Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Time for a new daily driver?

2»

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    High milage? i reccomend a 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900....
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I'm guessing that Nova Scotia has it's share of rainy days so having a motorcycle as a daily driver might get a bit interesting...

Jake
    Well yes, there is that, They have weather much like ours, i've still got my bike out and about, but its getting chilly. I think that Vulcan is going to be my next bike.

Oh yeah Dax, speaking of us and NS, Looks like at least one of the proposals for the ferry route would get the boat going back between Bar Harbor and NS... More likely they just bring the Scotia Prince back and do Portland to NS...
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Umm yeah no motorcycle for me, lots of people here have them but they are very much a seasonal vehicle. We get SNOW.

I went to a Mazda dealership here and the guy was pretty sleazy, so I might hit up a different dealership and see. We have a honda now we are pretty happy with so we might see there too.

@Entil'Zha yes I've heard lots of rumours, even Bangor to Halifax but we'll see what happens come Spring!
    Subaru! :)
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Nice shorts, Freejack :D
    Dax, Part of the problem on our end is that as of September, the terminal here lost its grandfathered status, which means that it can no longer be used for commercial purposes legally, SO i don't know how they are going to get around that.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I would suggest against the Yaris. Emily has an '08 three-door model, and it leaves quite a bit to be desired in terms of overall quality (at least with respect to the competition). I'd second the Fiesta, as every single person I have encountered with one has been in the "Mind = Blown" state. They're apparently quite nice :p

Regarding the Mazda3, it's a larger car than any of the other options, but it's fantastic. Owners seem to adore them, and driving dynamics are very nice. The hatch would make an all-around great Beagle Bus, too!

It's times like these that I wish the Suzuki SX4 was fuel-economy competitive with the rest of the class. The fact that it offers all-wheel drive in that price range makes it a car worth considering. Then again, snow tires can make almost any car a mountain goat. I'd suggest looking into this, too. It's about on-par, size wise, with the Fit.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well anything Toyota has quality concerns these days. Shame really. My parents have a Auris. Not a bad car but they did cut corners with the interior trim and plastics. One thing that annoys me a lot is the handbrake. It feels very flimsy and has a naff chrome button. And the interior door handles as they are also plastic feel like they might snap every time you use them.

Fiesta's are not bad cars at all. They handle very well and the Zetec engine models are nippy. But being Ford they do cut corners too. A friend of mine has one which keeps loosing a plastic moulding because the clips are rubbish as was the glue used to hold it on. Bad design given it has to deal with wind rushing past at high speed.

Isn't the Mazda 3 based on the Ford Fiesta? I know a model they had out a few years ago was basically a rebadged Fiesta.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I see Nissan aren't immune either, they've just recalled a whole load of cars too
    The Mazda3 (both generations) is based on the C1 platform, which was originally used on the Focus, while the Fiesta is based on the B3 platform (shared with the Mazda2).

I also feel I should chime in on the build quality concerns. I think that all things considered, there are few (if any) entry level/mid-range models sold in first-world countries (and not by Chrysler :p) that don't compare favorably against luxury models of the eighties and nineties.
  • I would expect B5 fans to be part of the crowd that thinks outside the box and might go for a Saab – maybe.

It’s a nice balance of practical, power, and responsibility. Kind of like a Starfury – except for maybe the responsibility – not sure what kind of fuel millage the Starfuries were getting.

I miss my 1987 900 – but love the reliability of my 2003 9-3. Used ones are VERY inexpensive for what you get with the drama over GM effecting the resale value – I think there is a future to the company now that Spyker is at the helm and I hang onto my cars forever so it does not bother me.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    There is a bright future for SAAB if Spyker keeps some of their promises, esp if they build the 92 that's been talked about.

Jake
    I just saw a beautifully garage kept 900 Turbo SPG hatch for sale in the area. for US$2800, I could have had one of the fastest and most nimble factory 900s ever produced! Also, that glorious red...

I love Saabs, but prefer my Volvos for sheer cargo capacity. However, the next car options for me are hovering between an early nineties Saab 900 hatch, a mid nineties BMW 528i/535i/540i(S) Touring, a Volvo 940SE Wagon, and a 1995-1996 Volvo 960 Wagon.

Though I just recently stumbled upon a Project Car Hell-class 1983 AMC Eagle 4x4 Wagon with the 258cid straight six in classic shade of brown on brown that might be attainable for under $200. If so...it wins.