Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caprica

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Episode 7, is a mixed bag, like a chocolate mustard sandwich. Too many pins are spinning in the air... I'll have to see what episode 8 brings to the table.
    Episode 8 is actually better than episode 7 for the sole reason that it is a lot more focused, you only have two plot lines, two sets of characters to follow. Less is more.

Of course Daniel Graystone's methods to get Zoe to react are despicable and show the ruthless side of this corporate scientist but he does draw a line that he doesn't cross with her. I don't see Zoe's anger towards her father to be reason enough to start a Cylon rising. There has got to be more than that.

I see no reason to stop watching, even Joe Adama's stumbling around in the virtual world is entertaining for the most part. Imagine your grandpa playing a GTA game, now how funny would that be? :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    And that concludes the first half of season 1.

Hard to believe this show I wasn't sure would work has actually become one of my favourites. I know some people here are having a hard time with it, which is a shame.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, I assume it will be back after Stargate Universe.

Worf
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I agree. Great show.

Spoiler: Man, I wasn't sure who was going to die there at the end. She kills the lab assistant, I was waiting for sister Clarise to die, Amanda jumps off the bridge. Thats actually a shame, because I really like Paula Malcomson, I loved her as Trixie on Deadwood too. I hope Zoe can create the program again so that she can bring her back.
    Episode 9, as could be expected, ends in a cliffhanger.

If we learned anything from this show, don't ask any favors from anyone called [I]Adama[/I], don't start any military contracts with anyone called [I]Graystone[/I], and don't join any social club called [I]Soldiers of the One[/I].
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;187694]I agree. Great show.

Spoiler: Man, I wasn't sure who was going to die there at the end. She kills the lab assistant, I was waiting for sister Clarise to die, Amanda jumps off the bridge. Thats actually a shame, because I really like Paula Malcomson, I loved her as Trixie on Deadwood too. I hope Zoe can create the program again so that she can bring her back. [/QUOTE]

Spoiler: My guess is that Clarice will somehow save Amanda, and that's why they showed that she wasn't killed by the car bomb. It would've seemed crazy if we come back in several months to find out that not only had Clarice just happened to step out of her car at the right moment, but her doing so was also instrumental in resolving Amanda's cliffhanger. This way, at least, things seem a little less, well, soap-opera.

I thought the Zoe montage at the end was really well done. And it was interesting seeing Greystone start to snap under the stress. "Makes it unique? A nifty poker player? It's a robot, not a pet, and certainly not a person. It's no more special than your fancy cell phone, and right now, I don't need a cell phone that'll check my mail and wipe my ass, I need a cell phone that works!"

And, of course, major props to the Bear for the mini-opera. [url=http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4076]Read all about it[/url], including who the male vocalist happened to be. After hearing the soundtrack version of Gaeta's Lament, I thought it sounded like it from an opera. Maybe it's the same one?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    So I've finally gotten around to watching the show! I've only watched the first two episodes so far, so I've skipped over the comments posted about the later episodes. What I've seen so far tho I definitely like!

Yes its a lot slower than BSG was, but thats ok in my book. Not everything has to be fast paced with epic battles (although epic battles are good!). I don't know how the later episodes go, but I am enjoying the slightly more relaxed pace with the gradual character evolution. I find it to be a pleasant change tbh, although I hope they feel confident enough in the writing to do some fast paced episodes later on.

My two cents for now.... :)
    Wait until episode 5 :)
  • im rly behind this, just started watching episode 6
    The second half of the season begins tonight. At last.

Worf
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Worfs lady is back :)
    I wish she was my lady ;)

Two episodes in and the show is already a huge improvement over the previous half a season. I can see why they changed showrunner.

Hopefully, Amanda Greystone will be less useless now too.
  • This show doesn't make sense:

[LIST=1]
    [*]First we have Daniel Graystone. He loses his company and his wife after he turns to the mob for underhanded help. So to get it all back...he turns to the mob. Which in return for their 'help' will own his company, at which point they will probably corrupt and destroy it. Fabulous plan!
    [*]Next we have Clarice. Her big plan is to promise people 'resurrection'. To me this would be like if the Catholics promised anyone who converts a free iPod. Once people figure out there's such thing as an Apple Store, it's not going to be very popular.
    [*]Then there's the ill-fated Barnabas, but also the rest of the STO in general. What exactly does the STO hope to accomplish? The monotheists seem to be living in relatve security on Gemenon. From the way the Caprican FBI agents are talking, nobody seemed to really care about them until they started blowing things up.
    [*]Adama seems to be the only one not holding the idiot ball so far. Even his sojurn into NewCapCity is forgivable - his daughter *is* out there, and I don't think anyone but Doc Frasier blames him for looking for her. But if the writers have their way, I'm sure he'll start doing moronic things any second now.
    [/LIST]
    1. Because he has nowhere else to turn and he knows the Tauron's have influence over Vergis.

2 and 3. The STO wants to spread their beliefs to the rest of the twelve colonies, with violence apparently being their method of choice. Think of it like Al Qaeda using terror to try and get their voice heard. In the Middle East, they are safely able to practice their beliefs but view the rest of the world as a threat. Same thing goes for the STO.

4. The Adamas are probably the most interesting group of characters on the show.
  • [QUOTE=WORF;190161]1. Because he has nowhere else to turn and he knows the Tauron's have influence over Vergis.

2 and 3. The STO wants to spread their beliefs to the rest of the twelve colonies, with violence apparently being their method of choice. Think of it like Al Qaeda using terror to try and get their voice heard. In the Middle East, they are safely able to practice their beliefs but view the rest of the world as a threat. Same thing goes for the STO.

4. The Adamas are probably the most interesting group of characters on the show.[/QUOTE]

1. He could ditch the mob and patch things up with his wife. He had his time being rich and powerful, and he threw it all away by lying, stealing, and murdering his way back to the top the second things weren't going his way.

Again, even if he succeeds, the mob will be the ones at the helm of his company, not him. As much as he'll want to screw the mob, we've already seen they can kill his wife, him, or anyone else whenever they please. Plus it will only drive his wife further away. He gains nothing.

2. Your response to 2 and 3 didn't really cover 2. The second any person with intelligence hears the word 'v-world' in association with her little 'resurrection' scam, and they'll figure out it's just software - which can be copied.

3. In our world, Al-Qaeda has all of the US's perceived and real meddling in Middle Eastern affairs producing a steady stream of malcontents to be recruits. If they were living off on some other planet and the US wasn't really bothering them, they'd have a much harder time finding willing recruits.

In our world, the justification usually is of the form 'They're infidels, and they've done X to us', not simply 'They're infidels!'

4. I'm just holding my breath and hoping they don't pick up the idiot ball next episode.
  • My patience is running thin, waiting for something interesting to happen on this show. I was really hopeful for it, and even forgiving of the slow start of the first several episodes. But all I am seeing is mediocre corporate and political intrigue, played up to a false sense of suspense by Bear's always-enjoyable score and dramatic close-ups.

I fear that its slot on my DVR will not survive to the end of the season.
  • First I've heard of this project:

[URL="http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/22/syfy-adama-blood-and-chrome/"]Galactica: Blood and Chrome[/URL]

That sounds more like what I've been wanting them to move toward on Caprica, the first Cylon war! Sounds like they'll start 10 yrs in, but I guess that gives them many opportunities for flashback stories, should it go to series?
    Nice to see that project is evolving beyond a webseries into something bigger.

I suspect they may give Caprica a second season and use that to setup the young Adama series.

My only reservations about the concept is using photos of the sets instead of rebuilding them and I can see this series being expensive. If it's not popular, it will get cancelled fast :/

Worf
    And that's another show cancelled.

The final five episodes will be aired early next year :/

[URL="http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/27/breaking-syfy-cancels-caprica/"]Link[/URL]

And I was just thinking how much I enjoyed this week's episode :(
  • I hope the last episodes haven't been filmed yet.

At least then we can be treated to a rushed trainwreck ending rather than a cliffhanger.
    Unfortunately, they were completed months ago.

Hopefully they knew by that point the future of the show was uncertain and planned accordingly.

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    This week's episode was pretty good oerall, but it again illustrated that the core problem with the show is how it repeatedly failed to advance the story in any meaningful way between most episodes. Growing the story shouldn't be dependent upon the presence of action or violence, but the writers seem to be of the mindset only really capable of making sweeping progress through it. This worked in Galactica, but clearly failed in Caprica.
  • They made reference to Caprica in last night's episode of Big Bang Theory.

It was funny, ironic and sad all at once.
  • The sad part being that you watch The Big Bang Theory.
  • I find Big Bang Theory a very funny show! Great references!

Like Caprica, the show isn't appreciated by everyone. But it's appreciated by enough people to keep it on the air ;)
    Looking at how the show is progressing, I think the writers might have been aware they'll be a one season show. Or at least thought it was likely. With episode 14, it's starting to become clear how the Cylon War came about.

So I think the season finale isn't going to show us that but will give us a pretty good idea of how events unfold between that episode and the war.
    What the frak at episode 17's ending.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I'm not surprised its been cancelled. It just never got going for me. There was no flow at all, the story lines too complex (I've felt for a long time that the VR stuff was tacked on last minute) and I didn't connect with any of the characters. Such a vast gulf between this and BSG. I've watched all episodes, not because I was looking forward to the next one, but just out of curiosity really. Which says it all. I think even Bear struggled with the music aspect. The score from the pilot I liked and the recurring themes throughout the season were good, but it lacked something. Which contributed to the overall "can't put my finger on it" feeling.

Its a shame really. There was potential there and I thought the pilot was good. Oh well bring on Blood and Guts... I mean Chrome :p
  • [QUOTE=WORF;190529]What the frak at episode 17's ending.[/QUOTE]The one character with plot armor, too. Turned a really tragic moment into a "Well then..."
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I agree completely on the points of general confusion and overcomplexity. Caprica tried very hard to squeeze as much lore and needless variety into its world in an attempt to make it appear deeper than it could possibly be. It was backstory overload with all of the characters being underdeveloped.