Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

those crazy french

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
i never thought it'd be the french of all people to come up with [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4833010.stm]this[/URL].

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Vi vi la revolution!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I think the article is a bit off:

[quote]Said Apple: "iPod sales will likely increase as users freely load their iPods with "interoperable" music which cannot be adequately protected. Free movies for iPods should not be far behind in what will rapidly become a state-sponsored culture of piracy." [/quote]

I thought you could load most of the popular music and video formats into an iPod? It was my understanding that the iTunes music would only play in an iPod, but the iPod could play anything else.

Jake
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Go France!
  • Ditto!

However, no doubt Bono will have something to say about it... After all, struggling artists like him "have to make a living" somehow, after all... :rolleyes:
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    VIVA LA REVOLUTION INDEED

funny being i was just there...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]I think the article is a bit off:

I thought you could load most of the popular music and video formats into an iPod? It was my understanding that the iTunes music would only play in an iPod, but the iPod could play anything else.

Jake [/B][/QUOTE]

you can play mp3's and aac's (apple's version of wmv) only on an ipod as i recall. that was one of the main reasons i went for a creative zen when my ipod broke; all my 15gigs of music on my pc is mp3/wmv, which meant that i had to have the wmv's converted to aac format before i could play it, so instead of having 1 music library i had 2, taking up nearly 30gigs of memory:rolleyes:
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    My little MobiBlu MP3 Player does just fine for me...

:)

Apple hype and elitism if you ask me...

Which you didn't, but I'm bound to say it anyway... :p
  • If it passes I hope it spreads to the states. I lov ethe idea of the iTunes store, but hate the fact that to take my music, that I PAID for, I also MUST have a iPod, the most expensive mp3 players of the bunch.
    Half of my music is encoded in ogg, which the ipod wonderfully does not support
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    All of my music is encoded in FLAC, which my Creative Muvo Slim doesn't support. However, since I don't change the music on my mp3 player that often I don't mind converting songs to mp3 when I do. It's nice and easy to do with the right tool.
  • "Encoding"? What is this technical sorcery you speak of???
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]"Encoding"? What is this technical sorcery you speak of??? [/B][/QUOTE]

its similar to voodoo, but easier
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, mine is MP3, FLAC, and Ogg, but thanks to Foobar's transcoder, I can just click a button and have it automagically transcode the music to a copy somewhere else in a format that I can use.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    BTW, your Cato Institute keeps use limiting/content raping technologies as tool for circumventing and preventing competition...

[url]http://cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6025[/url]
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    The french are crazy, but in this case I support them.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Yay! Death to DRM!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morden279 [/i]
    [B]Ditto!

However, no doubt Bono will have something to say about it... After all, struggling artists like him "have to make a living" somehow, after all... :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I doubt he'll have much to say. In the early Napster days he commented he didn't care and think it made a difference to him anyway. Unless his attitude has changed I'd worry more about bands like Metallica who blame piracy for low sales of a terrible album :cool:
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vorlons in my Head [/i]
    [B]I doubt he'll have much to say. In the early Napster days he commented he didn't care and think it made a difference to him anyway. Unless his attitude has changed I'd worry more about bands like Metallica who blame piracy for low sales of a terrible album :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was using Bono as a facetious example. ;)

God, Metallica... How much have *they* gone downhill?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    France swings one way, Germany swings the other. Now in Germany if you download a movie or song you face up to 5 years in jail because "downloading should be treated no differently than stealing a pack of gum from a shop."
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]"downloading should be treated no differently than stealing a pack of gum from a shop." [/B][/QUOTE]

Do they sell packs of gum for £13.99 in Germany? That's how much the average album/DVD costs over here...
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Am I the only one without an mp3 player? I guess I still live in the dark ages, listening to the radio and cd's.
    I still lack one my self. My car doesn't even have a radio!
  • My car has a tape deck... thankfully I have a converter with which I can plug my MP3 player in. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]France swings one way, Germany swings the other. Now in Germany if you download a movie or song you face up to 5 years in jail because "downloading should be treated no differently than stealing a pack of gum from a shop." [/B][/QUOTE]

Clarification: This has been the same way around here (Germany) before. The new law just gives way to a broad usage by the record industry.
    (Btw.: You only go to jail if you [b]sell pirated music on a broad scale[/b]. Otherwise it is a rather steep fee: the normal market price of all music pirated and the court/lawyer expenses.)

--

I like the French for this, the current demonstrations against the increasing work force exploitation and their planned "cultural flatrate" (which would make sharing music on the net legal - for a fee of ~15 € (20$) / month).