Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Hobbit

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;195976]I did.[/QUOTE]
    You're hardly a normal example Worf! :p
  • I read the book in 4 days at age 9. And I had competition with an SNES and a PC.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Yes, and you all had your wisdom teeth pulled at age 6 and ate corn on the cob the same afternoon. :D

This is FirstOnes after all!! I forgot where I was. ;)
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I just want to add that I haven't read the Hobbit nor Lord of the Rings. :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;195977]Childrens book or not, The Dwarfs were NOT comic relief![/QUOTE]

Maybe not to you. :)

[quote]the general tone is kept light-hearted, being interspersed with songs and humour.[/quote]

(From [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_hobbit#Style]Wikipedia[/url].)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Adults have a very nasty habit of over and underestimating the abilities of children.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Light-hearted does not mean SILLY!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [quote=c_mon;195985]i just want to add that i haven't read the hobbit nor lord of the rings. :)[/quote]
    heathen!!!

Burn the heretic!!!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    *summons the Ori to cleanse his being*
    I don't see what the tolerance for borebom has to do with intellectual abilities, they are children, not astronauts trying for a spot to go to Mars. :D
    I wanna go to mars!!!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Sign me up for a round trip ticket too!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Before or after The Hobbit movies are released?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    It could be something to pass the time in the year between the first and second movies.
    After, despite my disappointment about the dwarfs, I am still very much looking forward to seeing it.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    This reminds me that I need to read The Hobbit to my girls...

Jake
    Best get started! :)
    Oh yeah, and, SMAUG! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6Zl4gjtCAxQ[/url]

(ok only for about .5 seconds, but it's still SMAUG!)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    And a sled drawn by giant bunny's? I don't remember that part
  • Probably Radagast.

The city we see doesn't look like Laketown, so I'm guessing that's a flashback to when Smaug trashed Dale?
    Could be,
    [QUOTE=bobo;196700]And a sled drawn by giant bunny's? I don't remember that part[/QUOTE]

I thought you were joking... and then I saw the trailer. :D

Hookay... I know already that I'll go see it with my girlfriend. So it's too late now. :D Unless this scene ends up on the cutting room floor as they say. There is no escape from the bunnies. Aaaarrgh, not the bees, NOT THE BEEES!!!
    I Missed the bunnies, I must have mentally blocked it out!
    I hope you remember that animals were a big part of The Hobbit and yes...some of them even talk.
    how dare you call Bjorn an animal!!!!!! :)
    I have seen it :)
  • Seen it.

no real spoilers, but just in case.
    Spoiler:
    I think they could have left about 45 minutes of footage on the cutting room floor, and been better off for it. I get what Jackson was trying to do, but it seriously did not flow well IMHO.
    I really liked it. It wasn't up to the same standard as LOTR, but given the source material I always figured that was going to be a given.

I loved seeing more of Middle Earth, and I have to say that what Jackson et al have done with it is pretty damn close to the way that I had imagined it.

I saw the high frame rate version, and actually I really liked it. It took a little getting used to; for the first 20 minutes or so it was really noticeable that it was a higher frame rate, but after that I actually found it to be quite natural to watch. In fact, by the end of the movie I didn't even notice that it was 48fps. The 3D was also really well done I thought, the stereoscopic approach felt much better than any other 3D I've seen. I'm still not convinced that it's the game changed that the studios want it to be, but if every film was done like that I'd be a bit more convinced. My only complaint was that I came away with a bit of a headache, but I usually get that from a 3D movie so it's not something I was that concerned about, although possibly 48fps did make it a little worse. I find all 3D movies too dim once I've put on the glasses however, so I'm having to look harder at the screen, which may be the cause.

Now how the hell am I supposed to wait till next year for part 2?!?
    If I am going to go see the Hobbit (not necessarily this weekend), then it's going to be in 2D.

There are some blockbusters I didn't go to see because they were locally only shown in 3D. As far as I can tell, 3D doesn't bring anything to the table other than giving a reason to charge you more for a ticket. I didn't get a headache from Avatar and I got used to the view rather quickly, but it's still not winning me over, especially if others get headaches or motion sickness from watching 3D.

The way I got past the wait of getting to see the 2nd and 3rd part of LotR was, I purposely didn't see any of them before all had come out. I doubt I will be able to do it this time though.
    In term of narrative the 3D didn't add anything, but visually it was actually very impressive