Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Antares blows up on liftoff!

Comments

• Not sure if Julie can impersonate this launch.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    It's always heartbreaking, all this work destroyed in mere seconds.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    True, but the child in me loves big explosions! :D
    You'd think they knew how to build reliable rockets by now. I guess they don't. Burt Rutan has a point in insisting to take off by plane.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    My understanding from reading headlines is that Antares uses old Soviet engines that have deteriorated a bit in storage
    edited October 2014
    So much for Virgin Galactic picking the safer way. Looks like a test flight went bad and ended in a crash.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Not the kind of explosions I enjoy :(

I hope the other pilot pulls through
    edited November 2014
    Apparently the mechanism used for re-entry of the spaceship was triggered for some reason. I never liked that design for some reason to be honest. Their planes all have that retro "Cadillac" look that just doesn't seem right.
    Sounds like it activated without being told to at the moment, which is the sort of glitch that could happen in any design I suppose.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    So it bumped up its drag and killed its areodynamics introducing a desire to rotate while firing its rocket engine. Suspect it started spinning, then the wings snapped off. Then crash.