Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Would you believe this is cell-shaded ?

WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
[img]http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july02/robotechmulti/12.jpg[/img]

Like, wow, man.

Comments

• Ooooooo, that new Macross game on PS2.

------------------
    "God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    I remember wanting an N64 just for that Robotech game that was going to be released. Of course, by the time I got the system it had been canned for two years. So all I had to show for it was Goldeneye and some wierd-ass game called "Goemon's Great Adventure". Bleh...
    Speaking of which...

Which episodes/series' were supposed to be the good ones ?
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Would you believe this is cell-shaded?[/quote]

Well, yes....because it LOOKS cell-shaded...
    *Sticks out his tongue at Samuelk*
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    To be fair, it's also coming out on the Gamecube and (I think) the Xbox. There are some movies of it floating around on the net from E3. It looks rather nice so far.

And if you wanna see some good cell shading, look at some of the E3 vids of Zelda... drool.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's pretty good celshading.

The celshading on Zelda looks great too. It's interesting to see that celshading is becoming popular suddenly.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    Why, you must be more specific.. heh..

Are you talking Robotech or Macross?

If you're talking Robotech, I'd advice you to skip it and find the originals (Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEDA). I say this because Robotech is basicly a butchered version of the shows in which 3 completely unrelated series' are made to fit together, meanwhile completely loosing the vast majority of the story from each show.

If you're talking Macross, you've got a few to pick from. (Someone say if I forget one)
    Macross
    Macross: Do you Remember Love
    Macross II: Lovers Again
    Macross Plus
    Macross 7
    The first (macross) I would reccomend simply because it's a classic in it's own right. Macross: Do you remember love, I've not had the pleasure of watching but from what I've read on it, it seems to be a re-hash of the original macross run shrunk down to a movie/short OAV type format with a slightly different veiw on some things. Macross II: Lovers Again is a kind of alternate reality as it does not fit with the story line set by Macross and Macross Plus but is a good one in it's own right....just for the love of all that's holy, watch the Subtitled version if you can find it.... the english dub is horrible IMO. Macross Plus... is killer. I've read reviews where people have called it the "Top Gun" of anime and quite frankly I can't find reason to argue. Macross 7 is another I've not had the pleasure of watching but from the bits and pieces I've seen of it, it looks like it might fit with the "alternate universe" bit along with Macross II...but I could be wrong as, again, I've not seen it. If I had to pick one, I'd have to pick Macross Plus, hands down. Out of all of them it's got the best voice acting (both original and english dub), best animation, the music's killer, and it's got one hell of a story... Though if you want to find out why most anime fans HATE (and I mean downright dispise) Carl Macek and Harmony Gold, watch Macross, then watch Robotech.. Dead serious... the man butchered the show.

------------------
    Is bad....is bad to open airlock in space... air go out like WOOSH!
  • KonradKonrad Ranger
    Uh oh, Macross and Robotech mentioned in the same sentace. I can think of another board where that would start a war. LOL (I love both equaly.)

You owe it to yourself to see DYRL, the animation is wonderful (for that time).
    I really must get around to redoing the shader in my engine.

------------------
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
    Gota agree with you on Macross plus, it was amazing. Even though my sattelite tended to go out momentarily during some crucial parts.

I wasn't all too crazy for Macross 2, though. (though I'll take your suggestion and hope there's a good movie in the subbed version).

I've always figured that Robotech was a "Kiddie-fied" version of Macross anyway. But in the case of the game, I'll take it, Valkiryes are Valkiries.
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    My sentiments exactly Why. =)

I do not own a console system. I haven't owned one since I bought my old Genisis many moons ago. I refuse to own a console because I prefer the way games look and feel on my PC......I might make an exception for this.

Robotech wasn't "kiddified" from what I remember... as there was still war and death and the like. It was just butchered to have 3 unrelated series work together. I'm sure it might be a good show in it's own right, but I'm one of those people who can't get over the fact that Carl Macek is pathetic enough that he couldn't come up with his own works, so instead he had to rip off someone elses... though I don't know which is worse... Him for doing it or Harmony Gold for making a profit off of it and defending their bastardized work as if it was some wonderfully original peice.

------------------
    Is bad....is bad to open airlock in space... air go out like WOOSH!
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    OK, I'll bite...

What exactly is cell shading?

------------------
    bobo
    <*>
    B5:ITF
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    Cell shading is a technique that's been popping up a lot lately that, instead of putting a regular texture on a model, does something with it to make it look like a 3d cartoon. Take a look at Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast), Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) and the upcoming Zelda game on the Gamecube for some good examples of cell shading. You get a really good sense of what it looks like if you look at movies instead of screenshots, though. Try and find the E3 trailer of the new Zelda, if you can.
    Celshading isn't really done with the textures. Choosing the right textures is important, but most of the effect is achieved with the shader. Instead of having the normal smooth shading, you specify a number of shading regions (3 or 4 usually). For example, if you have 3 regions, you would make one of them very dark, one greyish and one bright. You then decide which of these three regions a particular part of the model will have based on the light incidence angle and all that other stuff used to determine normal shading values. The result is a very banded looking shading scheme, which is what cartoons usually have. I guess you could say it's taking banding to the next level.

------------------
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    cough/ and I've been doing 'cell shading' the hard way for years, knowing that everyone will get sick of smooth shades and 'photo-realistic' and want art to look more like "Art"...
    /cough

incidentally, have a look at your wingart boys and girls... any one colour in there is between three and six shades and tints of the same colour.

one of these days CGI will catch up to me... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I actually decided about 4 months ago to make my engine celshaded. I think it will give the game a unique feel.

------------------
    [unnatainabledream]

Someday, I want to make a cell-shaded animated sci-fi movie

[/unnatainabledream]
    Yeah, me to.

------------------
    Back to Anime: I finally saw an episode of Cowboy Bebop, and ho-lee crap, how the hell could I have missed this ?!?
  • [quote]Originally posted by WHY:
    [b]I remember wanting an N64 just for that Robotech game that was going to be released. Of course, by the time I got the system it had been canned for two years. So all I had to show for it was Goldeneye and some wierd-ass game called "Goemon's Great Adventure". Bleh...[/b][/quote]

Actually, I just read something about how Robotech.com was selling the rewritible cartriges that the devs used. It'd be like sierra selling the beta of ITF. You missed out...