Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Atlantis is canned

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
I know a few of you are rather apathetic about it, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Atlantis has been cancelled after this season, but they're going to do at least one tv movie to wrap it up.

[URL="http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_atlantisi_will_end_thi.shtml"]Link[/URL]

I thought it was getting much better this season too :(

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    :(
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Too bad for those who watched it. I don't know how much it was affected by the writer's strike, we all lost a few shows that way.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Actually since the show is mainly a Canadian affair it wasn't really affected by it. A couple of the writers are American and missed the first couple of episodes, but the rest just carried on working, which is why the 4th season ended back around March/April (I think) and the 5th season kicked off last month.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I thought it was really weak in the fourth year and this season, while an improvement, hasn't yet been [i]enough[/i] of an improvement to make up for it. Now, I'm hoping that'll change, and it'll keep getting better so I feel differently by the time the finale airs, but right now, I think going to movies like SG-1 is a much better alternative. The extra time to work on them and the breaks in-between do seem to help.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Meh.. I never cared enough about the gates to worry about one season being weaker than another. I felt more comfortable just knowing its been on the air for an eternity and I can just catch them when I'm bored. I felt comfortable knowing it was always there. I really wonder what it will be getting replaced with. Now once BSG and Atlantis have run their course Sci-fi will have absolutely nothing worth watching besides Eureka, assuming it gets renewed.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Once BSG is done, there won't be a show involving space travel, starships, battles and alien planets.

Doctor Who doesn't count since it only sometimes has those things and even then, isn't back for awhile.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    There is [b]absolutely nothing[/b] coming up that I am even slightly interested in. This is a very disappointing decision. The only silver lining is that they can spend more time on the movies doing cgi etc

EDIT: oh, I forgot about Sanctuary, but then again that is almost a different genre
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Gah, thats bad. Especially since Atlantis really started to get good these last episodes.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm going to stand out and say that Atlantis was ruined last season, and that I have not been pleased with the cancerous simplistic writing and plot development that has been spreading through the franchise.

Yay, say I, for cancellation.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    From what Sanfam has told me, the show hasn't been very good for almost two seasons now and it's about time it died. I haven't watched since season 2 so I don't really know. I'll get caught up with everything when it's all over.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Sanfam never likes good shows. It takes b-grade shows to please him :)
    I loved Atlantis early on! I was a fanboy by season 3. They hit a really good thing right about then, but were continually falling into the trap of rehashed plots.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Im with RC on this one. :p
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    I agree that the series hasnt been very good lately, but still...not much scifi nowadays :/
    No, there's not much [b]good[/b] scifi these days :(
  • we already established on irc that sanfam nitpicks a show to death so most of them "suck" after season 2 ;)

those of us that "just watch" them have enjoyed them all the way :cool:
    But I've got at least two people on my side, so it must be true!
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Well I hope they end it with a big space battle. The MMO comes out this fall. So I guess this is a good way to have fans get their gate dose by forcing them to pay a monthly subscription :rolleyes:
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Let's see how Stargate Universe will turn out (has been officially anounced by SciFi)
  • aslong as the "younger vibe" that they want to introduce doesn't lead to Stargate 90210.... :eek:
    You know it will, it's just like the parody in 200, except real.

Worf
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I agree with Sanfam and stand by his verdict so that makes 3 :D

Last season ruined Atlantis and from what I've seen of the current season its been rather average. Season opener was ok but ending was typical. Episode 2 was just plain rubbish, been there done that.

And I have to say the rather brief return of a former cast member came across more like rubbing salt in the wounds. Seemed a token gesture in my opinion.

Lets hope they sort their writing out for 'Voyager'.
    It does seem to negate the point of having the controversial 'reboot' of the series doesnt it?

And yes, that very brief cameo was nice but why couldnt they have tied up the story properly?!
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Arr, crap. I've been watching Atlantis atm and I'm going through the 4th season right now. I actually think it's quite entertaining. :I Darn, looks like I'll have to check out the original 'till the end as well.
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;175209]Well I hope they end it with a big space battle. The MMO comes out this fall. So I guess this is a good way to have fans get their gate dose by forcing them to pay a monthly subscription :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    I thought the MMO was coming out next year? Beta testing hasnt even started yet
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;175231]It does seem to negate the point of having the controversial 'reboot' of the series doesnt it?

And yes, that very brief cameo was nice but why couldnt they have tied up the story properly?![/QUOTE]

This way, they didn't completely obliterate the replicators forever and ever and ever. Also, they seem to hate Torri Higgins.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Actually, they asked her to reprise her role for this episode (and maybe more), but she declined.
    She declined because they had treated her so badly the previous season. I can't say that I blame her.

Worf
    What did they do to her? I must have missed that
    Basically fired her so they could have Amanda Tapping.

Worf