Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Halo for Vista only

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Seems dorksoft are [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm]making[/URL] Halo 2 Vist only. I've never played the game personally, and i dont think I'm likely to either, but thats not the point! Seems a bit unfair to me

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The idea that new games will require Vista doesn't really surprise me, and the fact that it's a highly popular MS game that comes first doesn't surprise me, but I am surprised that they're doing it this early. I would have thought it'd be a year after Vista comes out at least before they started making it a requirement. This will really cut off a lot of their market, I think. A certain other popular MS product that will be coming out after Vista won't require it (the next flight sim), and it's not as if Halo 2 actually needs anything Vista provides, given it's an XBox 1 game.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I'm half amazed that it's coming out for PC at all. I had thought they'd decided against it.
  • AAARRRGGH!!!!

I played H2 cooperatively once, great fun. Bad enough it was xbox only, now this??

*puts one more pin in bill gates voodoo doll*
  • *sigh*

Figures, Halo 2 was 50% of the reason I bought an Xbox.

The other half being Fable which *gasp*, now has a PC version too.
  • just like halo1.. by the time it gets out on the pc it's nothing new :rolleyes:

i think there's still going to be lot's of people that will upgrade to vista because of halo2 which is.. scary :alien:
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I saw that but does anyone care? This game is going to be like 3 generations old by the time Vista is out.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    well as far as im concerned its the principle of the thing. but as long as they dont do this for any games i like/want to play it doesnt really bother me. Im toying with the idea of buliding a second pc just to run old games:D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]well as far as im concerned its the principle of the thing. but as long as they dont do this for any games i like/want to play it doesnt really bother me. Im toying with the idea of buliding a second pc just to run old games:D [/B][/QUOTE]If you mean installing old operating systems you might want to try VirtualMachine software.
    "PC" inside PC is kinda good way to test things, just install other OS to its own sandbox

[url]http://www.vmware.com/products/[/url]

Also if you want to browse net really securely...
    [url]http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/browserapp.html[/url]
    If some virus or malware gets in, it can't damage your PC because it only sees inside of that sandbox.
    You've never tried playing games in a virtual PC, have you, E.T? While DOS games may handle it, "old" games that require even win98 are likely to choke.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Looks like half of the PCs running 2000/xp wont be able to run vista 3D anyways.

[url]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1925173,00.asp[/url]
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vorlons in my Head [/i]
    [B]I saw that but does anyone care? This game is going to be like 3 generations old by the time Vista is out. [/B][/QUOTE]

A game's age dosen't change wheater or not it is fun to play. While whether or not Halo 2 is a good game may be a point of contention, I personally thought it was awsome, and would be more than willing to play it seven or eight generations latter.

Heck, I still play the original X-COM and Wing Commander, and love them just as much as I did back in the day.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Looks like half of the PCs running 2000/xp wont be able to run vista 3D anyways.

[url]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1925173,00.asp[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know, it's getting to the point where I think even sub $100 parts support the features that aero's bells and whistles will require. Beta 1 ran on my 9800 just fine, and that's far from what i would call "enthusiest" performance now-a-days.
  • Bill Gates is like black mailing the gaming community. Buy Vista to play this. Who the hell does he think he is????? I am sure a crack will be made to play on Linux or xp.

Can't Microsoft figure out how to run H2 on XP. Arent they the OS people???? Somebody is going to hell for this. My too cents worth.
  • While I agree that the Vista requirement is crap, it makes sense as MS is probably trying to use H2 as the flagship game for WinFX, thier replacement for the win32 API. This would make WinFX a requirement in order to run anything that was written using it. And WinFX is only going to be a part of Vista.

They are talking about an upgrade that will make integrate WinFX into XP, but I haven't seen anything firm on that yet.
    A crack isn't likely to be made for it to run on Linux, since that's a vastly different OS.

As for it running on XP: it would, just fine, if they put [i]less[/i] work into porting it, since it's an xbox game and the directx you run on winxp is quite similar to the libraries used on the xbox. Moving it to use the vista libraries would actually be considerable work, which leads me to believe they'll just chuck a check in for the OS it's running on, or possibly statically link it with DX10.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    A 9800 is not the same as an intigrated chip like on my Dad's system. Those things are quite weak and, because of the design of the system, has no room to add a different gfx card.
    That won't stop it running Vista. It'll just not be able to run it with the high-end 3D interface. All computers like that will miss out on is a few minor features (like the rolex application switcher) and the best of the pretty.