Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caprica

Comments

• HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Different how?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Supposedly they couldn't show any of the nudity, so that's gone and replaced by new footage.

Not sure what until I see it for myself :)

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    No boobies?!? :(
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    In other words, no reason to tune in tonight.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I wouldn't say that! For starters Alessandra Torresani is a stunner IMHO ;)
    BTW, we already have a [URL="http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?t=11785"]Caprica[/URL] thread.

As I recall, I wasn't too impressed by Alessandra Torresani's casting choice.

Let's see what happens after the pilot.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Ok, so the pilot tha taired last night, is the same (ish) as the DVD, so i can delete it from my TiVo and just watch it on DVD when i get around to it
    Yes, and you'll get to see the boobies that way too! :p
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    hooray for boobies...
    Huzzah!
    Alessandra Torresani seems like a good choice to me. She's very attractive, she's really gotten into the whole Cylon thing and she's been really friendly when I've chatted to her :)

Worf
    I'm sure she is. I guess Starbuck set the bar too high and put the standards out of reach for just about anyone else in that universe. :)
    I just watched episode 2 of Caprica and I have a bad feeling about where this show is heading. The production values are ok, as long as you see the Cylon model, but the avatar explanation comes across as a cheap way out to save money on 3D rendering time.

Anyway, it's too late now, the 12 episodes have been produced a long time ago. All we can do now is watch this train wreck happening in slow motion.

I seriously doubt this show is going to get extended. At least I haven't heard anything along those lines. Oh, well.
    Actually, they just finished filming episode 20.

Worf
    A very long train wreck. :D

So there is hope it will get better then.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I said the same thing about Heroes about 2 seasons ago.
    They can keep making an additional 12 seasons of Heroes for all I care, I stopped watching after the second season. It's rather pointless and a waste of time, talent, money and CO2.
    Enjoyed the third episode, although one thing stood out which highly amused me.

So they have the technology to build the twelve colonies, ships to get between them, prototype cylons and all sorts of other stuff.

And yet they still use VHS to record video :D

Worf
    Episode 3, and Patton Oswalt has Jay Leno's job?

I wasn't expecting to see so many mob tactics in this show, rough-ups, corruption, card games in the backroom, contract kills & racketeering. What will it be next, laser Tommy guns?

I can't feel my heart beating, am I an avatar too? No, you are perfectly fine, you aren't supposed to feel your heart beat in normal conditions. :D
    I won't be rewatching this show. Will tune in, but... doesn't seem worth a rewatch. I already am losing interest in the direction it's going.
  • Well then. This "series" actually managed to do something where others have failed; I had to stop watching the pilot half way through.

Horrible. *shivers*
    I also noticed three minor BSG cast members have shown up. In the pilot, the women Greystone talks to at the end after the demonstration was on the quorum. In episode 2, the bartender was also the bartender on Galactica. And most noticably, Duck was in episode 3 as one of the Turon gangsters.

Worf
    Funny, one of the investigators looks very much like [URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935057/"]Peter Wingfield[/URL] from [I]24[/I] or at least the [I]Highlander[/I] (TV) series, yet IMDb doesn't know about it yet. :D

I'd be worried if I cared enough, but I don't.

In some ways it all seems a bit lazy how they added certain ingredients to the series, and it shows.

Wait, wait, ok, picture this, Caprica with its own set of Nazis, no? Ok, how about, ninjas? Everybody loves ninjas, right? Fine, then let's just add some mobsters, you gotta give me something.
    The doctor from Seasons 1-8 of SG-1 was also in the latest episode. Good to see her again.
    Yeah, saw her too. Amazing she has hardly aged at all.

Worf
    Also, can't believe I forgot to mention her. Kat was in it too!

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm sure many minor cast members will re-appear in this show, what with it being Vancouver and all.

Anyway, the pace is slow but I'm still interested. There's a lot of buildup going on, and everyone writing it off isn't giving the show a fair chance. Complaining about the alternating CG/Live Action is just stupid, as it's clearly meant to be a storytelling point. Having the Zoe character attempt to relate to the audience through the prototype Cylon chassis wouldn't be effective narrative as we wouldn't have any visual relationship to her humanity. At the same time, switching back and forth reiterates its absence at key points. As far as mob ties go, it seemed fairly certain that things were heading in the gangster direction for some time. Not much of a shock there.

I do, however, greatly dislike the opening credits. And I'm not sure of it yet, but I may actually feel that McCreary's score might not be complimentary to the mood of the show. It's a beautiful score, but there are times where the intensity seems to be mismatched. And this isn't to say I think the plot is innocent, either. The story direction does feel cliché and the overall aim seems both vague and ponderous, but we're only a few episodes in. I'm going to give the show a season and go from there.

Also, I regularly feel my heart beating, but that's because I'm slightly odd and occasionally suffer from an irregular rhythm. :p I used to get really freaked out when I'd feel it skip a beat here or there. The result was immediately apparent that something wasn't right, so I may have a slightly stronger connection to that line/concept than others here because of it.
    I agree with the switching between the CGI prototype and Alessandra. Initially I wasn't sure how it was going to work (like much of the show) but I do like it.

Looking at the way things are heading, seems like they're building up the tension between the colonies. I can't help thinking if they end up at war, it's going to accelerate development of the Cylons.

Definitely going to stick with it for the rest of the season.

Worf
    I get that all the time Sanfam. Infact, almost every night I can feel my heart beat :p

I like the setting of Caprica and it's characters, but I'm not a fan of all these schoolkids on the show. Granted, they aren't really schoolkids in real life but I can't imagine my grandmother enjoying Caprica after watching all of BSG.
    Oh yeah, well complaining about the opening credits isn't exactly the smartest thing to do either. :D

I tell you, it doesn't bode well for a show if we talk about the cast members and not about the story. It's just not compelling enough at this point. It's just dragging on and on. That weird teacher, those inadequate kids, those frustrated billionaire parents. I just don't feel any connection, I can't relate to them.

And I'll let you in on a little secret (I never got to use that expression anywhere else, so please bear with me), all you need for human emotions is a human face. [I]Robocop[/I] is a prime example for that. But that probably requires a different budget.