Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Squee!!!

sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
So my birthday money from Mom didn't go to waste, guess what I found!? At Best Buy, all five seasons of our beloved Babylon 5 were on sale for $19.99 a season!!! :D

*is now the proud owner of all five seasons of Babylon 5* :shadow1:

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    For the europeans among us, play.com has them for £14.99
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I wish I had my copy of B5 here. :(
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Good find Satai Callista, I should have looked in my own store. Guess I know where my Christmas money is going. :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    If anybody else can find this, it's an excellent deal. For those of you interested and in the US, most other retail stores offer [B]price matching[/B] on these sorts of items. Callie, post up the location of the store you got it from for the reference of others. All you need to do is give the manager/cashier the information of the store with the details (or a printout of the price as purchased, check online) and they'll match it. If there is any trouble, have them call and confirm. I wonder if Crusade was cheap too. I need to fill in the one remaining gap.

[B]Edit:[/B] For anyone interested, [URL="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=4QY1QTCWHH4WXKC4D3FFAGA?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=Babylon+5&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960"]B5 is $19.99 a season online at Best Buy.com[/URL]. I don't have a referral account, but that's a damned good deal any way it is put. Crusade and the movies, however, are still full retail price. I'm suspecting this is a clearance move.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I'm surprised there are still people posting on this board who don't have the entire series on DVD yet.

Unbelievable... that's like going to an Elvis impersonator convention, butt naked. :D

I'm still on the fence about Crusade though, I don't think it should be a requirement.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Its disgraceful isnt it Stingray! Next time there's a meet-up, anyone present without all the DVDs must suffer a pint-penalty! :D
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I didn't want to be too harsh, otherwise I'll get reprimanded again for coming on too close. :D
    [QUOTE=Stingray;168434]I'm surprised there are still people posting on this board who don't have the entire series on DVD yet.[/QUOTE]

I had them...
  • [quote=stingray]I'm surprised there are still people posting on this board who don't have the entire series on DVD yet.[/quote]

We rented them when I introduced my wife to the series, and we've been patiently holding out for a nice R1 boxed set like Germany and the UK got...
    RedAss: 3 words: Multi-region player

:D :p
  • I know, I looked into that a few months ago and chatted with some folks on here about it, but the whole PAL thing kinda worried me.
    Given the current price, I don't think it's worth waiting for a greater box set. This is a superb offering of convenience. For practically the price of a single Trek season at MSRP (cheaper, actually) you can have the entire show! :P
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Hell, for the price of a season of [i]Babylon 5[/i] at MSRP, you can have the entire show!

Don't we all feel stupid now? (Myself, not really, because I'd actually only seen less than half the show before I got the DVDs)
    I feel stupid, but then I always feel stupid so that's ok ;)
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;168447]Hell, for the price of a season of [i]Babylon 5[/i] at MSRP, you can have the entire show!

Don't we all feel stupid now? (Myself, not really, because I'd actually only seen less than half the show before I got the DVDs)[/QUOTE]

You too, huh? I specifically waited for the DVDs before I watched the chunk of B5 that I had missed.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I still don't have them on DVD, but I will get them one of these days. Now that the prices seem to be better I might just get them soon. :)

I actually downloaded the whole show plus Crusade a while ago and watched it all from the start and 3 of the newest movies as well. Was quite enjoyeable marathon I must say. :)

Btw, I don't know about anyone else, but I was personally quite disappointed by The Lost Tales. It wasn't at all the quality of the B5 universe I've been used to story wise. It felt to me like it was some half hour episode to fill some space between good episodes of a mediocre show. It felt like it ended before it had even properly started. It didn't make much sense either. It was like a bunch of some whatever events just grabbed from somewhere out of air, which had little to do with anything. Didn't really like it much and expected much much better. And for that JMS refused a deal that WB had offered him for a new feature film? I really hope he will only make more of B5 from now on if he makes it with 100% dedication and high standards that there used to be story-wise. And that means many levels above The Lost Tales unfortunately.

Sorry to be so negative about B5, but I really was disappointed by The Lost Tales. As a big and long time B5 fan I expected much better than that. It didn't meet my expectations at all alas. I hope JMS hasn't lowered to the level where he'd just try to make some extra bucks with the franchise without giving his heart and soul to it and 100% dedication as he did with the TV shows and most earlier movies. I don't really believe in that actually, but this movie frankly speaking was quite a big disappointment unfortunately. Maybe it's partly because I've been waiting for something new and exciting of the B5 universe for quite a while and was expecting something great, but still, this just wasn't very good and what I expected from JMS.

- PJH
    If you were expecting another B5 series in The Lost Tales, it's no wonder you were disappointed. The Lost Tales is the equivalent of a book author writing a few short stories set in a universe they've created in some novels. Short stories tell of things like minor events, or isolated events, or random day in character #8's life, or stuff like that.

Sure, in this particular case the music sucked and the first story was lacking (and with some terrible camera work), but the second story was good as a telling of a minor event, and now that WB has been shown the format can make money, there's a good chance jms will be able to write about events we really want to hear about.
    agreed with Biggles
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Well, I expected a good movie. After a long wait I wanted to see a good B5 movie, that's all. I can understand if something like that is made as an episode of a TV-series, or as a mini-series, but not as a movie. Movies should be big special projects unlike a TV-series episodes, but this was like an empty bottle, like a gap filler TV-episode type of thing. That kind of stuff has no value and no meaning for the viewer as a movie like this IMO.

You can't make movie equivalent of novels like this. It's not the same thing as a book of novels. If you do a mini-series then you can make "novels". One short movie can't serve as a format for something like that, or the movie should be then 3 hours long and superbly well done.

I watched the movie twice and the second time I tried to forget the disappointment from the first viewing, but it was still really bad. The second story was better yes, but still not something one expects to see in a movie. There was no excitement and nothing interesting in this movie to put it short. It lacked all the important elements any good movie, or even a TV-episode should have. The story involving Sheridan had at least something to tell and had at least some meaning and some sense if you really squeeze it from it, but the first one didn't have any of that.

I have liked so far nearly everything B5, but this was an exception. I don't like to see something like this as a B5 movie. I expect better. That kind of stuff should be made as books, or as episodes of a TV-series, but not as a movie.

As good work as JMS has always done in the past and as highly as I regard him this was a bad judgement from him IMO and I hope this was only a one time exception and not something we will be seeing more in the future.

- PJH
    Well, there's your problem. It wasn't a movie. For one, thing, people who make movies usually have money. It looked like they had the budget for a regular episode, at most. And then that got reduced by virtue of having to make all of the sets and CGI from scratch, unlike an actual episode that would have that stuff already around.
    [QUOTE=PJH;168474]You can't make movie equivalent of novels like this. It's not the same thing as a book of novels. If you do a mini-series then you can make "novels". One short movie can't serve as a format for something like that, or the movie should be then 3 hours long and superbly well done.[/QUOTE]

I was saying TLT is like a short story, not a novel. The B5 series itself is the novel(s). Some of the best scifi short stories I've read have been 3 or 4 pages long, much shorter than the average chapter in a novel; each of these TLT stories was shorter than a standard episode.
  • Congratulations Callista.

BTW, I am also [i]now[/i] the proud owner of all 5 seasons of B5.

I also found them at Best Buy, on sale (almost all WB season sets were on sale). Didn't see Crusade, nor the B5 Movie collection, but heck, that can wait... I have waited all this long to find all the seasons at a good price.

Good thing my wife and I decided to make a shopping trip to McAllen, TX during this Christmas vacation. I just got them yesterday.

Another thing I got (but not at Best Buy) was [b]Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Limited Edition[/b]... the five disc edition, in the briefcase. :D
    I got the 5-disc blu-ray edition sans briefcase yesterday. I don't want the brief case and the extra stuff it comes with, just the various iterations of the movie, and buying that without the briefcase is 1/3 the price. :)
    is there a standard dvd set, as opposed to blu-ray.
    The Final Cut is available on regular DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray. On regular DVD, there's a two disc version with the movie and a making of documentary, a four disc version with the movie, the documentary, the three previously released cuts, and a disc of more special features including deleted scenes, and a five disc version will all the stuff of the forth version, the workprint that was accidentally screened at a convention and started the clamor for a director's cut, and little collectables like an origami unicorn and a toy spinner, as well a metal briefcase to keep it all in.

Only the five-disc version is available on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, though you can get just the discs, or the briefcase origami toy collectors version.

For all, and I do mean all, of the details, [url=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bladerunnerfinalallver01.html]see this review.[/url] The breakdown of the different sets is on the last page.

Personally, I'm getting the 4-disc standard DVD. The idea of the workprint and Collectable Crap doesn't thrill me.
    I think I'm going with the 4 disc set as well, something else on the list I need to get. The $78 for the collectors addition is a little steep.
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;168488]Personally, I'm getting the 4-disc standard DVD. The idea of the workprint and Collectable Crap doesn't thrill me.[/QUOTE]

The 4-disc version was my first choice (it was the cheapest way to get the original theatrical release and the latest cut, which are the only two I'm actually interested in), but since it's not available in HD, I went with the 5-disc version.
  • The briefcase I got is plastic, not metal, regular DVD (I don't have High Definition yet, waiting for a format to win).

The collectible toys and concept art cards are a nice touch, not essential really, but I'm glad I have them.

This edition was the only way I found the five disc set, the only other I saw was the 2-disc set (and I did want to have the other versions, in addition to the Final Cut). Maybe I could have lived with the 4-disc set without the workprint DVD, but I didn't find that either.

Given that if (and it's a big if) I were to find this in Mexico it would be half again as expensive (if not twice) and that I really wanted it I got it.

The price was a little steep, but then this is my Christmas present to myself (and the B5 seasons are part of that too, the best gifts are the ones one chooses!).
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=Stingray;168434]I'm surprised there are still people posting on this board who don't have the entire series on DVD yet.[/QUOTE]

I've had the entire series on tape, hand-recorded, for quite some time

[QUOTE=Capt.Montoya;168484]Congratulations Callista.
    Another thing I got (but not at Best Buy) was [b]Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Limited Edition[/b]... the five disc edition, in the briefcase. :D[/QUOTE]

Holy **** I hadn't heard of that set yet! *boggles*
    Hey, you certainly did hear about it through me! I mentioned wanting it "Really badly" some time back :D