Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

YouTube going south?

FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
All this and more in [url=http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6166668.html]ZDNet News[/url]:

[quote]Viacom on Tuesday slapped YouTube and parent company Google with a lawsuit, accusing the wildly popular video-sharing site of "massive intentional copyright infringement" and seeking more than $1 billion in damages.

The complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, contends that nearly 160,000 unauthorized clips of Viacom's entertainment programming have been available on YouTube and that these clips have been viewed more than 1.5 billion times.

Viacom, an entertainment giant that owns Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks and a number of cable channels, said it has also asked the court for an injunction to halt the alleged copyright infringement.[/quote]

As much I like looking hilarious, small video clips about a manic hamster doing a whopping 360 degrees flip-flop on his running wheel, since returning to the [i]Wonders of Internet(TM)[/i] I've been shocked by how openly YouTube provides a stepping stone for distributing copyrighted material and I've been wondering how long it will remain running.

Is this a bye-bye?

Comments

• HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    It's wartime.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Viacom is just jealous they couldn't get that kind of vieweship on their own
  • The Cabl3 GuyThe Cabl3 Guy Elite Ranger
    Lets burn em!
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I think I just had a Napster flashback. ;)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I can live without YT but I sure as hell will miss it. It's great for music videos that you can hardly ever find anywhere else.
  • yeah I spend time on Youtube watching live performances of bands I like, knowing that I probably will never see them on my own accord.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I really like how I've finally been able to see some of those Green Jello videos. I love Anarchy in Bedrock!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said 1000 times before but...

As much as I can respect Viacom's intent to protect it's IP, just like in the case of music, attempting to stop this sort of sharing is like using bubble gum to stop a dam from leaking. Companies need to figure out how to embrace tools like YouTube rather than fight them. I think NBC has done a reasonable job of this.

Understanding that YouTube is not the end all and be all of video media, given it's low quality and inability to download file, then use the site to your own advantage.

Jake
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [url]http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6487[/url]
    Google fired back and looks like that lawsuit is on shaky grounds, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.