Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Dr. Who

MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
Next ep..I CANNOT WAIT!!!

[Spoiler]
EXTERMINATE
[/Spoiler]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Spoiler: "So, how many old enemies do you reckon we can cram into the finale of Dr Who?" "Ohh... we got one in the last series finale, so let's go with two this time."
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Which season you talking about? I dare not look!

SPeaking of Dr Who, I was thinking about something.

Star Trek often sufferes from bad cases of Deus Ex Machina which bugs me to no end. Dr Who's plots are also very much driven by Deus Ex Machina devices, yet I love the series and am not annoyed by it (example: see Rose what she did at the end of the 1st season of the 9th Doc-Tor). I can not figure out why I have two different reactions to the same literary device. Do you guys feel the same or am Ijust whacko?

In other news I got the DVD set of the first doctor for my dad. We're watching the daleks now (they really were plungers!). Quite a contrast. It seems like these first eps were done live. I totally love them anyways.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    @ Mundane, yeah, can't wait until next week... fortunately we get torchwood in fall, and then the christmas special to bridge the time until series 3...

@croxis: The funny thing is, i thought the same yesterday after watching episode 12 of season 2.
    I think that has multiple reasons: Dr.Who often seems to be more about the characters, and you are much more involved with them. Also, the series doesn't take itself as serious as TNG. And since there are fewer episodes, you get less tired of it ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B] Spoiler: "So, how many old enemies do you reckon we can cram into the finale of Dr Who?" "Ohh... we got one in the last series finale, so let's go with two this time." [/B][/QUOTE]

Spoiler: I actually hat totally forgotten about the daleks beeing in the season finale, and almost expected the master to come out of the ball :)
    Spoiler: Worf and I are betting that the next series will end with [i]three[/i] old enemies: the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Master. :D
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    Dr. what?
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SPOILER]But what's gonna happen in Season 3? Without Billie Piper it won't be the same :mad: [/SPOILER]
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]Dr. what? [/B][/QUOTE]

Living under a rock we are? Doctor Who of course!
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I'm rather liking David Tennant, infact, I think I prefer him to the Christopher guy now....
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I think most people do.

Worf
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HuntSmacker [/i]
    [B][SPOILER]But what's gonna happen in Season 3? Without Billie Piper it won't be the same :mad: [/SPOILER] [/B][/QUOTE]

Spoiler: i'm thinking they might actually [i]regenerate[/i] Rose.

1) you have all the foreshadowing that she's gonna die from previous eps.
    2) Rose is doing the opening narration on Army of ghosts. Normally dead people don't talk any more
    3) There's what Jackie said to Rose: that if she contiues travelling with the Doctor, one day she won't be rose tyler anymore.
    4) We don't know what effects having the Time Vortex inside her really had. What the Doctor did in Parting of the ways seems awfully easy (just sicking it out of her with a kiss...).. there are bound to be some side-effects.

Or, they just kill her...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]I think most people do.

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]
    I love both equally for different reasons :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]I think most people do.

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

What? Ecclestone was PERFECT.
    That's what I originally thought. But I find I'm actually liking Tennant in the role more.
    What was the change for anyways? Did Ecclestone not want the part anymore or was it a plot thing?

If so they need to be careful -- there can only be 12 doctors!
    Eccleston apparently didn't want to get typecast.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HuntSmacker [/i]
    [B][SPOILER]But what's gonna happen in Season 3? Without Billie Piper it won't be the same :mad: [/SPOILER] [/B][/QUOTE]

Spoiler: I'm sure the very same comment has been made about every previous companion. Who, by the way, all lasted on average 2 or three series.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Eccleston apparently didn't want to get typecast.[/quote][/b]

That's what [i]you[/i] think.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLrmm8zfjvA]"Doctor 'oo? Doctor bloody 'oo?!"[/url]

And, as I understand it, there can be 13 Doctors. (12 regenerations, but the first Doctor didn't take one up with his birth (or equivalent thereof) so it's 12+1).
    I was going to post that... :P

Worf
    [URL=http://www0.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/07/05/33449.shtml]new companion[/URL]
    I'll look at that after I see saturdays episode.

Worf
    it doesn't say much, nothing i would consider a spoiler:
    Spoiler: basically it just states the name of the character, a bit about the actress, and that she won't be seen before next season (she won't be neither in the next episode, nor the christmas special
    "[B]This is not war, this is pest control[/B]"
    Grilliant!
    The Dalek/Cybermen exchange was just brilliant :)

There was a line like
    "Daleks have no sense of style" - "We can see that"..

all in all i think this was one of the best season enders i can think of...
    and the end... such a tear jerker...
    Yeah, quite good ending
    When does Stargate starts again? I only got The 4400 to watch now :(
    Watch Charlie Jade
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]When does Stargate starts again? I only got The 4400 to watch now :( [/B][/QUOTE]

This Friday