Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Join the Book Club...

Comments

• Checking in...

I've finished the Psi Corps trilogy. The first book definitely had a lot going on, and it was hard to keep track of the jumps in time throughout the series.

I appreciate how the author was able to create a sense of pity for Bester at times. I almost felt sorry for him at several points. I guess, ultimately, I did feel sorry for him.

And the ending, Spoiler: well, it was somewhat anti-climactic; which in retrospect is fitting, I suppose.

It makes me hope that much more for something to be done regarding the telepath war.

Now, on to the Centauri trilogy!
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    The Centauri Trilogy is the best IMHO, it's what finished the series for me.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Oh hell no. I thought the Centauri Trilogy was a huge wasted opportunity. Which I why I'd recommend reading it next and finishing with the excellent Technomage Trilogy, which is the perfect end to the Babylon 5 universe as far as I'm concerned.
    And I thought the Psi Corps Trilogy ruled too.

By the way, if anyone's wondering, I'm reading more of Robert E. Howard's stories. This time it's El Borak and Other Desert Stories. I just can't get enough of this guy's writing.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm with A2597. The Centauri trilogy is the best.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Giving the first audiobook in the Harry Dresden series, "Stormfront" a go at work.
    One of the downsides of doing a PhD is that it leaves little time for much else. I'm slowly working my way through a huge backlog of science fiction, and just finished reading [i]The Forever War[/i].

The quote on the cover (by Peter F. Hamilton) is incorrect. It isn't "damn near perfect." It's perfect. If you haven't read this book, you should.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It's also on my list to read at some point.

At the moment I've been working thru Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict novels, which I find really engrossing. They're generally a scifi take on mystery/detective work novels, but rooted in science fiction rather than fantasy.

After that I've got the 2nd Castle Nikki Heat tie-in novel 'Naked Heat' to read, and if it's anything like the first, I'm sure it'll be very entertaining!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I've been listening to the unabridged audiobooks of The Lost Fleet series, which have been excellent so far. Interesting plot (similiar concept to BSG, a fleet trying to make it's way home while pursued by the enemy) and characters, while the battles are extremely realistic and detailed.

Sometimes the author repeats a few details but my understanding is that is for people who pick up the books out of order and it's not excessive to the point of being annoying. The other minor niggle I have is the start of the first book seems a little silly but it's needed to setup the situation.

Worth a look.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Ah I was looking for new books to read recently and I came across them. I might have to go back and find them then.

The other book I've got waiting to read is by a guy call L.E. Modesitt. The last one I read of his was 'The Eternity Artefact', which was quite a good read, not bad for a random book I took a chance on from amazon. The one I've lined up is 'The Elysium Commission', which I'm hopeful will be at least as entertaining.

Of course what I'm really waiting for is the next Peter F Hamilton book, tho that might not be for a while, as I think i heard he's going to work up a new universe from the Commonwealth or Confederation books.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I am super surprised we haven't all discussed Ender's Game yet- anyone else read these 8 amazing books? :)
    I have read all but one of the series focusing on Ender but not Ender's Shadow.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Ah Ender's Shadow is on par with Ender's Game
    One of my most enjoyable reads recently wasn't scifi related at all actually; it was Sir Michael Caine's autobiography. I don't tend to go for many (auto)biographies, but his was a very entertaining read.

Probably because he is part of that generation of actors for whom it was about the craft, not the celebrity status that dominates now, he has some fascinating stories to tell about the movies he worked on and the people he worked with. By turns his reflections are thoughtful, insightful, witty and humerous, and I was left with the feeling that he would be a great guy to go down the pub with and listen to stories over a couple of pints! :)
  • With several months delay I second the recommendation of looking at Hugo and Nebula winners for good reads in the SF field.
    Another source for good names and finding new good authors is the "Year's Best SF" annual collection edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Crammer (they also edit a Year's Best Fantasy book, but not being a fantasy reader I have never read those).

I loved the original four Ender books. The Ender's Shadow series was good, nice how it first gives a different view of the events of Ender's Game and how it forks into another good series on its own.
    But I am not really interested on reading Ender in Exile (a novel set in between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead), I like the series, but I'm happy with having read the double tetralogy and not that interested in reading more... also I have the nagging suspicion that this can easily become yet another Ender series (not to mention all the other ways to milk that cash cow I've seen on Card's website). Still if the fabled Ender's Game movie ever becomes a reality I'd see it.

Another SF series I enjoyed was the Red-Green-Blue Mars series of Kim Stanley Robinson (a fourth book "The Martians" is a print equivalent of the out-takes, related material and alternate/extended scenes that you get as extras on a DVD, not essential but enjoyable if you loved the Mars trilogy and must have more).
    RGB Mars are very heavy reads, but well worth it. He's put a lot of thought into them.

By the same author, even heavier, but not scifi is [i]The Years of Rice and Salt[/i]. If you can make it through, it's quite fascinating.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=Biggles;191604]RGB Mars are very heavy reads, but well worth it. He's put a lot of thought into them.[/QUOTE]

I have his book called The Martians, which is a collection of short stories based on the series. My favorite story was the climbing of Olympus Mons.

[QUOTE=Capt.Montoya;191601]With several months delay I second the recommendation of looking at Hugo and Nebula winners for good reads in the SF field.
    [/QUOTE]

Recently, I have been reading a lot, I have returned to my favorite author Larry Niven, who, of course got a Hugo for Ringworld.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I've always loved ringworld. I've always wondered if someone could do a movie of it properly...
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191607]I've always loved ringworld. I've always wondered if someone could do a movie of it properly...[/QUOTE]

The possibility and ability are there, it's just would they... :)

Another thing, the characters would be hard pressed to be introduced quickly since their development is scattered across other stories of his Known Space series.
    Something like that would probably be best made as a tv series.

Worf
    I disagree... to do it properly I see a Pentilogy.

First movie, the prequel should be a combination of Crashlander and N-Space, with the life and times of Beowulf Schaeffer, Luis Wu's (Nurture Father), Carlos Wu (the biological Father), and other characters like the Belters, Pierson's Puppeteers, the Kzinti, etc . These stories would set up the Ringworld Quadrilogy very well...

Of course I'm only dreaming of a "dream team" film group the likes of J.R.Tolkiens movies, unlimited budget, etc...

:p :laugh:
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Not only that, but the Ringworld novels are not the most action packed, it would be a much more cerebral sci-fi series, and i'm not sure how that would do numbers wise.

And i'd be very afraid they would end up doing what was done with the Bourne series of movies, the Movie's name is the same as the book, the Characters name is the same as the book, and that's where the similarities end.
    Recently I've been reading the Spinward Fringe books by Ralph Lalonde. There's about 7 or 8 in the series I think; I'm only on number 3 at the moment. They've been very entertaining so far, and I've not been able to put them down, which hasn't happened to me for a while now. The last book like that was probably the last book in Peter F Hamilton's Void trilogy.

I think what I like most about the books is that whilst it does rely on technology to drive good portions of the plot, it feels well constructed and thought out, not too fantastical (tho I say that lightly since we're talking about ftl, nanobots and the like!), but most importantly it is consistent in its use. The technology frequently saves the day, but it has been thought out, introduced and then developed properly, unlike in a certain show we mustn't mention ;)
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I recently finished Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card, I love his stuff (Ender's Game being his best)
  • I'm currently a quarter of the way into a Feast for Crows (4th in the Song of Ice and Fire series) as I prepare myself for the upcoming Game of Thrones series on HBO. Words can not describe how excited I am for that show.
    Incidentally, regarding the Spinward Fringe books, the first book (Origins) is free in the Kindle store at the moment if anyone fancies investigating it....:)
    Listening to the audiobook of Consider Phlebas.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I'm reading The Black Company by Glen Cook right now and really enjoying it. I kept seeing one of the Black Company books in the library and the thing describing it on the back (uh... what are those called again?) and the little quote from a review comparing the series to a fantasy version of a Vietnam War account sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out. I'm definetly planning on reading more of this series.
    I've got two on the go at the moment: A Dance with Dragons, and Renegades by Dan Worth. Both are very entertaining
    I recently read The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime. Both very good books with their own unique ideas.
    I just found this in a $3 bin, gonna start reading it soon. a Novella... :)