Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

RIP: Steve Jobs dies at 56

2»

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;193938]Microsoft is a victim of their own success.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I agree with that characterization. The Empire was a victim of their own success and Darth Vader was just misunderstood? :D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Darth Vader wasn't bad, He was just drawn that way...

Oh wait, that was Jessica Rabbit, nevermind.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I have had impure thoughts regarding female versions of Darth Vader...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Refa, you've had impure thoughts about pretty much everything!
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Stingray;193936]You can't be serious! :cool: A series of OS releases riddled with security holes, it must be the drivers. Yeah, right. ;)[/QUOTE]
    Yes, because OSX and Linux aren't riddled with security issues either. ;) Seriously though, the problem is that Windows has a much larger user base, so they're actually exploited way more often.
    I don't buy the user base argument for several reasons, the market is shifting towards Apple products, design of computing hardware is more and more similar and coming out of the same factories. Microsoft products are also improving and I personally can count the crashes per year on one hand, which is on par with the other OSes. Of course anyone elses mileage may vary. I suppose things look different when you start building your own hardware which I am not including here.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I can't talk that much about Windows 95, 98 but from Windows 2000 and forward Windows has been as secure as OSX or Linux. This has also been stated by many IT security experts over the years. Biggest risk for consumers is not having the knowledge to protect their computers. Also due to the large user base of Windows it is a lot more attractive to exploit.
    In my experience all the crashes I've had ever since Windows XP have been due to hardware (bad ram, motherboard, hdd) and third party applications (firewall causing bsod by blocking install file).
  • Agreed....XP and 7 have been far more stable than 95, 98, and ME ever were. BSOD was normal on the 9x line, but rarely happened in the 5 years I had XP.....probably a dozen times. I can't recall 7 crashing in the past 18 months more than several times.
    Seafroggys, I dont know if it's just me.. but my sarcasm meter just had a spike when reading your reply.. :P

Anyway, none of my win7 running pc's have crashed as far as I remember, in the past 16 months. All 3 of them. Some of the programs, yes.. but those are ones with instability problems to begin with, and been luckier than most on those. :)

Vista I would prefer leaving at the same category as the prequel trilogy, and it shall not be spoken of..
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I've actually had more trouble with our Macs this year than our win PC's., not to mention the difficulty swapping out harddrives in a mac laptop'cpmpared to a PC
    I updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.0 and guess what? The Notes app crashes when you try to run it and the Settings app crashes when you try to configure the Notes app.

That's like updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and Notepad crashes in Windows 8. That's a new low, Apple, now that Steve is gone. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, indeed. :(

Elvis has truly left the building.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It's probably to "encourage" you to get a 4S
    So it would seem. But that ain't gonna happen. I'd rather buy a 3rd party Notes app for less than $5.00. ;)
    Well, turns out, after two more sync attempts with iTunes, my iPhone appears to be working again as it should, but I lost like four days worth of texting messages.

Either way, that's not how it should work. People who upgrade 99.9% of the time don't do it with a factory new phone. So it's not like they were unaware of the potential problems. User data and OS should never mix, period.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    How is your battery life doing? I've heard complaints from iPod users, that iOS5 royally screwed their battery life. Curious how your 3GS is holding up.
    Well, the battery life is still ok as far as I can tell. I only got like 90' of continuous use with iOS4 and as far as I can see it has not really gotten worse with the upgrade. The 3GS is still pretty solid for such an "old" phone and I use it quite a bit. :)
    [URL="http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/steve-jobs-final-words-shared-sister-eulogy-060321674.html"]Famous last words.[/URL]

[QUOTE]OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what he was referring to. I'm sure the religious types are going to have a field day with this.
    He could've been high on painkillers, or his brains might've been malfunctioning at the new software update which caused his body to become bricked due to incompatibility.

I'll let you know when it happens to me.

I mean, really. I'm going to come back and haunt the lot of you. If I dont, that just proves there is no afterlife.. or there is an afterlife and I've been reborn as a bacteria in some far away galaxy.
  • Or it could have been "OUCH OW OUCH OW OUCH OW".
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Maybe it was the LSD's last shot?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Maybe he said it deliberately, just to make people wonder.
  • Or maybe the last words of billions of other people who have died before Jobs does not matter, as Jobs himself said OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.