Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Thoughts on Voyager's series finale **** SPOILERS ****

samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
Ok, I just finished watching the Voyager finale, and it was a decent episode.

But there's one thing that bugs me...

They wimped out AGAIN!

The episode starts by establishing that certain crew members are dead or insane.

I thought...wow, that's different: a Star Trek series whose characters don't all have rosy futures.

And of course by the end of the show, everybody's OK.

Can't they for ONCE do something interesting with their characters? I can appreciate 7 of 9's emotional growth (but it smacks too much of Data's "journey") but just ONCE I'd like to see them write an interesting unfortunate end for a character (I don't count Kirk's death as unfortunate...and Tasha Yar's death was written into TNG series because the actress wanted out...just once I'd like them to grow some cojones and say, "hey, check this out...here's a likeable character that met a tragic end because we WANTED to WRITE it that way, and not because the actor wanted out of his/her contract!"

Other than that little gripe ( [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] ) I enjoyed the episode.

I am, however, intrigued by the new series. With Scott Bakula in it, it might be pretty good. Let's hope the writers learn to take chances.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-23-2001).]

Comments

• i thought they didn't have enough time to blew up this round warp thingie and go through at the same time, what were they thinking. i thought borg queen assimilated armor formula and wanted to detroy voyager. is it just me or when the voyager was in this hole thing as well as inside sphere it was WITHOUT armor. is it another trek crap-o-rama we're just supposed to blindly believe? trust me, watching this series surely kills more neurons than drinking battery fluid.

------------------
    Dar'Sol D'Ren
  • what the hell?!

ARE YOU ON CRACK?

that was a HORRIBLE episode, not decent at all!
  • As for the new series, I've heard that the primary antagonists may be the Romulans. If that is the case, you can expect:

Interstellar nuclear war (yes, nukes)
    No viewscreens or more than short-range communication
    Very basic tech
    OR, it won't maintain continuity with TOS, not that that is any different than the rest of star trek
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    began VERY good, but after the first hour....Bah.

Although I have AN AWSOME Idea for a render..
    one of those little fireworks in the begining....shooting RIGHT though Voyager. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] LMAO!!!!

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • i have to agree with my 6 tentacled centauri specimen [hehehe], that episode sucked, it was full of holes and inconsistencies; heck i am goinbg to watch b5 tapes all night just to flush my mental system from the bad experience
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    I wasn't that concerned about all of plot holes, as I'm not into Voyager that much...

I was mainly just hoping to see a daring story...oh well.
  • naturally they made it and all are happy, something that made my stomach turn; watch sleeping in light, now THAT'S an ending! a good drama effect, not some cheap cgi effects

------------------
    Dar'Sol D'Ren
  • i am watching this UPN voyager contest, and they didn't even pronounce dilithium correctly...sheeeeeesh [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
  • If I had the time, I'd explain the episode to those of you who obviously don't grasp the idea behind the more recent Trek, but suffice it to say that rarely is half the episode explained, and that's done on purpose. I followed it...
  • I'm just wondering when people around here are gonna start pointing fingers at other Science Fiction shows saying "Ahh! Voyager took this idea from that!"
    (I'd like to see someone tell me where the Starship armor idea was 'stolen' from)

Anyways... and yes, I'm one to say it was an excellent episode. Not everyday a starfleet captian chooses to change the future.
  • uhm.......thinking....thinking.....battletech! lamellor ferro-carbide, that's where they got their armor from!

actually have you seen galaxy quest? the armor thing was taken right from there: "Ugly crustation - raise neutron armor!" OK, i rest my case
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    BATMAN... THEY STOLE IT FROM BATMAN, DAMN THEM TO HELL !!!!

anyhoo, I thought it was at least a decent episode.
  • Failure BoyFailure Boy Earthforce Officer
    Yeah, but I think that's the whole point and problem - it was just a really long episode.
    I mean, 2 hours? Series finale? We expect at [i]least[/i] TV movie quality out of it... Especially for a series with that high a budget, and expectations.

For shame, Paramount, for shame.

------------------
    [i] I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold,
    We'd fire no guns, shed no tears...
    Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
    The last of Barret's privateers... [/i] - Barret's Privateers
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I'll give it this...they did an EXCELLENT job on the soundtrack.

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • milodmilod Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by A2597:
    [b]I'll give it this...they did an EXCELLENT job on the soundtrack.[/b][/quote]

Naah. I could still hear Kate Mulgrew's hectoring scratchy voice. Until I turned the TV off.

------------------
    --milo
    [url="http://members.home.net/milod"]http://members.home.net/milod[/url]
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Well, I think it was a decent episode. Sure, it could've been better, but it atleast wasn't a screw-up like DS9's finale was. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/mad.gif[/img] I was kinda hoping that they'd ram the sphere to save Earth. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]

Ohh, and before anyone here bitches about Voyager ripping off a jump point, I give you this screenshot:

[img]http://vertigo1-2.freeyellow.com/vgr_jumpgate.jpg[/img]

(clip courtesy of Jupiter)

------------------
    Anderson: Anything on the body?
    Guard: No Sir.
    Sheridan: So its a dead end..
    Dureena: Not necessarily. *takes knife and stabs the Drazi body*
    Dureena: Male drazi have a...skin pouch under their left armpit.
    Anderson: I didn't know drazi had a skin pouch.
    Sheridan: Technically, its not a skin pouch. Its their...reproductive area.
    Anderson: Ouch...hey lady! The only thing of value I have on me is my watch!

[This message has been edited by Vertigo1 (edited 05-24-2001).]
  • raZarraZar Trainee
    Yes, it was blah.. I have seen all the eps, and was hoping the end would have mad it all worth it but I guess not.
  • Even though I'm a Trekkie...

That seriously sucked. It was so underwhelming, emotionally and visually. I was next to tears for "All good things...", but this "Endgame" had me yawning.

------------------
    "God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    I didn't really enjoy it either. I mean I would have liked to have had another 1/2 hour in there. What happened to the Borg? Are they all dead? Are they crippled?
    How many times have we seen ******* make some big speach about Federation policy or how it's such a long journey, but when they finally get home it's just "Set a course for home"? What the hell is that? It was nothing near what is should have been, but I suppose all of Voyager has been like that.

------------------
    [url="http://slade__tek.tripod.com/"]Alec McClymont, 3D Artist[/url]
    3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

[This message has been edited by Slade (edited 05-24-2001).]
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Hey, why is "J a n e w a y" getting blocked out?

------------------
    [url="http://slade__tek.tripod.com/"]Alec McClymont, 3D Artist[/url]
    3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b]Ok, I just finished watching the Voyager finale, and it was a decent episode.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-23-2001).][/b][/quote]

IT was typical voyager, Good Beginning, Decent Middle, Terrible Ending, And i was a little annoyed by the fact that they did the time travel thing again (All Good Things...) And also, have you noticed that in all UPN's specials, and commercials for Enterprise, they never once mention DS9, They Mention Voyager, and Next Gen, and TOS, Also in all the inteviews with former cast members about who their fav Trek characters are, No DS9 Actors. Their "VOte for the best captain" No Sisko.. whassup with that?

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • Just my impression, but I don't hold high hopes for the new series. I write screenplays in my spare time, and thought to myself, "You know, I have this great idea that I can turn into a spec script."

I called Paramount, and talked to Maggie in the script department (after being transferred like 5 times), and here is what happened:
    Maggie: Star Trek scripts.

Me: How are you doing today, ma'am?

Maggie: Fine, thank you.

Me: I'm a screenwriter, and would like to submit a spec script for ST:Enterprise. Do you happen to have a series bible that I can look at to get a feel for the series and characters as well as a paramount television release form?

Maggie: Sorry, we're not accepting spec scripts, so there's no bible available.

Me: Oh, that's too bad, may I ask why?

Maggie: The spec script idea was too expensive. We're accepting pitches by invitation only.

Me: Oh well, thanks, for your time.

Maggie: Thanks for calling. Hope you watch the show. [click]

End of call.
  • [quote]Originally posted by Slade:
    [b]I didn't really enjoy it either. I mean I would have liked to have had another 1/2 hour in there. What happened to the Borg? Are they all dead? Are they crippled?
    How many times have we seen ******* make some big speach about Federation policy or how it's such a long journey, but when they finally get home it's just "Set a course for home"? What the hell is that? It was nothing near what is should have been, but I suppose all of Voyager has been like that.

[/b][/quote]

I agree with you 100% another 1/2 hour would have done wonders. And wtf is up with them not showing any emotion when they finally get home? I propose thta we start a petition that states that Voyager gets removed from st canon period.

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan
  • TheKnave: What's a spec script and what does accepting scripts "by invitation only" mean?

------------------
    [b]Commander[/b] socrates
    flightleader, [i]Erinyes[/i]
    The Gray Hand of Fate
    AnlaShok Blackops

"Do [b]NOT[/b] interfere."
  • MWAHAHAHAHA my *******(j-ane-way) legacy lives on!

i didnt think it was toooo bad but it coulda been a lot better...and what happened to the 7 ep story arc? other than neelix doin his thing?
  • LennierLennier Ranger
    That episode makes the borg look like complete idiots. Ok, so voyager killed 3 cubes but they got the armor down to 50% very quickly. What were the other 40something cubes doing. If even just 10 attacked at once Voyager would have been deader than Mr. Morden.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The Voyager finale was sad. No, I'm not talking about it being emotionally strong. Even when taken to minimize criticism and nitpicking, I have to say the finale just plain sucked. I'm sorry, but if they cannot hold continuity for a whole five minutes, what can they do? My biggest issues were the Spontaneous generation of armor, the Pain-in-the-ass Neo*******, and the poor scripting. Whoever wrote the episode did a truly poor job, with boring, redundant dialogue, along with a horrible overuse of technobabble in the worst sense.
  • [quote]Originally posted by socrates:
    [b]TheKnave: What's a spec script and what does accepting scripts "by invitation only" mean?

[/b][/quote]

Socrates,

A spec script is one that you write without getting paid for unless they decide to buy it. As opposed to writing on commission where you are hired specifically to write a script.

Pitch by invitation only, I assume means that they are only accepting ideas from staff writers, or by freelance writers known to the producers.

Sanfam,

Did you see the list of writers on the credits? There were something like 8 or 10. Writing by committee (not to be confused with collaboration) does not generally lend itself to powerful vision. There may be exceptions, but they are few and far between.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The word ******* gets blocked because of a big old rucus that got started months ago involving *******. So that word was appearantly added to the blocking list for the server...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • TheKnave: In your opinion, what effect would this have on the quality of writing for the new ST series? Might it be possible that they have some kind of story arc in mind and so therefore they are not keen on accepting spec scripts?

------------------
    [b]Commander[/b] socrates
    flightleader, [i]Erinyes[/i]
    The Gray Hand of Fate
    AnlaShok Blackops

"Do [b]NOT[/b] interfere."