Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Gillette and the Battle of the Razor Blades

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    also, regarding clogged razors...I simply flush mine regularly against one of the shower head's water streams. Admittedly, mine is rather high pressure, but even weak ones are usually enough to unclog them.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Not my shower head, its so low use it just trickles. That and I am on a well so the pressure isn't as high.
  • I shave when my boss says "shave your goddamned beard or you're fired."

I am a scruffy bastard.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm a postgrad. I think that pretty much says it all.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]I cant think of a bigger waste of time and resources than to constantly fight the chin fungus.[/B][/QUOTE]Abso-fragging-lutely!

Now if you could get away by doing it once in a week it would be different... (there were few such freaks in army)

But when it's "24h timer" so that day after shaving chin is again like rough sandpaper... I wonder which grows faster, hairs on top of head or in chin. (now also those on top of head grow annoying fast)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]I can't even grow proper facial hair :(

I guess I'm just too evolved :D [/B][/QUOTE]Now is that evolution or devolution?
    Devolution when looked from here with [url=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~tuunaes/temp/-31C_s.jpg]real winter[/url].

Beard warms chin very nicely, I'm thinking of letting whole thing just grow in some winter...
    Although I might need hedge clippers after that.
  • My facial hair grows thick and fast, a process which started around age 17. Henceforth, I decided to grow a "van dyke" beard (commonly referred to as a goatee) so that I wouldn't have to shave around my mouth. Saves a heck of a lot of time and looks cool, too. ;)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    What's the point of having a beard if you still have to trim and shave? I go for the natural look, whacking it back every few weeks to an inch.

Then again, I;m a monkey ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]My facial hair grows thick and fast, a process which started around age 17. Henceforth, I decided to grow a "van dyke" beard (commonly referred to as a goatee) so that I wouldn't have to shave around my mouth. Saves a heck of a lot of time and looks cool, too. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

That was my strategy until female influences directed me otherwise ;)

Though, I've been getting a lot of compliments on my appearance sans-beard, so I suspect it's an overall improvement. I just wish it didn't suck so much to shave.

I also should have realized today was going to be Valentines day and not shaved yesterday...now I feel like I've rubbed my face on mild sandpaper. (not stubble, but the pain associated with)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobo [/i]
    [B]What's the point of having a beard if you still have to trim and shave? I go for the natural look, whacking it back every few weeks to an inch.

Then again, I;m a monkey ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Because it looks great! If you don't believe me Dr. Zaius, take a look at a picture of me in all my glory!*

[url]http://www.wraithsquad.co.uk/ftp_wraith/Morden/DC01.jpg[/url]

*Drunk as a skunk on a pub crawl in Wolverhampton.

Safam, I have heard (from one of my good friends) that beards are a bit of a put-off to the fairer sex. Still, it's currently the lesser of two evils whilst I try to loose some weight... ;)
    Beards arnt sexy. Youw ant women, then keep it trimmed and not smothering your face!
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Just noticed this quote from the Onion article that was in the original post...

[QUOTE] Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it![/QUOTE]

I love the Onion! :D Sometimes I think they really DO put a perpendicular blade in there. ;)
    It would explain alot.
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    Guys, seriously, try a dual edge. The initial price is only slightly higher than a cartridge razor and they are enourmously cheaper over time. The shaves don't suck, and once you learn to use it properly, you shouldn't get irritation anymore.

If you just can't get enough of cartridhe razors and bad shaves, though, let me know, because I have some spare M3P cartridges that I will never use again.
    How is using one different from a shitty hand razor?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]Guys, seriously, try a dual edge. The initial price is only slightly higher than a cartridge razor and they are enourmously cheaper over time. The shaves don't suck, and once you learn to use it properly, you shouldn't get irritation anymore.[/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have stock in the company? ;) Just kidding, just kidding!
    And where does one learn how to use it properly? :-D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Space Ghost [/i]
    [B]Do you have stock in the company? ;) Just kidding, just kidding! [/B][/QUOTE]
    Unsolicited love, right here.

I used a Norelco because I had no idea how to shave (no dad to speak of, etc). Did that for four years before trying a Mach 3, but that was... unpleasant. And it never got much better, either. I still got ingrowns, and lots of razor burn was inevitable. It sort of helped that I grow facial hair rather slowly and only need to shave every 2-3 days, at most (yay half Asian heritage), as that was about as long as it always took to recover. Then a guy I met on a skincare forum sent me his old dual edge, and I never looked back.

It's different from a cartridge razor in that the blades are higher quality (assuming you buy good ones, anyway) and, more importantly, in that you have much more control over how you shave. You control the angle of the blade as well as the number of passes, instead of letting the cartridge do it for you (poorly).

I linked to Men Essentials because there is also [url=http://www.menessentials.com/community/]a community there[/url] that I am a member of, and there is a lot of advice available on the forums. Feel free to stop by.

Yes, it's a forum dedicated to men's skin care, clothing, and fitness. Why is everybody laughing?
    Not everybody is laughing. I'm sure Tyvar isn't. ;)

Controlling the angle sounds like a lot of work...
    It's not, really. You get a feel for it very quickly (though it took me longer than usual; shaving every 4-5 days or so doesn't give you a lot of practice, relatively). You basically get almost all the benefits of a straight razor (control, no irritation) without the risk or the ridiculously impractical upkeep or the creepy stares or the free ears.
    I just have visions of me slipping with a "real" razor and severing my jugular or something...

I think I'm just this side of stupid, so maybe the dual edge would be a little ambitious. ;)
    You can cut yourself a bit more easily with a DE, to be fair, but they are still safety razors (none of the risk that exists with a straight razor, but also no free ears :(). No cut you make with one will ever be more than skin deep, and because the blades are much higher quality than what you get on a cartridge, the cuts are cleaner, and they heal faster as a result. You will likely cut yourself a few times when you start using it, but you learn quickly that it rewards gentle patience.
    So I'm quite tempted to give one a try...

I am suffering from the worst case of razorburn right now. Ugh. It is truly awful, and all because I tried to shave too soon...

Stupid face :P
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]You can cut yourself a bit more easily with a DE, to be fair, but they are still safety razors (none of the risk that exists with a straight razor, but also no free ears :(). No cut you make with one will ever be more than skin deep, and because the blades are much higher quality than what you get on a cartridge, the cuts are cleaner, and they heal faster as a result. You will likely cut yourself a few times when you start using it, but you learn quickly that it rewards gentle patience. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, maybe I exaggerated just a little. ;) But I'm tempted to try it as well...
    Ditto. Where do I get one?
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    While I haven't used a safety razor myself, I've heard the Merkur razors from Germany are mighty nice (But I'm a bit partial since I drive a car of the same name).

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Merkur-Vision-Razor-Satin-Chrome-Mens-Shaving_W0QQitemZ5667338651QQcategoryZ31764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Jake
    BIAS!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    ok what is ingrown hair u speak of? I've never had razor burn either; at least I'm not aware of it.......define please!;)
    Don't make me come over there and slowly shave your head off with a crappy razor. :p If that doesn't give you a wonderful feeling of razor burn...then you're clearly a better man than I ;)
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Ok, my thoughts on the Gillete Fusion.

I decided to try one of them, because even though I use a Schick Quattro I'm not real pleased with its quality. I "should" shave at least every other day, but that ends up in razor burn and bumpage and cutting of my face.

I decided what better test of this magical 5 bladed thing than to shave on a day when I usually dont. So I shaved yesterday about 26 hours after my previous shave. Stuble was well formed, and thick, Id say 150 grain sand paper.

The head is extreemly flat. More so than the Schick, so the angle of the blade took some getting used to. Most razors you hold at a 45 degree angle to your face, this one is so flat you almost hold the razor parallel to your face. Once you find the angle of attack that best makes contact with your face, its very smooth.

Usually when I have to shave the day after I have shaved, I cut my face alot. The blade seems to drag and burn. Amazingly enough, not with this razor. Of course its got Gillets huge pad before the blades and a moisturizing strip after, it was a very comfortable shave.

I still cut my kneck a little bit, but nothing like I usually do on the day after. The quality of the shave was very good. My face was still smooth when I got home at 6pm. Smooth enough that my wife was impressed that evening still.

The 6th blade, that is located on the back, the "precision cutting blade" I cant seem to use properly. Im honestly not sure what its cutting angle is. It seems difficult and cumbersome to use. I tried to use to use to shave around my side burns but no such luck.

It is now the morning after I shaved with this razor. I am back to 150 grit sand paper so while it does shave smooth, it does little to create longer times between shaves. I am going to shave with it again today and see if I get similar results.

If I do, I might switch from the Schick over to this.

I did consider the single blade proffesional looking razor. But lets fact it, I would be the guy to cut my jugular trying to shave with that.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Beards arnt sexy. Youw ant women, then keep it trimmed and not smothering your face! [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, I think Swedish girls like beards. I havent met a girl who didnt think a beard was sexy..