Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Save the B5 cast!!! They need us all now!

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imhotep [/i]
    [B]
    As for CE his point that JMS is saying nothing does hold some weight. We have all seen JMS make very clear his take on rumors in the past. He is very passionate and outspoken about things he cares about. If this were untrue (I was skeptical at first.I am still a little, but moving toward belief) then I think he would stomp out the fire right away.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

This is exactly why i'm taking the opposite side, Because JMS has made it very clear in the past his take, He's always found a way to drop hints, or cautious little clues as to whats going on, even when he "Can't say anything official"
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by colonyearth [/i]
    [B]Thank you, Biggles, for the kindness. Unfortunately, my opinion of firstones.com has already been lowered, sadly.

Please read my thoughts in the other thread...I am not accustomed to being treated by fellow fans as some problem starter or fraud. I've been around for a while, and Jan since the beginning. I am frankly offended...and surprised by such a reaction without investigation of what others are saying or doing. Write or don't...I have other people to reach and more work to do. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't know for certain what was happening. I, frankly, have other responsibilities, including my own film, calling.

I'm done here, I will go where I can still make a difference now.

CE:( [/B][/QUOTE]

See, This doesn't help matters, You are offended because people don't believe you without a shred of actual proof?

Why should we believe you, You come in here, without any of us knowing you, tell us what you know is true, and just expect us to believe it, and then when we don't believe every word you say, you say that you have a low opinion of us, that you are offended, and that you are done here and will go elsewhere.

That says a lot.

Just because we don't jump into the fire as it were and believe every word you say, Does not mean that we don't believe that you could be right, just that we require more proof than someone that we don't know with "inside contacts"

I've got plenty of inside contacts, in several industries, who have given me inside information that they swear is accurate, and guess what, 9 times out of 10, its either wholly innacurate, or missunderstood, so i'm skeptical about your information, or any "inside" information that doesn't come from a named source.

Look what happened to Dan Rather and his "Inside source" who swore that the information was correct, What happened there?

a few members of the board may have been a bit over zealous in their comments to you, some of us like me, have been openly skeptical about your information and the way you chose to present it, But in the end, we are all on the same side, and your storming off in a huff doesn't do any good, People belittiling you doesn't do any good, so lets try and find a common ground eh.

Didn't B5 teach us that people with differences can all get along in the end, with a few minor wars, a revolution and a plague or 2 along the way?

I hope you'll reconsider leaving.
  • I actually did take the time to read the first several pages of the thread you pointed to CE. It wasn't until page six that someone actually said that they heard it was the TV actors being recast. And tehn that person turned out to be in the Music industry, not the film/TV. They may be realated more than i know, but we already pretty much have confirmed that Galen, who was a TV actor, is being recast, unfourtunate yes, but apparently unavoidable.

Everything else I have seen is something along the lines of Main cast being re-cast for the MOVIE. To me it sounds more like they are recasting the people who were going to play the main characters in the film, and it really sounds like the cast from the show are not going to be big in the movie. Pat Tallman's statement even fits into this. She said they weren't using the original cast yes, and that WB would favor 20 something beautiful people, but that does not mean recasting of old parts.

I acknowledge the possibility yes, but I do not feel that the main cast in the movie is the original characters from the show, so when they say they are re-casting the main characters, that to me says that they are re-casting the new main characters for the film. JMS's objection may be more due to the fact that he does not seem to be big on using Big name actors because people already see them a certain way. Steven Speilburg for a long time felt the same way, perfering to use little known actors/actresses that his characters may be more unique.

I can see that on JMSnews.net you are a respected member of the comunity, and I respect that. I am willing to belive what you say(I never understimate the stupidity of hman kind). But nothing I have heard makes me think they are replacing people like BRuce and Mira. I think they are more likely just replacing the people they had originally cast in the film's main roles. I am sorry to hear that you are getting a bad opinion about us here at firstones. Stick around after this thing is over, for good or bad, and you might see that we actually do care about B5 and even things JMS related in general just as much as you guys do. I know I'm going to be lurking on JMSnews.net to see if i want to sign up there.
  • I have given you my credentials and the credentials of those others who have both broken and confirmed this. I have linked to the main threads where it broke. I have told you all that DarkHorizons has actually reported this problem. I have deduced from the obvious lack of cast mentioned in any releases and from the lack of JMS' responses. I have asked you to go and talk to others about my integrity, my heart, where I am known. In fact, I've encouraged you to test my words elsewhere. I've given you the background of myself and those others who've both broken and confirmed this. I've told you all that most fans have come to believe and support the news, since they've looked across the information and come to the conclusion that it's true (partly because so many of them know Jan, Amy, and myself). I've tried to beg and reason with you all. I've tried to clarify as much as I can...and I've tried to illustrate how positive reinforcement from fans can only serve to help the cast and the film and could never harm it. Voicing one's opinions and hopes to WB and TPTB will only serve to reinforce fan support not only of the film, but of the original cast as well.

This site is truly the only main B5 site that is not only dismissing this news but that is outright refusing to join in the fight or even research the feelings of fans around the world.

I've tried kindness, I've told you all that I completely understand your reticence to believe me and to please go out and verify it yourselves. Yet you've repeatedly taken leaked news at face value (leaked news in this business is planted and for a reason).

I've told you I deeply wish I could reveal my source and that I would never do anything to jeopardize or harm JMS or B5...and that I really don't have the time or energy to give to this but I am because I believe it's worthwhile to try to save the cast.

I've tried to appeal to your better angels...and I've been attacked for doing so.

I am sorry that we have gotten off on such bad footing. But believe me when I say, this is a problem. If I could tell you more about my particular source...I would.

This is confirmed through multiple sources (not all me) and from various places, so the confirmations aren't all coming from the same person or office.

I deeply hope that you will all join in this fight that is pulling B5 fans together everywhere like nothing I've seen since your fight to save the game or Tim's fight to save CRUSADE.

We're all banding together...we would like for you to join us. Please.

CE
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [B]This site is truly the only main B5 site that is not only dismissing this news but that is outright refusing to join in the fight or even research the feelings of fans around the world.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think we need to clear something up that has been bugging me about all your posts. :) "This site" has not dismissed the news, "this site" has not outright refused to join in the fight. "This site" is not a single entity with a single mind. It is made up of a large number of individuals with free will of their own. If you go back and read the threads about this topic here you will find that the people who outright don't believe (as opposed to believe or are unsure) are in the minority. As I said earlier, this is their choice. Just because you haven't convinced all of us, that doesn't mean you haven't convinced some of us. Please try to stop acting like we're all disbelievers or traitors or something just because a few don't believe you.
    [B]
    This site is truly the only main B5 site that is not only dismissing this news but that is outright refusing to join in the fight or even research the feelings of fans around the world.

CE [/B][/QUOTE]

Who said we're refusing to join the fight?

and its kinda ballsy of you to say that we are the only fans that are dismissing the news, as i've read on many other forums people who who don't believe you,

as for "all the sources" they all seem to trace back to the same place, You and Jan, If one person reports something, and then 30 other people repeat that report, its still only one source, not 31.

You seem to be taking our skeptisicm as a refusal to help B5 & JMS, nothing could be farther from the truth,

Honestly, the way you are handling yourself here is one of the reasons people here are not believing you, You make it seem that just because we don't believe your source, that we don't care about B5. or the cast.

I've tried explaining to you why i personally feel the way i do and you just keep responding with "well i'm known and respected other places" thats not a reason,

looks like you can't convince us that you are 100% right, and we can't convince you that our skeptism doesn't mean that we're all against you.

I'd like to keep in touch with you, and if your infomation pans out, believe me, you will recieve a full and lengthy apology. but like some here, i've just been burned too many times by rumors and sources to just jump in whole hog without any real evidence.
  • Hi, all. I'm new to this forum, but not to B5 fandom. Since I'm one of those with industry contacts who has helped to spread this information, I thought I should pop in here and add my two cents... :)

First off, to the doubters: unfortunately, all of this noise about recasting the roles from the series is [B]not[/B] bullshit. I've personally verified the information with my own industry sources, and while those of you here may not know me, I'm pretty active on the moderated Usenet newsgroup (the one that JMS himself posts to).

Imhotep, I'll take your points one at a time:

[QUOTE]I wouldn't want to see anything like this happen to the cast, but with out some confirmation from JMS, this is hard to take a face value.[/QUOTE]

JMS would not be able to confirm the truth of this. He's in the middle of sensitive, _private_ contract negotiations. If, however, it were NOT true, there would be nothing stopping him from coming out and saying so. What's notable is that he has been posting on the moderated newsgroup this week - so he's obviously there, and reading messages - but hasn't said a word about this. If it were untrue, all he'd have to do is say "Guys, this is nonsense - please stop this effort." That hasn't happened.

[QUOTE]In fact starting a campaign like this if it turned out to be false or a hoax would only hurt TMoS! Also making all B5 fans look like whacko people with no respect.[/QUOTE]

If you've ever worked in any facet of the entertainment industry, you'd know the old saw "There's no such thing as bad publicity." It's true. So there is [B]nothing[/B] about this letter-writing campaign that could harm the reputation of B5, its fans, or JMS.

[QUOTE]I think though that if JMS feels he needs the support of the fan base, he'd find a creative avenue to get the word out without breaking NDA.[/QUOTE]

JackN, please see what I said above about JMS's silence. He cannot verify this; but the _lack_ of verification is noteworthy.

[QUOTE]Besides, non of us really know the story, and who is to be in it? We could be getting all hot under the collar over nothing.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is not true. Casting breakdowns have been sent out for Delenn, Sheridan, and Lochley. This, IMHO, is something worth getting hot under the collar about. If they can recast Sheridan and Delenn (!!!), what's to keep them from recasting - gods forbid - G'Kar or Londo? Ugh!

[QUOTE]While i respect what you are trying to do, Untill there is official confirmation from JMS, or the studio i'm afraid it cannot be "confirmed fact"[/QUOTE]

Entil'Zha, when was the last time you heard about a studio's casting negotiations for a film before the cast was hired, and set in stone? If you wait for an "official confirmation," it will be too late. JMS cannot confim this leak - he's in contract negotations right now, apparently at a very sensitive stage of the process - and the studio has _already_ told us something. This leak has come from them. Along with the information that they don't expect anyone to complain about the recasting. They are [B]looking[/B] for no reaction from the fans, and when they get _no reaction_, they'll put whomever they want in the film.

[B]Don't wait for "official" confirmation. By then it will be TOO LATE. Send those letters![/B]

[QUOTE] Maybe I recalled wrong, but I am just thinking the more we push the more reluctant WB's postion will be on this. But hey you guys wanna do a petition I know everyone will sign it. [/QUOTE]

Psi-Killer, no studio would EVER be upset to see rabid interest in one of their properties. They don't care if we make more work for the mailroom; every one of those letters translates into _sales_. They are _happy_ to see them come in; don't doubt it! As for petitions, don't bother: it's far too easy to fake names and entries on online petitions. A letter that someone took the time to post with an actual stamp makes MUCH more of an impact.

[QUOTE]Now there is hoopla over cast changes out of the blue. How can that be possible when so much time has been spent going over contracts and such? Before JMS had too meet his first dead line wasn't it known what actors where playing what?[/QUOTE]

Psi-Killer, this is completely wrong! The first thing that happens when a film is greenlighted is that production stuff is dealt with, and crew and production staff are contracted (director, etc.). Then effects houses, costumer, composer, etc. etc. The cast are _last_ on board. JMS was writing drafts long before casting was even mentioned! So, this is NOT out of the blue, by Hollywood standards.

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any of this. JMS is a smart man, so if something this major was going on he'd find a way to get the word out (ie: very subtle wording, like the way he announced TMoS being a theatrical release). Until I see some ACTUAL confirmation, such as an official statement from JMS, the cast, or WB, I'm not doing squat. All I've seen is nothing more than rumor. Where is your supporting evidence to back up your claim?a[/QUOTE]

Vertigo1, JMS cannot say anything now. He's in the midst of contract negotiations with WB, and the whole process is gagged. As I mentioned above, the fact that he is NOT denying this, or telling us to stop, or saying that it's nonsense, when messages are going by _right under his nose_ on the moderated newsgroup, has got to tell you something. By saying nothing, he is saying _volumes_.

As for evidence, several fans who are industry-connected in some way (myself included) have cashed in mega-favors with people on the inside, and we have confirmed that the information is solid. Obviously, you don't know me, so I guess I can't blame you if you don't believe me. I just hope that we're reaching _some_ people here, who are reading, and who are willing to spend a few minutes and 37 cents to support this property we all love so much.

[QUOTE]Going after WB like a bunch of ravenous wolves will do nothing more than piss off WB and possibly hurt out chances of EVER getting anything B5 related ever again. They've been good to us so far, so why so little faith in WB?[/QUOTE]

I'm always curious how people come to this conclusion. Attention being paid to a property - and income being spent on it - are the only ways a studio can know that there is an interest! Please, folks, if this is keeping you from sending a letter, don't believe it! We will NOT make the studio mad, or deter them from doing other B5 projects, by writing. This can only _help_ B5, if your letter is intelligently written and positive.

[QUOTE]We need proof.[/QUOTE]

Well Worf, you ain't gonna get any proof until it's too late. Wouldn't you rather spend 37 cents (more if you're overseas), and a few minutes of your time, on the off-chance that even one or two of us are telling the truth? If this WAS a huge attempt to punk the fanbase, it wouldn't be coming from people who have been in B5 fandom for a long time, and who are well known therein. It would be coming from _strangers_.

Okay, probably every other post I reply to will have the same caveats, so I'll just end by saying: you CAN'T get proof from JMS on this, because he CAN'T break confidentiality at this point. But if you look at the logic of the situation, you'll agree that the fact that he HASN'T said anything to dispel this information _absolutely_ means something.

And, the logic that writing letters to WB somehow hurts the cause is also faulty. If the WB gets thousands of letters (and any studio knows that only "x" amount of people are assertive enough to write; so that "x" amount of letters usually translates to roughly x times 1000 fans/customers/viewers), they'll be falling all over themselves to give us B5 product!

Don't kid yourselves: if there's even the remotest possibility that any one of us who are posting this stuff all over the internet is telling the truth, isn't it worth a few minutes and a few cents for you to help support this property we all love so much?

Thanks,

Amy
  • I am another newbie here, but have been a member of the JMSnews.com forums for a while. I'm sorry to see that a rift seems to be developing between our communities. In the spirit of trying to help heal that rift I come here and humbly ask that you consider this post.

I thanks those First Ones that went to the JMSNews forum to show their side of the controversy, including links to threads here.

That alone is a good outcome of this campaign: we now have more links and interaction between the B5 communities.

I won't take sides, I respect Colony Earth and believe him, and I respect those that disagree with him, I think those that have said they'll apologize if CE were to be right are to be commended for that. But I'll say that I think that people on both sides have generalized taken things too personally and that shouldn't be the case.

We all love B5 and I'm sure all of us would want B5:TMoS to be a success.

I see some misunderstandings. The campaign that many of us have been advocating is not one to complain to WB, it is a campaign to thank them for making TMoS and express our appreciation for the show and the cast. To let them know how much we identify Sheridan with Boxleitner, Delenn Mir with Mira Furlan, Peter Woodward with Galen (even if that might be a lost battle), Gary Cole with Mathew Gideon, etc. It is to let WB know that we would love to see the original cast return to their roles and express, very politely, a concern that they might be recast. If you look at some example letters they might even mention that we get our concerns from rumors and that we'd want to know those rumors were false whenever the project is officially announced. I have gone on record in other forums asking people to refrain from mentioning a boycott due to recasting, and many others have also urged people to avoid making any threats.

I agree with those that think that we don't want to look like a rabid mob of fanboy/fangirl types. But I think we can easily express our love for B5, our admiration for JMS and the original cast of B5 and Crusade without looking bad.

I ask you to consider the following, we lose nothing by sending a letter:

If the rumors are false writing a polite letter supporting the movie and the original cast will only reinforce WB's decision to go ahead.

If the rumors are true we will still have shown the support for TMoS and may have helped WB to reconsider keeping the series actors for their roles (if they are in the script).

This helps the movie by showing interest and support from the existing fanbase.

Other objections/questions surrounding this say that this might be just a pre-marketing campaign by WB, I don't think that is the case, but even if it was I would be proud of sending a letter and creating a buzz for TMoS.
    Babylon 5 is not as well known as ST or SW, if we fans help to create a buzz we pave the way for the movie to become a reality and may help open the door to other future B5 projects.

There's nothing to lose with the campaign we suggest, and if we don't act we might lose the chance to see Sheridan, Delenn, Lochley, Londo, G'Kar or others played by the actors that defined those characters.

It is up to everyone to decide to write a letter or not.
    I sincerely believe that a whole lot of polite letters will help the cause of B5:TMoS but I understand that many fans won't write one for their own personal reasons and I respect that. I hope that enough fans write a letter to have a positive effect.

Whatever happens I already see something good from all of this as I said before: the B5 fan communities are interacting more.
    Let's hope this interaction continues and once the movie becomes a reality it becomes a colaboration to help make it a success.

Thanks for your attention.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Very good post Capt Montoya... On a side note welcome to the forums.

I dont think its unreasonable to send a letter in support of the original cast, I cant see it having any harm. Even if it is rumor and speculation, a sucessful campaign or *supportive* letters (in regards to the cast) could be a huge help (even if they arent reconsidering recasting, it can show them the strength of the B5 community). As long as the letters arent accusatory and "HOW DARE YOU!?" then I think it could do us a great service.
  • E-mailed. Should I call in a favor with a good family friend (Owner of a large ABC affiliate) to complain about this idiocy on my behalf?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The truth points to itself...

;)
  • Thank you all and I am humbled this day.

Thank you Capt. and Amy for such great posts.

I do apologize for those who have believed or even wanted to believe here that I made a generalization about FirstOnes.com. My ire was up for so many reasons not relating even to this site or B5, but in general...and I took that out on those here. My most profious apologies. And my gratitude to those of you who joined over at JMSNews and spoke to me there. You are indeed peacemakers.

I was hurt and upset by the attacks against me as I plead for help in this cause, stating that just writing a letter of support would only serve to help B5, never hurt it.

I have been one of the staunchest advocates across the web for keeping this campaign positive. Telling people to use examples of successful TV shows that kept their cast on the big screen and did very well (ST, X-Files), and other SF films like SW that didn't use big names and still changed Hollywood.

Show support, don't threaten.

There is nothing we do that can harm TMoS. In fact, I'm someone who believes that the film will go ahead no matter what. I deeply hope that our efforts are successful and that TMoS goes forward with our beloved cast.

My source has indicated to me (and like Amy it's an industry insider I simply cannot name, though I wish I could if it would help in you believing me) that if we pushed, WB and the financiers will most likely back off and allow our cast to remain.

In fact, I just posted at JMSNews that I can understand the concern that the backers have and why they want to feel as if they're minimizing any potential loss.

What we have to do is let them know that there is no way to loose with this if only they'll trust JMS, trust the cast and trust us, the fans. This film is as close to a sure thing, IMO, as a film can be.

Again, I am sorry for and and all miscommunication and anger between us. I hope this will, indeed, usher in a new era of support and cooperation between all of the many B5 sites around the world.

Hell, that alone makes this campaign worth while.:)

Peace to all,
    CE
    CE:

You really have to have been here on this forum through the years to appreciate our cynicism (SP?).

We really are like a group of firstones, which take a lot to get up off our butts and say ZOG! when we need too... :D

We've been burned so many times by a cycle of hope and failure, that the meer mention of effort to campaign makes us cringe... ;)

On another note, I had hoped for something more in the story for TMoS. So far it sounds like an elaborate TV episode.

I guess we'll see when it is done... :(
    CE: Thanks for that post. Now come join the crazy fun in the Zocalo v2. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]CE: Thanks for that post. Now come join the crazy fun in the Zocalo v2. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Zog
    Five+ years of hope and crushed dreams kinda makes us wary... But, Faith Manages.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well JMS has posted saying he can't comment on the cast thing. So as far as I'm concerned there's nothing more to be done at the moment. He knows ther B5 community has gotten wind of the story and knows how we'd react. So we need to sit tight. And we're pretty good at doing that here.
    [QUOTE]I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not
    able to do so.

jms[/QUOTE]

Sounds like its a bad situation, IMHO....
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Well JMS has posted saying he can't comment on the cast thing. So as far as I'm concerned there's nothing more to be done at the moment. He knows ther B5 community has gotten wind of the story and knows how we'd react. So we need to sit tight. And we're pretty good at doing that here. [/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed, JMS has posted and said he couldn't comment at the moment.
    To me, this sounds like an indirect confirmation. Because, if it all was bullshit, we would call it by name.

ZOG.
    (Oh, and remember: Letters on paper, emails won't do enough)
  • :rolleyes:

Well acording to JMS it definitly sounds like there will be a movie at least.
  • Thank you all once more for your welcome. While it has been rocky and rough at times...I now feel strangely, and very much a part of this community.:)

Yes, as you have seen, during my busy schedule with work, JMS pulled a Vorlonesque moment and confirmed this problem without actually saying anything as he is prone to do.

I am certain it was a bold move for him to say anything at all, since he's in negotiations right now to save this cast and even a "non-confirming" post could weaken his position if it gets back to the suits.

In short, it was bold of him.

Yes, letters, not emails will make the most difference.

One fan at JMSNews told us though that their email was responded to and that WB stated they would forward it to the correct person. This is a slip from them. This means that someone there has accidentally told us that there is a person or department that people at WB know should get TMoS emails.

Snail mail is better, but emails in addition can't hurt.

I will be in and out over the Holidays. But I'm still here if anyone needs any info.

Remember, no matter how many times we have to fight for B5 or for what we believe in, win or loose, we have stood up and been counted. And in the end, that's what matters most.

As B5 taught us:
    [quote]
    “It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us.
    It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?”

[/quote]

Peace,

CE:)
  • Hello. :) :: waves ::
    Sorry for disturbing (I usually lurk elsewhere).
    For what it's worth... here is my approach.

1) I cannot confirm if (and how seriously) Warner is planning to shoot themselves in their foot. Too many kilometers from here to California (around 10'000).

2) I *would* expect JMS to shoot down unreasonable rumours. When instead of that, he "cannot tell anything"... in my book, there is cause for concern.

3) I would consider it unfair (and inefficient) to recast people who originally built "Babylon 5". That would reliably cause me to ignore (or pirate) TMoS. I feel obligated to inform Warner (as politely as possible) of my attitude beforehand. Therefore I have sent them:

[QUOTE]Dear Sir or Madam,

First of all, please permit me to apologize.
    I could be wasting both of our valuable time, with nothing more but a rumour.

However, via people better informed than myself, I have received two interesting news items -- both unconfirmed, one quite delightful, another potentially disappointing.

Positive news for me was hearing of a new "Babylon 5" movie being prepared for production. /---/ I can only commend J.M.Straczinsky for writing another part to his story and Warner for supporting its publication. I appreciate and respect your venture.

However, even best ventures can fail -- and the second news I received suggests this new story... is currently under risk of failure. My source mentioned that Warner is considering whether to recast old "Babylon 5" roles with new actors.

I feel obligated to recommend against that. /---/ In addition to diminishing consistency and quality... employing new actors in original B5 roles... would be perceived as unfair to the original actors (who have invested notable time to the success of this show). Many fans of B5, myself likewise... have notable loyalty towards their favourite actors. We would be very disappointed by someone less wonderful attempting to substitute for them.

Therefore, despite inability to confirm whether such a choice is actually being considered... I feel I should strongly advise even against the *possibility* of recasting of existing roles.

Yours sincerely, [/QUOTE]
    Nothing is a good reason to pirate TMoS. Nothing.
  • I personally... cannot exclude the possibility. Should the worst come to happen, and *notable doubt* arise about its quality... I cannot exclude wanting to evaluate it for free.

To decide whether I *should* reward Warner by acquiring a ticket or DVD (as I have done with all of B5, to compensate its makers, and Warner for publishing their work).

Admittedly, one *could* argue that pirating would be the wrong course for such evaluation -- and I should instead read a review by someone I trust to have similar taste.

You could be right... but "nothing" is a pretty wide statement. I am not equally certain.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    If you haven't seen it yet, JMS is NOT saying anything on this issue. This makes one who understands JMS statements think that something might really be going on.

--RC
    I'm suprised that JMS went to all the trouble he did in the second one there...

:p
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imhotep [/i]
    You say you want to try it out? Then rent the DVD. Also by pirating a B5 content you are taking money out of JMS's pocket. Is that what you really want to do?[/QUOTE]
    Not certain about that. Not considering piracy a terribly bad thing in *all* imaginable situations (merely numerous of them)... I am somewhat in-between.

For example, I previously used to quite carelessly pirate Microsoft software... until I realized that by pirating, I was contributing to their undeserved success. Now, for all personal purposes, and increasingly many work-related... I simply use Linux. Far better to entirely distance myself from anything MS. So in this case, I would consider piracy quite sub-optimal. If one likes *neither* the author nor publisher (or they are the same), I think one should not pirate. Just avoid.

For another, somewhat contrary example... until now, I have acquired all of my B5 DVD disks via official channels. I know their content to be excellent, respect their authors and (currently still, somewhat) publisher too. So, if one likes both the author and publisher, I think one should not pirate, but acquire a licensed copy.

However, should I face the dilemma of respecting *only some* parties involved in the process... I am not sure how I should choose.

Still, your advise may have convinced me that I should prefer the simpler approach... namely if the movie seems poor, I should confirm its quality via a credible review (and if the review is not positive, skip entirely).

Compared to downloading a copy, and evaluating first-hand to make an identical decision... it shouldn't make much difference. But it certainly requires less hassle, and is better from the viewpoint of adhering to customs and social agreements.

Renting would be unfeasible. Firstly because local DVD rentals rarely obtain less widespread titles... and secondly because by renting something, one is already putting money into the pocket of its publisher. (Which, in case the publisher spoils a movie... is something to avoid.)
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    [B]Snail mail is better, but emails in addition can't hurt.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

CE, it would be nice to let us know where to send emails and snail mail.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    If TMOS will be like Legends of the Rangers, then I'lll probably download it from somewhere if I'm able. Not because if it sucked or anything, but because LotR hasn't air in Finland yet...and probably never will. Also, only DVD box I own is the Babylon 5 movie box because it's been the only one released in Finland. Stupid WB won't release the season DVDs in finland because they say there isn't a big enough demand for them in Finland to make a profit, so that pritty much pisses me off enough to pirat the whole series (but I won't :)). Then there's the whole thing about ordering DVDs from like amazon.dk and similar places, but then you need a credit card or paypal account, but I'm unable to get both.

I'll probably end up buying the DVD boxes from some company like " Filmifriikki" who imports movies from abroad.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imhotep [/i]
    [B]For his opinion on this subject read these posts from JMS himself which he just recently commented on this very subject...

From JMSNEWS.COM
    [url]http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17251[/url]

[url]http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17256[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

I only disagree with JMS on one part of this, the downloading of TV Programs that were available on Free networks.

his argument that if you download it, you didn't watch it, and if you didn't watch it, then the ratings will be less and the artists wont get paid, Doesn't hold water. Downloading a free TV program that you may have missed, is no different than Tivo/video taping it,

and the reason i say that his argument doesn't hold, as the Ratings people have no idea wether you watched it, or taped it, or didn't watch it, the ratings are Wholly made up by a handful of people who have Neilson Boxes in their homes.

There are many times where i've watched one show, Tivo'd another, and had a 3rd thing that i wanted to watch, but without a 3rd tv, couldn't do it, i've got no problem with downloading it, as in all FACT, my actually having my TV tuned to that channel, while it was on, had ZERO effect on ratings,

Downloading Movies, or Pay movies is a totally different beast. so don't think i'm trying to justify movie piracy. I'm talking only about Free broadcast television.