Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

PC Booting Issues

So my brother and I are building my parents a new computer, and we put in my old GeForce 7600 into it. I put in my brother's old 8600 GT, and......nothing. Power is on, fans are turning, DVD burner is working, mboard LED is on, but the blue light on my power button doesn't turn on, and my video card does not work, and thus I do not get into BIOS (I get the 4 warning beeps after several seconds).

My brother and I troubleshoot. The 8600 works in my parent's new computer, and my 7600 no longer works in mine. So both graphics card works, but my computer magically stopped working. Any ideas?

[I]UPDATES AS OF TODAY:[/I]

I stopped getting beeps. So I reset the CMOS battery, and I made sure the PC Speaker wire was firmly in. Turn on. Now my power button lights up blue, and my beeps are 1 long and 3 short. According to my manuel, that is VGA not activating, which points to the GPU....which works in other computers.

Also, the GPU fan does turn on and function!

Comments

• RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    1 long and 3 short usually indicates a graphics problem (EGA Adapter...wierd, but true)...I doubt your MB is the issue. Do you have a 3rd known good card to try out?

Sounds stupid, but, if the MB has more than one PCI-X slot, have you moved the card around?

-Rick

-Rick
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    " and my 7600 no longer works in mine."

Wouldn't that mean both cards [b]do not[/b] work any longer?

Seems simply like a bad card. Probably some sort of damage in the transfer. Things happen. Try with another, if you can dig one up. Worst case scenario, cards are dirt cheap right now. Upgrade to a Radeon HD 5670 or something similar for under $100 and you'll have something to carry you into the future.

Another less likely possibility is that the pcie slots are a bit dusty. get a can of air and blow them dry to see what happens. Check for obvious visible damage on the card, too.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I have to ask, why are you still assembling computers these days?

Is it to hurt Steve Jobs? Is it to annoy your parents? What have they done to you?

What are you trying to prove?
  • You seem to miss the point that croxis and I tested BOTH the 7600 and the 8600 in another computer and they work great. The cards themselves are not the issue.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    If the graphics cards needs extra power cable from PSU maybe it's a PSU issue.

Stingray: Are you serious?
    [QUOTE=C_Mon;188374]Stingray: Are you serious?[/QUOTE]

Are you?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;188371]I have to ask, why are you still assembling computers these days?

Is it to hurt Steve Jobs? Is it to annoy your parents? What have they done to you?

What are you trying to prove?[/QUOTE]

What are [i]you[/i] trying to prove?
    Isn't it obvious?
  • No.

Anyway, I think it could be a power issue too... How many watts PSU do you have installed?

Or you could Ask Scotty to provide more power!
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE=Stingray;188371]I have to ask, why are you still assembling computers these days?

What are you trying to prove?[/QUOTE]

Are those really the only reasons you can imagine someone would build their own? Or are you just trolling?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    430 watts, neither card has an extra power connection.
    But-but-but what about the iPad? :(

You can't be serious... it was obvious. We can't just ignore progress and stop consumerism. :D

[IMG]http://risingtide.org.uk/files/rt/Cartoon%20-%20Consumerism%20for%20Beginers.jpg[/IMG]
    [QUOTE=CurZ;188387]Are those really the only reasons you can imagine someone would build their own? Or are you just trolling?[/QUOTE]

It was probably another attempt to prove he's better than the average Internet user, because [i]he[/i] can troll without using rude words. :p
    Yeah, I missed you too. Where have you all been? :D
  • Well, this could be something that is not around anymore... But worth of checking I suppose.

In the old days you had to select from the BIOS which type of display adapter is initialized first, PCI or AGP. If you can find a working graphics card that gives you access to check BIOS for these type of settings, it might be worth of try.
    Most likely it's something broken in the slot or the bus. Probably something got damaged when you were changing cards. Sometimes it happens, unfortunately. I agree with the recommendation to get your hands on a 3rd card to test with.
    Atm i'm betting it's the mobo that's dead.

Also, if there is something i've learnt from fantasy games, it's that a good troll is a dead troll. :p
    Heck, the only PC I have that wasn't built by me is my XPS laptop....and even that one I opened up and changed out the CPU, HDD, and added bluetooth and wireless-N...

No shame in DIY. None at all.

-Rick
    Oh, and SeaFroggy--

I must agree with those that are saying it may be a power issue.

Does the card have an auxiliary power connector? If no power is supplied, it may fail (not sure what level of user you are--not trying to be insulting in any way). Also, as someone pointed out earlier, check to make sure the PS in your parent's machine is at least 400-420 watts. Nvidia GeForce cards are notoriously power-hungry...way moreso than equivalent ATI/AMD parts.

-Rick
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Since he's dealing with a 7600/8600, I don't believe auxiliary power is even an option. Those two models are both fairly power-thrifty, too. I'm less inclined to suspect power and more to suspect physical damage to something (like a slot). Different cards use different pins on occasion. And back in that time, ATI was the power hungry one. Their cards were the heroin addicts of the power world :P
    I was pretty sure that I'd seen a GF 7600 with auxiliary power and now I remembered. It was on a AGP version, which is quite obvious now as AGP port doesn't supply the same amount of power.
    I have an 8600GT and GTS. The GT has no auxiliary power connector, but the GTS does.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    @stingray - Because I can build 10x the PC at half the cost of just about every pre-fab POS. Plus I get better warranties on the components. When I select the parts, I have more comfort in knowing my PC has a quality in it that cannot be matched. Every pre-fab manufacturer out there skimps somewhere on parts. Usually in the power supply which can mean death for your PC later.

Why not build? given your own comments... Do you just like stroking Steve Jobs ego?

@OP - try another motherboard. You should be able to pick up a cheap one. Its the most likely candidate.
  • Haha I highly doubt its PSU since why did my 7600 stop working? 430 should be more than well enough. No seperate power cable.

My parents also use a 430 Earthwatt as well.

I have always been learning toward new mobo but this post is to make sure there arn't any other possible solutions.

Maybe I still have my 6600 lying around somewhere. Get that little fan starting right up!
    For those of you who can't be bothered to read the whole thread. I was just poking fun, ok? I'm glad to see you are not all falling for the fruit company.

Carry on. :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Why read the thread when there's arguing to be done! Now we just need someone to invoke Goodwin's Law and this thread will be complete! :p
    Shut up, you damned nazi.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Exactly, ShadowDancer, which is why I am arguing with you that you should have read the thread since you did not.

Oh, I skipped reading the thread so I could join in the argument!
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    That 7600 might be very bad, if it has a short or something, you just shorted the new mother baord. re-check connections, new mobos can also be defective, hey it happens. Some model numbers have inherent problems so the mobo model # should be googled.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    This problem has been resolved. It was the motherboard. It has now been upgraded and can now support the 45 nm cpus, which the old one could not.