Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Terra Nova

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    As soon as Shannon got the cold I knew where this one was going, altho I did still enjoy it, especially the hints of the darker past to Taylor. More good character expo, so overall satisfied!
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;193934]Well, 3rd episode makes me rather pissed at Fox, and the reason why I find Fox such a horrible channel.

3rd episode, and they delay it by almost an hour for a baseball game...that was not even planned to be broadcast on the channel in the first place. I don't know exactly how long they delayed it by, because I was doing other stuff and only was checking every 15 minutes or so. It was already going when I tuned in at about 9pm, though it seemed pretty close to the start.

Great way to lose viewers on a new show, Fox.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that definitely reminded me of what they did with Firefly...
    Well, this week's episode finally explains the beef the Sixer's have with Taylor. Not what I expected at all!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Actually it's pretty much what I expected, just from small hints in the previous episodes. The only thing I'm not clear on is [sp]why they have a problem with Taylor. I mean, I can understand that he might have pissed off people in his past, but it must either be a pretty strong vendetta against him personally, or he's standing in the way of a goal of these 'powerful people'. I think its pretty obviously the latter, but I've no idea what the goal could be as yet.[/sp]
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SP]I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a bad guy. I get fed up with military commanders always being portrayed as bad men.[/SP]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I thin k it's pretty obvious that the inability to send anything back to the future is BS, and I think the equations on the rocks at the falls are a key to it. Likely a message to Taylor from his "missing" son.
    Exactly. If they couldn't send back, then how would messages get back, to where they came from?
  • On the same topic, could someone explain to me... As I tend to miss a point here, maybe it was told but I didn't pay attention to it.

They're sending people from the "present" to "past", how come they know there isn't a black hole or something in the other end which eats everything? I know that there was a probe of some sort, but it wasn't found in the "future", something to do with timelines... That did not help me at all.

How do they know that there is a inhabitable place on the other end? Or are they just sending people and brightest minds to die till they know better, as some scientist made an assumption that "yes, the other side of this strange circling light will lead us to the age of dinosaurs, because the calculations say so"...

And how are the resources distributed from the gate, are they just sending in stuff, guns and bullets, based on assumptions what you might need to fight assumed dinosaurs?

This has bothered me from the start, I don't know if this hasn't been told on purpose, or it could be as I said, I didn't pay attention on critical moment. So please, enlighten me comrades.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Well, I was thinking the same sinclair. At least for the first people going over there. But clearly they can communicate back as they have mentioned making requests for people and other stuff. So I would guess they could communicate with the probe but did just not find it in future and therefor realizing it's an alternate time line.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Who says they didn't find it in the future? The only people who have said that are the same ones sending people back.
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    The link between Terra Nova and the future world is only maintained while the portal is open. From what I've seen so far, it looks like matter travels one way while radio traffic is bi-directional. Identical to the Stargate idea.

So my guess as to the sequence of events leading up to a colony would be:

1) Send a probe through the portal to learn it's a habitable world similar to Earth's past - maybe even study the night sky to try and determine how far into the past the portal leads, etc
    2) Send a reinforced "beacon" that is specifically designed to survive for millions of years only to never find one in present time, leading to the hypothesis that the world runs parallel to the "future reality" but is not that same world-track.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Not very satisfied with the series so far. It feels too much like I have seen it all before, except that they've added a few dinosaurs in the mix.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;194016]Who says they didn't find it in the future? The only people who have said that are the same ones sending people back.[/QUOTE]
    Maddy explained it in the first episode and I'd think it would be pretty idiotic of the show's writers to put that in if it wasn't how it works.
    Don't forget the fact that it has also been stated that the reason for the colony is to control the future. The easiest way for that is to not exist in an alternate time, as they are telling the inhabitants, but to actually exist in the past.

Steps to conquer the world:
    1. Build a time machine
    2. Go back in time with modern weapons and conquer the past
    3. Outlaw research in to technologies that lead to time machines.
  • "One point I found interesting right off the bat was the idea of no probe found in the future so they determine it isn't their past, so like some have said a parallel timeline earth perhaps."

Or, if the show makers are trying to be clever (if they have a story arc ready, which I doubt) about this thing.

Maybe the show ends when last man or a woman has thrown all the things from the future into a volcano, including the probe. Meaning, whatever happened in the "past" didn't work and the "future" remains the same.
    This has all happened before, and will all happen again...

So say we all...
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    That's it!

Ancestors of the failed Terra Nova colony are the humanoids that the colonists find at the end of BSG...

Jake
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://sfbook.com/cantata-140.htm[/url]

If you want to read a good book based on similar premise, i recommend that.
    Saw the first episode.. and son.. I am disappoint.

Apart from Taylor, everyone else is just.. boring. Uninteresting. Lots of bad and boring writing, the effects were meh.

And those kids.. the annoying son and everything. DIE DIE DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH MOTHER FUCKERS...

I am still going to watch it, like Lost.. but not worth the hdd space to save.

From the new shows, Person of Interest is showing some actual promise. 5 episodes in, and it has loads of entertainment value. Kind of more interested in the characters in it atleast, the two main ones.
    5 episodes down. Commander Taylor still only interesting character.

Cant actually remember much anything about any of the episodes. Very... boring. Generic ones.

Way too much like Lost. In the bad way.
    That's kinda how I feel about your posts... :p
    Haha nice one Jack!

For me it simply comes down to the fact that I want to watch some scifi, and currently there aren't many other options out there, so I'll keep watching
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Lord Refa;194028]And those kids.. the annoying son and everything. DIE DIE DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH MOTHER FUCKERS...[/QUOTE]

A thought occurred to me the other day. I'm sure most here will agree that Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica (the new one) are two of the finest scifi series around. What's one thing they both have in common?

No kid characters.

Babylon 5 specifically avoided them (except in one part of one episode) and Battlestar Galactica dropped the one that was in the original series, and only introduced one later on as a plot point, not a major character.

The only programme I can think of in recent memory that got young characters right is Deep Space Nine, with Jake and Nog.
  • Plus the love stories which don't have any purpose whatsoever, especially between the stupid kid characters.

Take Babylon 5 for instance, the stuff that happened between Delenn and Sheridan was built into that moment, it didn't bother me at all. And also whatever happened, it happened for a reason. Fifth season is another story.
    How come its so damn hard to make a such series anymore? Do the TV companies have to please every 13 year old girl with a quickly put love story from the elements which are destined to fail, why can't they create a show without such crap anymore?

If I would like to watch some crap like that I'd take a look at Big Brother or Jersey Shore, as those two examples are on the highest possible level of legal torture and dislike without breaking UN resolutions.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194033]Haha nice one Jack!

For me it simply comes down to the fact that I want to watch some scifi, and currently there aren't many other options out there, so I'll keep watching[/QUOTE]

Oddley enough, the only good new Scifi I've been watching lately is Clone Wars. Pretty good space opera all in all. Yeah the dialog is a bit stiff which is a hallmark of Star Wars at this point, but it has some good battles, a bit of story line here and there...

Jake
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194033]For me it simply comes down to the fact that I want to watch some scifi, and currently there aren't many other options out there, so I'll keep watching[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I have no love of the show, but at least it is scifi. Too bad there isn't any good scifi out these days...
    I keep meaning to dip back into the Clone Wars Freejack, just never seem to get around to it...
    [QUOTE=Freejack;194026]That's it!

Ancestors of the failed Terra Nova colony are the humanoids that the colonists find at the end of BSG...

Jake[/QUOTE]
    Just a few millennia off... ;)

But yeah, watching this show now, is pretty much like watching the first season of B5. Script isn't that great, but it shows a lot of promise, if nudged in the right direction.
    Spoiler: Interesting! So Taylor's son is still alive! Should make for an interesting reunion.
    Interesting! Spoiler: So Taylor is apparently the good guy now? Guess we get to look forward to seeing a few more Avatar in-jokes.