Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

More news from JMS about the DVDs, TMOS and a new series of B5 novels

No Thread

Okay, let's try this again. Best to break the ice by just sort of doing a
round-up of what's going on and what's coming and suchlike.

I'll try to address some of the questions that have come up about what's coming
up.

On the movies DVDs, and what's inside: the main thing is that we've got
commentaries on literally every one of them. Mike Vejar and I did a commentary
on In the Beginning, I did one with John Iacovelli on The Gathering, and
another with Janet Greek and Tracy Scoggins on River of Souls. I can't
remember now if I solo'd on A Call to Arms or if Mike was there as well (it all
blurs after a while...I've done something like fifteen of these things by now).

There's a separate cast commentary on Thirdspace with, I think, Pat, Jeff,
Jesus Trevino, and one or two others.

On the Crusade DVDs, there's one commentary I did on the original pilot (once
WB and I came to a meeting of minds, to wit, "I'm gonna say what happened to
the show, what *really* happened...you got a problem with that?"). There's a
second commentary track with Fiona, Janet, Peter Woodward and Carrie Dobro.

(We interrupt this message with a coded message for our friends in England and
Australia: keep your eyes on the horizon.)

One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what
TMoS was, and I provided a list of things it *wasn't*. The aforementioned
oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.

Also, expect word fairly soon-ish about a new series of B5 novels.

Elsewhere on the prose front...Straczynski Unplugged is out now, and
Tribulations will be coming out in December.

I've turned in all three final Rising Stars scripts, and the first issue of the
last arc comes out in October, I hear.

Next week a new arc and a new artist starts on Amazing Spider-Man, and it's a
stinking cool issue. You can read a preview of the whole issue for free at:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/spidey509/

On other projects...I'm making sudden progress with the medieval play I've been
twiddling with for the last few years, and may have it done in the next couple
of months. Once that happens, my plan is to do a limited, small production for
two weeks or so here in LA, just to see how the text works with an audience,
then take it away for another few months, twiddle with it some more, then go
for a larger venue. I may do something similar in London, since I may be
spending a bit amount of time there fairly soon.

And for those who've asked, I won't be in attendence at San Diego Comic Con
this year due to a variety of commitments.

Oh...and I've been offered an EP position on a network series, and while I
don't usually do that on shows I don't create or develop, when I heard what
this project was, I had to get on board. We still have to negotiate a deal,
and work out how that will interface with the stuff that'll be going on later
in the year, but fortunately the start date for the series should work out, at
least at this point.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [i]One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what
    oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.[/i]

Hmmm :)
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B][i]One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what
    oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.[/i]

Hmmm :) [/B][/QUOTE]

[quote]
    We interrupt this message with a coded message for our friends in England and
    Australia: keep your eyes on the horizon

I may do something similar in London, since I may be
    spending a bit amount of time there fairly soon.
    [/quote]

Hmmmmmmmm :) :)
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I'll add another "hmmmmmm" to that aswell...

Interesting...

So Babylon 5 The Musical still has a chance?????? :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Isn't Horizon some sort of production/publishing company?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I think if he meant a company, he would have spelled it with a capital H.

so, what can we deduct of this message: TMoS is gonna start shooting in the next few Months in England (we remember the deal with a production company, then there is the part about spending some time in London, he plans on having the medieval play allready finished by then - also, this could prevent him from going to SDCC (as the only two times he wasn't there were when he was down with a heavy flu, and when he was hipdeep in jeremiah in canada))

Also, it seems probably that there might be a "spin-off" TV show or maybe radio drama from TMoS.

The TV Series he's gonna EP: Now there were rumors of him taking over Enterprise, but i think the "I heard what
    this project was, I had to get on board" part just doesn't seem to point in that direction. I'm more thinking about Fiona Avery's "No Honor" TV Series (if that's still in development). (we remember, he was on "Walker, Texas Ranger" for half a season to help a friend, when he wasn't enthusiastic about the show. Here he could help a friend, and it should be fun for him too.)
    [SIZE=1](There's one other series i could think of that might get this response from him, but i don't think it's his kind of show, so i keep it out for now)[/SIZE]
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    id like it if he did take over principle writing on Enterprise. I know its not going to happen, but just imagine. A good writer with all that back story to play around with.
    If he took over Enterprise it would certainly breath new life into the series. But would Braga and Berman go along with this? I kinda doubt i but then if they want the franchise to ever lead to a big screen movie they're gonna have to do something. Still think its doubtful really.

If TMoS is gonna shoot in England maybe they need some extras! ;)
    There were rumors that B&B would be fired...

but i do think that if jms would be hired, and if B&B would have been fired, we would have heard bynow...
  • owiggowigg Trainee
    Gaaaaah! If the movie or part therof was being produced here it would most likely be at Movie World (Warner Bros Australia).

/me wonders if they need any extras:D

On the other hand he could just be talking about PAL format DVD's which seem to be taking thier sweet time in coming out, Season 4 will be available in august!
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    any news on Battlestar Galactica? who is going to write it? my two cents...
    Ronald D. Moore is exec producing galactica.
    They're currently shooting episode 5 or 6...
    And i'm not sure, but SciFi is no network, is it?
    ah..oki
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think the Australia and England horizon thing most likely a reference to the PAL format movies box set.
  • I might be over thinking this waaaay too much but there is a TV Documentary series in the UK called Horizon, maybe he's done something on that........ probably not but I thought I'd mention it anyway
    A bit of idle speculation here on the England/Australia thing.
    While I'm still convinced this is about the DVDs (maybe that we won't get screwed with the movie box set), here's what it could have meant if it was somewhere else in the post:

It could be that it isn't some kind of cryptic message in the sense to look at a website or documentation or something. Now if TMoS is going to be shot in the UK, that would mean that he would spend a bit of time there, and so the fans could look out for [i]him[/i]. As for Australia (2 points here, before i continue: a)please don't shoot me; b) I'm aware that this makes it sound even more improbable... as i said, this is just one big brainfart), it could mean pretty much the same, that he's gonna spend some time down there. Why? Hm.. well, Some time ago, at the SDCC i think, he and some guys from Weta met and they wanted to do something together. Maybe he's down there because he'll be involved in the post-production in NZ, and as that's not to far away from Australia...

as i said, BRAINFART...
    You can now move on, there's nothing here to see, please move on.
    LATEST NEWS: JMS is working on the Farscape project.

*dreaming*
    I doubt he'll be involved with Farscape. Last I heard they'd confirmed a mini series run to tie up the whole story.

Weta Digital and JMS???? Oh my God if its true that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was making a film I'd want them on board, esp for the effects. Wishfull thinking really but I'm sure itspossible.

Well if the man himself is gonne be in the UK we'll have to meet him (well those of us that live here anyway). Maybe we can get Worf to do another interview?? ;)
    Farscape doesn't really need JMS anyway :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Weta Digital and JMS???? Oh my God if its true that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was making a film I'd want them on board, esp for the effects. Wishfull thinking really but I'm sure itspossible.[/B][/QUOTE]
    [quote] [i][url=http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16636&query=weta]Originally posted by jms[/url][/i]
    [B]>This hectic schedule you were on was why I felt bad about pestering you
    >to visit the WETA guys. I knew they wanted to meet you, and I knew they
    >were also very busy, but Daniel found the time to go to one of your
    >panels. It was so funny to see how excited he was when you finally did
    >turn up at the booth, and the fact that he brought his Gathering/In the
    >Beginning DVD all the way from New Zealand made me realize that even
    >though the WETA guys helped make a brilliant movie, they are just as
    >much fan geeks as the rest of us.

Thanks for doing it, though. They'd really like to find something we can do
    together, and I'm in the same boat, it'd be great to work on something, so
    we'll see what we shall see. It'd be cool, since we're both lovers of sagas,
    to see what we could come up with when we combine resources.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
    (all message content (c) 2002 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
    permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
    and don't send me story ideas)[/B][/quote]
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]If he took over Enterprise it would certainly breath new life into the series. But would Braga and Berman go along with this? I kinda doubt i but then if they want the franchise to ever lead to a big screen movie they're gonna have to do something. Still think its doubtful really. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, Berman and Braga seem to have finally started to realize their time with Star Trek is nearing it's end. They're stepping back from the day-to-day running of the show, letting writer Manny Coto take over. Coto, you may or may not know, wrote the episodes [url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/ENT/detail/3203.html]Similitude[/url], [url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/ENT/detail/3394.html]Chosen Realm[/url], and [url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/ENT/detail/4704.html]The Council[/url], and did the teleplay for [url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/ENT/detail/3852.html]Harbringer[/url] and [url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/ENT/detail/4186.html]Azati Prime[/url].

All of which boils down to the fact that, while it's possible JMS might be brought on the Enterprise team, it is not terribly likely.
    RE... wow I missed that one. Thats very very cool to know. Well it kinda makes sense, if you want a big budget production you need a team that know what their doing, and Weta have certainly proved themselves. Wow just the thought of the possibilities of such a team up.... :eek: :p :cool:

DM... I haven't seen any of season 3 yet. S2 did slowly pick up a bit, were some good eps but the old formula still chokes it. Even if JMS doesn't get involved, they really need to breath new life into Enterprise. It had the chance to start something fresh and new, and they still can... with Braga and Berman out of the picture.
    S3 was actually quite decent, though they still had the odd "Star Trek" episodes.. (Believers was just plain unnecessary(sp?))
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    My hope is that enterprise will fall so low that the B's just let go of it, tossing it *completely* into the hands of someone else. The show has so much untapped promise, and all that is stopping anything good from hapenning would happen to be TPTB
    While we're on the subject of Enterprise, apparently [url=http://www.trektoday.com/news/160604_05.shtml]Braga is jazzed about the show moving to Fridays[/url].

Key quote: " 'Right now we're up against American Idol for God sakes!' Braga said. 'You might as well not air the episodes!' "

You know, the man has a point. And I ain't talking about the one he uses on Jeri Ryan. *Rimshot*
    So that's his excuse for the poor ratings?
    If by "excuse", you mean "alibi", yes. ;)
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. :D
    Enterprise S3 was really good, for being Star Trek.

Btw, anyone seen the two lasts episodes of Andromeda (4x21,4x22)...some great effects...
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    I thought that S3 of Enterprise was so-so... like the series as a whole - it had more potential.

I only saw part one and half of part two of the Andromeda season finale... or was it a series finale. Andromeda reminds me of what TNT wanted Crusade to be, half Sci-Fi half WWF Smackdown.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Re: Brannon Braga: Someone needs to put this guy out of my misery.

Now, Manny Coto I don't mind; Odyssey 5 was great. But the timing is terrible. Enterprise already has too great a reputation for throwing continuity to the wind, and I'd rather see it stop entirely than continue in any form, because if it does well from this point on, that only serves to validate everything that was done wrong beforehand.