Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Take with a grain of salt... or 100 grains

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
[url]http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=37775[/url]

Hobbit Due In 2007?

Fan Web site TheOneRing.net posted a rumor that The Hobbit, the proposed prequel to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, is on New Line Cinema's schedule for 2007.

According to an e-mail sent by an anonymous source, the title was clearly listed on a schedule at New Line's offices in New York City. "I was in New Line's [New York] offices to discuss upcoming projects when I clearly saw something very intriguing on a year planner," the source told the site. "The Hobbit was clearly marked on what looked like July, 2007. I couldn't exactly take a moment to investigate the calendar with my audience in the room, but it definitely said The Hobbit."

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    That would mean that Sony/MGM and WB/NewLine managed to get a deal done...
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Bull.. but I do hope so.. and with Ian Mckellen as Gandalf and Ian Holm as Bilbo! :cool:
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord Refa [/i]
    [B]Bull.. but I do hope so.. and with Ian Mckellen as Gandalf and Ian Holm as Bilbo! :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Granted its been a few years, but Mckellan and Holm both said that there was no way in hell that Peter Jackson could do The Hobbit and have them not be interested in doing it.

That being said, i just saw something about Peter Jackson producing a war movie next. i just don't see him about to produce that and go work on The Hobbit at the same time for a 2007 release.

but, i figured i'd post the info anyway.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    It might be that the (pre)production will start in 2006. Since King Kong, i don't think PJ has announced any project he would write/direct, only produce. And producing can range from "i have about as much input as i had as a director, but i don't have to be on set everday" to "here, you can put my name on the project so it will be easier to get Studio support for it"...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]It might be that the (pre)production will start in 2006. Since King Kong, i don't think PJ has announced any project he would write/direct, only produce. And producing can range from "i have about as much input as i had as a director, but i don't have to be on set everday" to "here, you can put my name on the project so it will be easier to get Studio support for it"... [/B][/QUOTE]

hey, if thats what it is, then i'm all for it, i LOVE the Hobbit, possibly even more than LOTR, and i'd love a good movie of it.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I don't think there's any way it could be being released in the middle of next year and still be any good, as I'm sure we would have heard something about it by now if filming was taking place already. Be cool if Peter Jackson does make it, though.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    But would the have the [I]Necromancer[/I] in it...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I don't think there's any way it could be being released in the middle of next year and still be any good, as I'm sure we would have heard something about it by now if filming was taking place already. Be cool if Peter Jackson does make it, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

Especially cause i'm dying to see what WETA would do with Smaug..
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Well, 2007 doesn't mean release in 2007. It could me start production or announce it publically or just about anything :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Especially cause i'm dying to see what WETA would do with Smaug.. [/B][/QUOTE]

As compared with what LA does with SMOG...

:p
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]As compared with what LA does with SMOG...

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, i really should have seen that coming.
    And a bit of an update...

[url]http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16424[/url]
    Source: Variety September 10, 2006

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Woohoo!

Its been posted on theonering.net as well..
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Very cool, I look forward to it. Always liked the Hobbit- can't wait to see the final battle on the big screen.
    As much as i have always loved LOTR, The Hobbit was my favorite. So i hope that PJ does it, and does it well.