Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

General Lost Tales Review and Discussion

Comments

• HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I hated how telepathy didn't get any mention there.
  • Spoiler: I think it was too much talking, and yet it didnt give anything much to talk about.

Yeah, that satanic flamethrower guy might be one subject to talk about, but then stuff like this new quantumspace (!?) doesnt really give me a geeky erection...
    I'd compare this movie to season 1, a good startup, but still the real B5 feeling awaits itself.

Also it was a disappointment for me to realize that I could have seen all the action clips from the trailer, instead of watching the whole movie...
    It was great however, new station looked good, and seeing good old faces again made me feel like the series never ended.

Cant wait for next movie ;)
    I rather liked [SPOILER]Q-Space[/SPOILER]. I love the aggressiveness of the entry/exit.

But we really need more movies people. This needs to be a whole series of movies IMO .. ;)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    What we need is a story arc!
  • I for one loved the character development and pointed action over endless geek speak about Spoiler: q-space or unneeded action. It was TNT that said “more fights” after all. That’s not true JMS B5. The character focus is why B5 and BSG have such a broader appeal over just dorks.

Spoiler:
    What we know about q-space:
    Makes you dizzy/sick early on. Twice as fast as hyper. Ships can generate their own gateway to it direct from normal space and perhaps use gates to exit at least. What more do you need to know to tell a story? [Londo voice] deflectors, warp fields, mater anti-mater FAH! [/Londo voice]

Talking Points:
    Why was Vir only Emp for 10 years?
    What happened to Londo?
    What are David and Delen up to?
    Is David’s keeper still in the jar or has it been given yet?
    Would the Prince go after the Narn before Earth and the warlocks?
    Has Narn rebuilt at all?
    Clearly G’Kar is done with Lyta and lived ~ what happened to her?
    Are the technomages back?
    Who are Galen’s peeps on B5?
    Any more Excaliburs out there?
    Was Ivonova on one of those Warlocks that got popped?
    Would Garabaldi work with a Techmage given his lack of love for secret groups?
    How did they cure it?!?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=Konrad;163353]
    Spoiler:
    Why was Vir only Emp for 10 years?[/quote]
    Maybe that was just in the evil-Vintari future.
    [quote] Spoiler: What happened to Londo?[/quote]
    Well, his planet was blown up and he was implanted with a Keeper and forced to do the bidding of the Drakh. At this point in time, I believe Durla, an ambitious and dangerous man who's interest unknowingly align with those of the Drakh, has just been made Prime Minister (he's probably the guy who's first in the Imperial Line of Succession). He challenged Londo's leadership but Londo, though the skilled application of his massive titanium balls, kept Durla off his case. Londo is still quietly resisting the Drakh's control of Centuari Prime.
    [quote] Spoiler: Is David’s keeper still in the jar or has it been given yet?[/quote]
    It's still in the jar. It'll be given on David's sixteenth, which not coincidentally is shortly before Sheridan and Delenn are captured by the Centauri, and Londo and G'Kar kill each other.
    [quote] Spoiler: Would the Prince go after the Narn before Earth and the warlocks?[/quote]
    Too far in the future to speculate. Perhaps, by that point, Earth had become the greatest individual empire in the IA, and was thus the largest single threat.
    [quote] Spoiler: Has Narn rebuilt at all?[/quote]
    Probably. They certainly got their fleet back quickly, if "The Fall Of Centauri Prime" is anything to go by.
    [quote] Spoiler: Clearly G’Kar is done with Lyta and lived ~ what happened to her?[/quote]
    Sadly, Lyta was killed during the Telepath War, before Crusade began.
    [quote] Spoiler: Are the technomages back?[/quote]
    Probably not. They like hiding.
    [quote] Spoiler: Was Ivonova on one of those Warlocks that got popped?[/quote]
    Doubtful. She was probably dead of old age by the time that war would've happened. Even if she wasn't, she'd be long retired from Earthforce, having become Ranger One at the end of Sleeping In Light.
    [quote] Spoiler: Would Garabaldi work with a Techmage given his lack of love for secret groups?[/quote]
    Probably not.
    [quote] Spoiler: How did they cure it?!?
    [/QUOTE]
    Now, that's the six million credit question, isn't it?
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    I liked it, a lot. I hope it is more the beginning than the end for Babylon 5!

The intro was nicely done, too bad there will be no G'Kar tale :/
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Hang on Callista and I didn't get comics with our copy and we both bought them at a Best Buy. WTF?! (I think this warrants a visit...)
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    yeah no comic with amazon order.
    In a fit of pure evil, not only was the comic a Best Buy exclusive, it was a [i]limited[/i] Best Buy exclusive. Only six copies with the comic went to each store, and that's all.

I'm usually stridently against pirating creative works, but for bullshit like this where stuff is yanked off the market for no reason, I make an exception. Or would, if someone scanned the comic and put it up for download. Or even just posted a synopsis more specific than "Expands on the G'Kar and Franklin tribute line in the movie."
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I'm forced to agree, most people (including my self) have absolutely no chance of seeing this comic legally and so I'm missing out on part of the B5 story. Not only that, it was dedicated to two of the actors who died and their characters.

Sadly, I think denying the majority of fans a chance to read this story and remember them is actually disrespectful to their memories :(

Worf
    Anyhoo, my short review:

Spoiler: First segment
    I am torn between states in this. I felt that while the Priest and the "Demon" were well cast, Scoggins' performance was the weak to the point of bringing down the entire segment. Her apparent inability to handle green screen and generally emote repeatedly jarred me from the otherwise interesting story. I was also put off by the excessively motion-prone camerawork, which made following the story even more difficult. The harsh transition from filming on green screen with a static/slow moving camera to the more mobile practical set environments made this even more noticable. It just felt excessive at times. And last but not least, where was the music we used to love so much? The soundtrack was sparse, with long stretches of silence that would have felt better hads they been reinforced with musical backup.

Second Segment
    Damned near perfect, excluding some of the rushed feeling that went into it. (though I was pleased with how they handled the similarity in style to ACTA. It also left open the possibility of another appearance prior this short story...) It just worked, with the available characters fitting comfortably into the story. Not taking place on B5 made the "bare" feeling caused by the small cast to be far less of an issue. I liked the story, the acting, the resolution. It just felt good and perfectly fitting for a Babylon 5 story.
    I think it would've been better with both stories merged together.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;163454] Spoiler: I was also put off by the excessively motion-prone camerawork, which made following the story even more difficult.[/QUOTE]

Spoiler: I hated that too. I think it was supposed to be spooky or something, but I just found it annoying. It was as if the station had stopped spinning and the camera was in freefall or something.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    My DVD just arrived in the post this morning! :) That's pretty good delivery time too, coming from the states!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    OMG you git! :p I got the cd this morning. When I saw the large cardboard sleeve I was sure it was the dvd. Drats just the cd. Oh well better than nothing. Fingers crossed it will be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow.

Enjoy watching!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I just watched the memorials. Deeply touching :( I never knew Rick Biggs was such a fan of his role either. And that picture of G'kar holding Bruce's little boy...priceless!
    I really love the title sequence. When watching that, it feels like all new B5 is about to begin (probably because they used the old series photos for the characters). Truely a good feeling.. Even if it's not really the case :)

When I watch that. [b]It feels like B5 never left[/b]
    It never did.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Indeed, it just rested for awhile.

Worf
    Spoiler: I absolutely loved the way Rick and Andreas were worked into the story. It was a beautiful way of remembering them.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    [Spoiler]I pretty much agree with you Sanfam, exact same feelings for me. Part one felt drawn out and far too silent, I actually found that my attention was wandering a little. And yes the camera style was a bit iffy in places, I remember in particular where it focused on the priests hand for a few moments and then move to frame Simon. Didn't quite get why they zoomed on his hand, gave the impression something was going to happen like maybe tremble or something.

Part two was bang on, except for the annoyingly short battle sequence. That was just plain cruel really. Apart from that it was great. Interesting on the quantum space thing, so where did they get that left over Vorlon tech from I wonder? Not something they'd have just left lying around :D It was great to see Peter Woodward play Galen again. He's got such a fantastic screen presence.
    [/Spoiler]

Overall then a thumbs up. Its such a fantastic feeling knowing that B5 is finally back. B5 never looked better!!!
    Spoiler: Maybe they found an unmarked switch on the White Stars and flipped it to see what happens. "Whoa! Hyperspace is blue now! And, what the... we're already at our destination! This kicks ass! Now, where's the ship's laundry?"

On that note, I gave it a thought the other day, and realized that the only time we ever saw a Vorlon ship (or several vorlon ships) in hyperspace, it was in what was described as a "pocket." What if this wasn't a hyperspace cloaking device, but actually the way ships in Quantum Space appear to ships in hyperspace, just like how gravity waves in normal space show up as currents in hyperspace? Since we never saw a Vorlon ship in hyperspace aside from that, they could've been using Quantum space the whole time, and we never knew since, apparently, you get to it through the same jumppoints and jumpgates that get you to hyperspace.

It's not the worst retcon in Babylon 5 history (that distinction goes to explaining that the reason the Minbari always talked like there were only two castes in season 1 was that nobody gave a shit about what the Workers thought. The reason that "Sheridan didn't actually destroy the Black Star between Mars and Jupiter" doesn't count is that it wasn't retconned, just ignored and forgotten.)
  • Spoiler: there was that Vorlon listening post that got destroyed. Could have come from there. It also implies there were others. We know the Shadows left teck for there minions, Perhaps the Vorlons did that too.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    You bastards..

I will get it next week prolly...

Oh yea.. I will be in another country then, for the next 4 months or so atleast..
    Don't forget when some of the firstones ships "left for the rim" they didn't use Hyperspace like portals.
    I suspect there are a multiple of ways to get around the galaxy, and hyperspace is merely the simplest, therefore its the one that all the younger races use.
  • I liked how Spoiler: Sheraton becomes an old coot and hates news reporters. :D
    Regarding Quantum Space: I have no problem with this realm. Aside from the one fleet massing in the hyperspace pocket for an assault on normal space, did we ever see any Vorlon ships moving around in Hyperspace? On top of this, we never once did see a VPK pass through a Jump Point. It seems reasonable that they would use the Quantum Space transition to save such a grotesque effects shot from ever needing to occur. :p Of course, that then leaves the problem of getting to Quantum Space from Hyperspace and vice versa, but it seems reasonable to assume that one could phase from Hyperspace to Quantum Space and vice versa.

I'm good with it as long as we don't suddenly have it too severely retconned into past scenarios.
    would they actually need to go from hyperspace to quantum space though? im sure they could, i just dont really see the need.